Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: parents who let kids watch programmes on tablets on flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Rant: parents who let kids watch programmes on tablets on flights

flying today on BA 1416 from LHR-BHD and family in J has a very noisy kid. Now everyone expects kids to be noisy at times on flight but I don’t think it acceptable to start showing kids TV programmes with volume playing annoying music that is audible by other passengers. Surely the CC should be told not to allow this?

sorry. Rant over!
ttama, TPRun, orbitmic and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Ask if they can just turn it down?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
I am guessing you have tried using your ear plugs, noise cancelling headphones or had a word with the parents to ask if they can just turn it down?
Or the parents could just put head phones on the child - rather than the 12/15/18 passengers nearby

Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Or the parents could just put head phones on the child - rather than the 12/15/18 passengers nearby

Good point!

I had to edit my original post as I didnt realise at first it was such a short flight so they wouldn't be given out
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

It's not always that easy. There's no easy choice between bored and tired child screeching because he/she/it is tired and bored, or screeching because he/she/it feels uncomfortable in headphones when changing altitude in a pressurised cabin, or playing a video on an ipad with audible audio.

I remember the short lived snoring thread where the answer to noise nuisance was something along the lines of "touch me and it's assault" followed by "it's public transport, innit". I think the initial response from most parents would be more conciliatory, but along the same lines ultimately. Personally in both situations I put the Bose headset on.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Someone in the BOS lounge was being extremely loud earlier.

I looked around but couldn't see his parents, so walked over and asked him directly to kindly be quiet on his phone.

He was courteous, apologised, and carried on with his phone - but speaking in a hushed tone.

He was in his mid 40s.

M
ttama, wrp96, bisonrav and 23 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Seems to be a phenomenon that has only become acceptable in the past couple of years. I'm sorry but it is RUDE, however young your child, to sit listening to or watching something without headphones. It happened recently on a Club Europe flight where a guy was playing a game on his iPad which was making very loud noises. I politely asked him to switch the sound off and he did, but I struggle to understand how people can have so little self awareness or consideration for those around them.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Regardless of age, in confined spaces it’s never acceptable to have volume level high on mobiles or tablets

Kids / adults can play games etc without the device making noise
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:51 pm

Tablets for kids are great. On my last family trip back from Athens my 3-year-old sat quietly watching hers for the entire flight. Headphones on, of course.

What I don't get with some of these people is, how come they don't get annoyed by it? I don't want to listen to my kid's programmes any more than anyone else does. Apart from Hey Duggee maybe. I like Hey Duggee.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It's not always that easy. There's no easy choice between bored and tired child screeching because he/she/it is tired and bored, or screeching because he/she/it feels uncomfortable in headphones when changing altitude in a pressurised cabin, or playing a video on an ipad with audible audio.

I remember the short lived snoring thread where the answer to noise nuisance was something along the lines of "touch me and it's assault" followed by "it's public transport, innit". I think the initial response from most parents would be more conciliatory, but along the same lines ultimately. Personally in both situations I put the Bose headset on.
Alternative solution: all children pay full fare.

Alright, jabbing aside, one is still responsible for teaching their kids right. Are they gonna be upset if they have to use headphones? Let them screech. I'd be much happier hearing a parent scolding their kid for being inconsiderate and then the kid screeching than seeing the lack of consideration for others being passed down generation after generation.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
I’ve had to ask adults to turn the sound down during a pre-flight safety briefing so I could hear it :-(

At least a child has the excuse of being uneducated about these things. Adults — less so!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I honestly think it's about time BA implemented a "you must wear a headset/earphones if you are listening to any sound on your own device during flight".

It seems obvious and common courtesy and should not need to be said, but it's becoming increasingly uncommon to have any basic courtesy towards others.

On probably about 50% of my recent flights there was someone within earshot (both children and adults) that was playing their device without the headphone/earphones.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
Alternative solution: all children pay full fare.
Apart from infants, I believe children pay the same fare on BA. Any difference may be in APD that does not apply to children in Y anymore.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I find it a very sad state of affairs that we now live in a world where it is suggested that it is acceptable behavior for anyone child or adult to play things on speakerphone in public.

The fact it is an issue and it is defended as needed is to me a statement of how backwards manners and considering others has gone. It is such a selfish act and one in which there are technological solutions to get round. Can you imagine if 75% of the cabin decided to be so selfish and then each started increasing volume to hear over the person next to them.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:43 pm
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I find it a very sad state of affairs that we now live in a world where it is suggested that it is acceptable behavior for anyone child or adult to play things on speakerphone in public.

The fact it is an issue and it is defended as needed is to me a statement of how backwards manners and considering others has gone. It is such a selfish act and one in which there are technological solutions to get round. Can you imagine if 75% of the cabin decided to be so selfish and then each started increasing volume to hear over the person next to them.
... you can be the most respectful and aware, well-intentioned person in the world - there is no reasoning with a tantruming 2 year old consoling themselves with the ipad with sound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.