Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

No Large Planes Fly from NYC to Kentucky ? Really??? [Flight anxiety]

No Large Planes Fly from NYC to Kentucky ? Really??? [Flight anxiety]

Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Turbulence will be felt on large and smaller aircraft so not sure the aircraft will make a huge difference if turbulence is your real issue. It sounds like your anxiety is pretty bad, is driving the whole trip an option?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Turbulence will be felt on large and smaller aircraft so not sure the aircraft will make a huge difference if turbulence is your real issue. It sounds like your anxiety is pretty bad, is driving the whole trip an option?
True. That said the small ones (i.e. turboprops and piston-engines) generally flow relatively low where a storm can make for an unpleasant ride whereas the jet would cruise far above that weather.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Driving is worse for me, anxiety wise lol. Once I am up in the air Im fine. Its more the unknown of a small plane which I never been on. Plus I read that turbulence is much worse on smaller planes. Thankfully its only a 2.5 hour flight. Hopefully actual airtime is less. As soon as we begin to descend Im so so so much more relaxed.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by JonboyOhBoy
Driving is worse for me, anxiety wise lol. Once I am up in the air Im fine. Its more the unknown of a small plane which I never been on. Plus I read that turbulence is much worse on smaller planes. Thankfully its only a 2.5 hour flight. Hopefully actual airtime is less. As soon as we begin to descend Im so so so much more relaxed.
You should see a Shaman or something because going through life with Anxiety about flying AND Driving is no way to live.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A nonstop flight means that the length of time you feel anxiety will be lessened. There is nothing about the -145 which makes it less safe than the 737's an 319-320's you will find on connections.

You are more likely to die driving to/from the airport than in the aircraft.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"You are more likely to die driving to/from the airport than in the aircraft."

Well, that should certainly relieve the OP's anxiety!

scottpenderson and gfunkdave like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
What is the flight time between the two airports- a couple hours max? You’ll be fine
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
What is the flight time between the two airports- a couple hours max? You’ll be fine
2 hours 30 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Keep reminding yourself of this: the pilots won't fly into something they think is unsafe. They're on the same plane you are and have the same interest in their safety as they do in yours.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I used to have very similar fears to yours, and in fact…

I once did exactly what you are contemplating, booked a flight with a stop to be able to take mainline aircraft all the way. I’ve always regretted it, as on the return trip I braved the smaller plane and despite thunderstorms we were fine and I felt much safer having only one flight of a couple of hours. I’m not saying indulge your fears – there’s definitely things you can do about fear of flying – but for me the time in the air and only having one take off and one landing helped my fear quite a bit.
Lost likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by squeakr
I once did exactly what you are contemplating, booked a flight with a stop to be able to take mainline aircraft all the way. I’ve always regretted it, as on the return trip I braved the smaller plane and despite thunderstorms we were fine and I felt much safer having only one flight of a couple of hours. I’m not saying indulge your fears – there’s definitely things you can do about fear of flying – but for me the time in the air and only having one take off and one landing helped my fear quite a bit.
I agree - the people I know who are anxious about flying are most uncomfortable before a flight begins and during takeoff. By taking a nonstop flight, you minimize the time spent under both conditions..
Lost likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Ferris Asante
Why is that most people stick to only one mode of transportation?
New Yotk City to Louisville is over 700 miles. What method of transportation would you suggest if not flying?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Just to update you all; I made it today [img]//content.invisioncic.com/r159280/emoticons/default_smile.png[/img]

It was tough though. The anxiety started in the taxi on the way to the airport. About 1 hour before boarding I took .50 mg Klonopin. The took the edge off. The plane was small, but I tried to focus on sone music on my iPhone. It was only 2 hours in the air, so before I knew we were making our decent. As we began descending the anxiety decreased more and more.

Im stuck here until Friday when I return. I plan to do the same .50 Klonopin on Friday. But I believe that will be a better trip because

1-Im heading home, not away from home

2-its usually a shorter flight heading east to NY
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @JonboyOhBoy.

Glad you made the trip ok.

Please follow the redirect as we send this thread to Travelbuzz.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
(1) There are lots of ways to get from New York to Louisville or Cincinnati in bigger planes.
(2) There are ways to get to SMF in particular in the E170 series, which I think of as a more-comfortable version of a 737.
(3) Flying in the little RJ's - the CR2, the E145, etc. - is safe. Just uncomfortable for anyone over four feet fall or who doesn't enjoy sitting on a rock for 3 hours.
(4) As much as I don't like the little RJ's (because I am not an elf), I dislike unnecessary connections and wouldn't be a huge fan of a 2-3 hour drive after landing. So I'd still book it if I really needed to be in Louisville proper.
(5) I second the Shaman suggestion - this really is an irrational fear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.