Wiki Posts
Search

A simple solution to reduce irritation with children

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
A simple solution to reduce irritation with children

There have been a few threads in here about irritation caused by children. I should know - my then 2 year old once jumped out of his seat, reached forward and yanked the two tufts of hair belonging to “Dilbert’s boss” in the row in front. (If this happened to you en route to AGP please accept my apologies!)

So how about giving customers more information to help them reduce the chances of sitting near children.

A simple solution would be to colour infants and under 11s a different colour in the OLCI seat map.

its not foolproof - families may check in late - but I’d bet on most flights such information would help those easily irritated by the kids.
ibrandsguest and sgm like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
To be honest I find adults can be just as irritating as some children, so I'm not sure what this thread will achieve!

Let's not forget that a lot of children are really well behaved.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
A simple solution would be to colour infants and under 11s a different colour in the OLCI seat map.
If one doesn't like kids, then just stay away from bulkheads where the infants usually sleep. Other than that kids are IMO something you have to accept. May compassion is inversely proportional to age and/or disability of a fellow passenger.

A 16-year old will not get the same leniency as a 2-year old or someone, as being discussed in the other thread, a child with a disability.

BTW: The most disturbing passenger I have encountered to this day were adults that had too much booze.
Grog, rakehey and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Short answer = contraception

Longer answer = it's usually easier to negotiate harmony with adults than with the spawn of the species
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Why not just reserve certain parts of the map for adults only?
Oxnardjan, The_Bouncer and sarahuk like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Proper planing prevents peeved pax.

My tip for small children is to fly with a bag of indervidually wrap small items and divide the flight into 15 minute slots one item or meal for each 15 minutes.

What does not work is to wind up already stressed out parents.
Contador likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:42 am

Westjets solution would work . I know they have been linked before but they are ageless in their appeal

I like there solution for the boarding gate queing also as it beats groups

tapeguy likes this.

Last edited by TPloser; Dec 16, 2017 at 7:44 am Reason: wrong link
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel ŕ PUCCI GALORE
Sadly, in this day and age advertising where young children are seated on an aircraft is not likely to be a clever move.
prncess674 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
When I read the header, my first thought was: "scrub them well!"
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Easy answer: "Sedation."

But seriously folks: the problem is usually bad parents (and parenting) rather than bad children.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Special "section" for all disruptive people regardless of age.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread has been moved from the BA forum to here to open it up to a wider audience as it is non-BA specific.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Flew ET yesterday on a flight with a toddler and parents, who I had given a very very wide berth in the lounge. The father had - at lunchtime - consumed at least 4 very large glasses of wine and the mother was on something fizzy. The father was plainly the worse for wear by the time boarding began but carried on with free G&Ts on the plane (this was an LCY flight). The toddler did not behave badly, but the same cannot be said of the parents (esp the father), who engaged in an endless show of ostentatious parenting and generally behaved as though they were in their own living room and with a complete disregard for all those around them. The usual story that its not the kids who need to be avoided but, very often, their parents ....
rbwpi and trooper like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:01 pm

That can be the case anywhere..............I used to coach and umpire junior baseball..... (as a 17/18 year old)

I reached the conclusion fairly rapidly that junior sport would be improved immeasurably for the officials AND FOR THE KIDS by banning the parents from attending.... (tough on the good parents I know...but the bad ones? Jesus!)
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I have rarely been irritated by children. The irritation most often comes from parents who won't make an effort to control their children.
pharmawalk, rbwpi and trooper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.