Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Serial Stowaway -- what's her deeper story?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Serial Stowaway -- what's her deeper story?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder if the airline would count honorary EQM's for her travels. Obviously EQD would be an issue lol
Well, with Southwest's program it's all spend based, so she'd have no points there. But United she could get a PQD waiver from carrying the Chase UA Visa and maybe qualify for elite status based on PQMs awarded. Obviously UA is more stowaway friendly.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:43 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: I've just pulled out a couple of quotes that are more appropriate for Omni. I'd like to gently remind you all that politics can be freely discussed there. Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not understand how this person is able to frequently board airplanes. she goes thru security, time and time again. what is the difference between this old lady who is just there for the ride, and a little old lady with a bomb?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
i do not understand how this person is able to frequently board airplanes. she goes thru security, time and time again. what is the difference between this old lady who is just there for the ride, and a little old lady with a bomb?
From all news reports she has only evaded people checking tickets. She has not evaded, or even tried to evade, security screening for dangerous possessions.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
From all news reports she has only evaded people checking tickets. She has not evaded, or even tried to evade, security screening for dangerous possessions.
I know there are exceptions to the "must have a boarding pass" rule for going through security but I was under the impression that those exceptions are few. I might need to research more on how exactly she's getting past TSA.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by slawecki
Ummm...little old ladies don't generally carry bombs.

Not sure about her mental status, but at that age, I'm guessing she is doing it because she can, and she is old and thus doesn't really care about consequences or rules - and that is not a mental health issue, which can be confirmed by anyone who lives in a condo in South Florida.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Ummm...little old ladies don't generally carry bombs.' beware of little old ladies bearing gifts
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I know there are exceptions to the "must have a boarding pass" rule for going through security but I was under the impression that those exceptions are few. I might need to research more on how exactly she's getting past TSA.
Per various pieces of reporting about her actions, she is not fast-talking her way past the security staff who check boarding passes and IDs or attempting to present fake documents to them, she is simply slipping past them unnoticed while they are distracted with large groups and at busy times. Once past the ID checkpoint she goes through the rest of the security check normally, including bag x-ray and magnetometer/millimeter wave systems. The people operating those portions of the security checkpoint do not recheck travel documents (except at specific airports and/or at times of extreme threat precautions).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: US Gold
She's in her 60s. That does not qualify as "old" these days, if it ever did. It's clear that she's highly practiced. Also, we have no idea what her miss rate is, because the press primarily reports her successes. I think she'd struggle to get through at Heathrow, where everyone has to pass individually through an automated gate with a coded boarding pass. It seems quite clear it's a mental health issue, from what I read.

wg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.