Wiki Posts
Search

Do you carry all your toiletries?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Do you carry all your toiletries?

I tend to travel alone most times so I have things I want to do, save time etc .. so I carry all my toiletries in 100ml sizes poured into a plastic small bottle if need be. Many people I know wait till they get overseas and buy them they may however carry perfume and lipstick but in terms of toothbrush, shampoo and soap many don't.

To what extent to you guys carry your toiletries?

I've even know 1 or 2 that didn't carry a carry-on and bought their socks and undergarments too (!).

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got allergy issues. Foreign, I always bring my own. Domestic, if practical as I might have to hunt around to get suitable brands.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I hate having to deal with the hassle and time-sink of buying toiletries upon arrival. I carry everything I need in 100 mL or smaller (most are much smaller) bottles in a clear plastic bag. This is very effective as I fly strictly carry-on most of the time. It helps that my toiletry needs are simple; I typically carry just 4-5 small bottles of liquids.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
The only liquids I carry are face wash, hand lotion, shave oil and a prescription cream. Well under the limit. I use a baking soda-based tooth powder and a bar of Dr. Bronner's soap.

The shave oil I use is only 15ml but good for ~90 shaves. Smells nicer than most shaving creams anyways.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I am a girly girl but on hols I am different. I don't take perfume, usually take basic make up but usually dont wear it. I don't take shampoo, conditioner or toothpaste. Deodorant is what I take. All put in checked luggage.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I bring a few select items. My deodorant. My shampoo/conditioner and hair mousse. Travel size roller ball perfume. My other half travels with his shaving cream but could care less about the shampoo portion.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:19 am

In my 3-1-1 liquids bag:
  • Lip balm
  • Face wash
  • Toothpaste
  • Shaving cream
  • Saline nasal gel
  • Hair styling product
Also carried, but not under 3-1-1:
  • Razor
  • Kleenex
  • Band-Aids
  • Dental floss
  • Cotton swabs
  • Antiperspirant wipes
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: LH M+M
I usually carry all I need for the first days at least. Buying on arrival is a pain.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
So much easier just to check a suitcase and not have to worry about all of that.
CDTraveler, vbnet and NoizeBoy like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:36 am

I usually carry all my usual toiletries (facial wash, moisturizer, serum, cleansing oil, conditioner, deodorant), sans shampoo and body wash (unless I'm going somewhere I know will not provide me with these). Fits in my usual 311 bag. I've swopped to using stick-type makeup and cushion foundation so that frees up any liquids limit and I can put all of that in a separate bag.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: DL EK QR TK
I just carry stuff I know I will have a problem finding in the countries I plan to visit. I buy the majority of everything when I arrive, usually, the second day. Hotels and even the airlines (amenity kits) carry all the basic stuff anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Mostly I take them with me and only buy at my destination if I absolutely have to. The primary reason is because the shampoo I use is medicated and not universally available.

The second reason is a bit more quirky. I learned years ago that when I use hotel or locally-purchased toiletries I'm conscious of smelling differently than usual. Using my own stuff makes me feel (smell?) more "normal" and less "foreign."
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
So much easier just to check a suitcase and not have to worry about all of that.
The effort to carry a few small refillable plastic bottles in a clear plastic bag is negligible.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: FB Gold, MB Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I have a toilet bag with the basics (tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, perfume) with me on any trip. Depending on what kind of hotel I'm in, I use whatever I get and buy whatever I need.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I don't carry any liquid or powdered items. Given the tsa's curiosity as to what is inside of all containers and their total inability to put the caps back on and Oh yes the frequent trips to the laundry I find it easier and takes less time to acquire what I need on - site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.