Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you do in an emergency evacuation?

What would you do in an emergency evacuation?

Closed Thread

Old Jan 9, 18, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
tentseller and Badenoch like this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
That said, who knows what the timeline for getting your carry on back might be in such a event. I'm guessing if anyone has an idea, you might. My guess is that it's probably one of the lowest priorities.
In my experience of an emergency evacuation, it was about 30 to 40 minutes before we got our carry-ons. After the evac, the plane was sprayed with foam (fire retardant, I'm assuming), inspected by the fire crew, then bags were retrieved. Checked bags did take a while longer - they had to tow the plane off the runway so the airport could reopen before they got the bags out.
Old Jan 10, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
And as a friendly reminder...keep your shoes on until you've reached a point in the flight where you would have enough time to put your shoes back on if an emergency landing is necessary.

And add me to the "move to the exit or be moved clear of the isle" camp.
Being narcissistic does not make you more knowledgeable than the flight crew during an emergency.
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:19 am
Suspended

The first reasonable point in this thread from the "leave things behind" camp.

That said, who knows what the timeline for getting your carry on back might be in such a event. I'm guessing if anyone has an idea, you might. My guess is that it's probably one of the lowest priorities.
I find it unfathomable how someone could continue to worry about getting their carry-on when a plane has had to be evacuated. I don't care if I EVER get my carry-on items back. I don't care if my wallet, passport, cash, crown jewels or anything else goes up in flames. The ONLY thing I care about is LIVING to tell the tale.

The unfortunate thing, is while you are deciding if you have time to get your carry-on out of the overhead bin kb9522, other people may die as a result of your non-compliance with the law. From my perspective, your value system is in serious need of change.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
I find it unfathomable how someone could continue to worry about getting their carry-on when a plane has had to be evacuated. I don't care if I EVER get my carry-on items back. I don't care if my wallet, passport, cash, crown jewels or anything else goes up in flames. The ONLY thing I care about is LIVING to tell the tale.

The unfortunate thing, is while you are deciding if you have time to get your carry-on out of the overhead bin kb9522, other people may die as a result of your non-compliance with the law. From my perspective, your value system is in serious need of change.
Right. Every evacuation is life or death.

And which law are you referring to that prohibits me from removing my carry on.
Old Jan 10, 18, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
And as a friendly reminder...keep your shoes on until you've reached a point in the flight where you would have enough time to put your shoes back on if an emergency landing is necessary.

And add me to the "move to the exit or be moved clear of the isle" camp.
Being narcissistic does not make you more knowledgeable than the flight crew during an emergency.
The only narcissism is on the part of FAs and pilots who think passengers are too dumb to be given all the information.
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Right. Every evacuation is life or death.

And which law are you referring to that prohibits me from removing my carry on.
Are you really that simple minded or just being deliberately obtuse? The point is YOU don't know if a given evacuation is life or death or not.

The law you are breaking depending on which country you are in is a law such as 'criminal negligence' or 'reckless endangerment'. When you are on a plane, the Captain's word is law according to International Law. That means that if you disobey his command to evacuate in any way, you can then be charged under the local laws that would cover such an act.

When the Captain tells you to evacuate (through flight crew as well), that also means without stopping to get things out of an overhead. It is not a request, it is not voluntary, it is a command that has legal weight and as such also has legal penalties for non-compliance.
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:07 pm

The only narcissism is on the part of FAs and pilots who think passengers are too dumb to be given all the information.
Thus speaks someone who has ZERO experience of real life emergencies, and that remark exemplifies the ultimate in narcissism.

Seconds matter in a fire. In the time it would take the FA or pilot to announce "The left engine is on fire, there is fuel leaking onto the ground and a strong chance the fire will spread to the fuselage, so please evacuate in an orderly manner and rapidly proceed away from the plane" quite a few people could have gotten out of the plane. All you need to know that qualified personnel have called for an emergency evacuation. Follow the instructions of the crew, or sit in your seat and pout while you wait for "all the information", your choice, but don't block others from exiting while you play with your luggage.
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Thus speaks someone who has ZERO experience of real life emergencies, and that remark exemplifies the ultimate in narcissism.

Seconds matter in a fire. In the time it would take the FA or pilot to announce "The left engine is on fire, there is fuel leaking onto the ground and a strong chance the fire will spread to the fuselage, so please evacuate in an orderly manner and rapidly proceed away from the plane" quite a few people could have gotten out of the plane. All you need to know that qualified personnel have called for an emergency evacuation. Follow the instructions of the crew, or sit in your seat and pout while you wait for "all the information", your choice, but don't block others from exiting while you play with your luggage.
You probably shouldn't speak with an assumption of my qualifications.
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
Are you really that simple minded or just being deliberately obtuse? The point is YOU don't know if a given evacuation is life or death or not.

The law you are breaking depending on which country you are in is a law such as 'criminal negligence' or 'reckless endangerment'. When you are on a plane, the Captain's word is law according to International Law. That means that if you disobey his command to evacuate in any way, you can then be charged under the local laws that would cover such an act.

When the Captain tells you to evacuate (through flight crew as well), that also means without stopping to get things out of an overhead. It is not a request, it is not voluntary, it is a command that has legal weight and as such also has legal penalties for non-compliance.
So then why weren't all the people with carry ons in the picture posted above promptly arrested and tried? Maybe because your presumptions are simply not true.

By the way, spare me the insults. Make a point or a move on.

Last edited by kb9522; Jan 10, 18 at 1:50 pm
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite

You probably shouldn't speak with an assumption of my qualifications.
Are you a psychic? The NTSB could really use your help, because it takes them months to reach the same conclusions you make before they even get to the scene.
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P

So what if you HAVE "all the information"? It still doesn't matter, because you don't have the right to prevent others from following an evacuation order just because you don't think it warrants your compliance.
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.

​​​​​​​Evacuation is a group effort, not an individual effort.
As a whole, yes, the group IS too dumb.
WAY, WAY too dumb.
But narcissists are always the exception. Right?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston View Post
So what if you HAVE "all the information"? It still doesn't matter, because you don't have the right to prevent others from following an evacuation order just because you don't think it warrants your compliance.
But physically harming others, and risking hurting them enough to prevent them from deplaning at all, is perfectly acceptable. Got it. What an interesting world view some FTers have.
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
As a whole, yes, the group IS too dumb.
WAY, WAY too dumb.
I've read enough of this thread to know how true that statement is.

Search this Thread