FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Making sense of LiveATC feeds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1886834-making-sense-liveatc-feeds.html)

airmotive Jan 10, 18 8:50 am

Hey OP, it sounds like you have some interest. Why not head down to your local airport and take a couple introductory flying lessons and maybe ground school?
No need to go through the whole program. Just tell them your interest in how the system works.
No better way to learn how ATC operates than by operating within ATC.

gfunkdave Jan 10, 18 9:16 am

Originally Posted by airmotive (Post 29274540)
Hey OP, it sounds like you have some interest. Why not head down to your local airport and take a couple introductory flying lessons and maybe ground school?
No need to go through the whole program. Just tell them your interest in how the system works.
No better way to learn how ATC operates than by operating within ATC.

Because I haven't got piles of money sitting around that I have nothing better to do with. I did go to flying camp for two weeks when I was a kid and enjoyed it. And what's the point of just taking an introductory flying lesson if I'm not going to get a license and use it?

Tanic Jan 10, 18 9:26 pm

A much cheaper option. Give your local ATC facility a call and request a personal tour that includes listening to tower controllers upstairs and radar controllers downstairs. Here's the phone I found for PWM (207) 775-0602.

teddybear99 Jan 11, 18 12:26 am

Most airports are now equipped with a computer which puts out the ATIS recordings based on the entries of a local controller. One thing I like about FLL's observation area near the west end of Runways 10/28 is the speaker that plays the ATC of Departures and Landings. I used to have a scanner that would allow me to listen to all frequencies in the airline band as well near an airport. Sometimes you would hear internal communications of an airline as well as the ATC feeds.

Since Radio Shack is gone, you cannot pick up a scanner easily anymore.

gfunkdave Jan 11, 18 7:43 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 29277880)

Since Radio Shack is gone, you cannot pick up a scanner easily anymore.

Amazon returned 3800 results for "radio scanner". I think they're still pretty easy to get. :)

I know it's against the rules but I have always wanted to have earbuds into a scanner while flying. I miss UA's channel 9.

teddybear99 Jan 11, 18 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 29278972)
Amazon returned 3800 results for "radio scanner". I think they're still pretty easy to get. :)

I know it's against the rules but I have always wanted to have earbuds into a scanner while flying. I miss UA's channel 9.

I haven't bought anything online yet with my credit cards, and don't plan on it. I have seen and heard of too many friends who have had there CC info stolen by using it online. My plane tickets are always bought using a "gift" card which I buy and activate in a brick and mortar store. I have a friend who uses Ebay or Amazon all the time and I just pay him to buy something for me if I need it. I am one who "Cash is King" for most of my purchases.

cblaisd Jan 11, 18 10:59 pm

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/alc/libview_normal.aspx?id=17272

http://atccommunication.com/category/audio-lessons

COSPILOT Jan 12, 18 12:57 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 29282494)
I haven't bought anything online yet with my credit cards, and don't plan on it. I have seen and heard of too many friends who have had there CC info stolen by using it online. My plane tickets are always bought using a "gift" card which I buy and activate in a brick and mortar store. I have a friend who uses Ebay or Amazon all the time and I just pay him to buy something for me if I need it. I am one who "Cash is King" for most of my purchases.

I purchase online stuff via amazon, target, Home Depot, etc. Your credit card is at more risk at your local gas station via skimming devices. Since credit card companies do a pretty good job of covering charges not made by you, I find credit cards much safer than cash. As I travel for work nonstop, its about once a year that my corporate card is compromised, and with a few minutes on the phone, everything is worked out. For me, its after I attend trade shows in Vegas, and I'm pretty sure its the taxi drivers that pull this crap... But if my wallet is stolen, the cash is gone for good. My only advice is to never, ever, use a debit card for purchases.

ROCAT Jan 12, 18 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 29277480)
A much cheaper option. Give your local ATC facility a call and request a personal tour that includes listening to tower controllers upstairs and radar controllers downstairs. Here's the phone I found for PWM (207) 775-0602.

Your mileage on that will very based on the facility. Most will say no if you are not with a known group ie flying club, flight school, airline or you know a employee.

frobozzelectric Jan 13, 18 7:12 am

liveatc and flightradar

my wife just rolls her eyes when i am on those two apps while in the lounge.

i love listening to all different accents of controllers from other countries not my own.

i find NRT controllers most challenging to understand but i am sure they are doing a fine job.

KDS777 Jan 13, 18 12:04 pm

I used to live for Channel 9 on United...........I could listen to the chatter for an entire trans con flight easily.

PAX_fips Jan 20, 18 9:05 am

I think this shows nicely how the handovers and tasks are radioed