Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rant: parents who let kids watch programmes on tablets on flights

Rant: parents who let kids watch programmes on tablets on flights

Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I honestly think it's about time BA implemented a "you must wear a headset/earphones if you are listening to any sound on your own device during flight".

It seems obvious and common courtesy and should not need to be said, but it's becoming increasingly uncommon to have any basic courtesy towards others.

On probably about 50% of my recent flights there was someone within earshot (both children and adults) that was playing their device without the headphone/earphones.
Absolutely! That's actually the policy on my local BUS network....and most of the drivers enforce it (to the best of their ability).....how much more appropriate for transport that can last SOO much longer than any bus trip?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I remember one eejit had his ghettoblaster playing Simple Minds at full volume on a flight to GLA back in the 80's. The crew weren't long in telling him that if he wanted to remain 'alive and kicking' he had better turn it off.
knifeandfork likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I remember one eejit had his ghettoblaster playing Simple Minds at full volume on a flight to GLA back in the 80's. The crew weren't long in telling him that if he wanted to remain 'alive and kicking' he had better turn it off.
It was a strange time. Holding those devices on the shoulder walking down the street. I never understood then, and I struggle to understand similar behaviours now.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:48 pm
Suspended

You guys should visit China to understand what you encountered is really a minority. In China you will be forced to listen to the soap opera on phone from the old auntie and uncle, then the very private talk from a girlfriend to her boyfriend, and annoying kids playing loud video games... Thank goodness mobile phone is banned during flight in China. At least during flight it was an oasis.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I remember the short lived snoring thread where the answer to noise nuisance was something along the lines of "touch me and it's assault" followed by "it's public transport, innit". I think the initial response from most parents would be more conciliatory, but along the same lines ultimately. Personally in both situations I put the Bose headset on.
You mean "hope"? "Wish"?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by chongcao
You guys should visit China to understand what you encountered is really a minority. In China you will be forced to listen to the soap opera on phone from the old auntie and uncle, then the very private talk from a girlfriend to her boyfriend, and annoying kids playing loud video games... Thank goodness mobile phone is banned during flight in China. At least during flight it was an oasis.
Not limited to China. That's my everyday public transport commute here in SIN
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
In Hong Kong, it's often Korean soaps. The watcher won't understand a word of Korean (reads the Chinese subtitles) but the sound still has to be loud enough for everyone on the bus/train/tram/minibus to hear. And even if they choose to use headphones, the sound is up so high that people for several rows can hear it. Arrggghhh!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:34 pm

On New South Wales Trainlin services, they make an announcement that headphones must be used if listening to music or watching content on any electronic devices.

Last edited by camsean; Dec 19, 2017 at 8:36 pm Reason: random capitalisation
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:44 pm

Similar thing happened to me on a J Etihad flight. Mom had her kid on her lap and let her watch stuff on her ipad. The J seats had this annoying configuration where this woman was rear facing which made it even worse. This was while the lights were fully off and everyone was in sleep mode (the kid had slept during the meal & takeoff). My wife and I complained to the flight attendant and they ended up moving us to different seats rather than confront the woman. We considered fighting but in the end we just wanted to sleep so we gave up and accepted the new seats.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
The volume of passive aggressive tension in this thread is quintessentially British
Dambus and LCY8737 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Family rule for electronic devices when outside home: no headset = no sound.
That said, I remember more adult with full volume videos on the phone (both at the gate and on the flight) than kids.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:23 am

Far worse at the moment is the gentleman who has been pacing round the GLA lounge for half an hour on the epitome of a DYKWIA call.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by techie
The volume of passive aggressive tension in this thread is quintessentially British
That!
bisonrav likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Ah, I feel your pain.
I will however add some context in similar situations I have found myself in.
We have an iPad loaded with fireman Sam and peppa pig. It lives in an indestructible iPad cover that would probably survive a necular war. We also have Frozen earphones, which could be the most popular thing in our house. The child sometimes takes these out to play with without our knowledge. Every long haul flight we have remembered them no problem. There has been a couple of short haul flights where they have been forgotten.

I dont one know your situation so I can only describe my own. There is no amount of reasoning, bribery, scolding, pleading, begging, gin, brandy or whiskey that can calm my two year old like the sound of that bloody pig. I have played it before for her on a flight without earphones. I have kept the volume as low as possible. It may not be popular but I’ve taken the decision that the noise of that bloody pig is preferable to full scale fallout. This isn’t to say it’s right,I should always remember the earphones but sometimes accidents happen.

The flight from from Belfast is about an hour, which I’m sure you know well. If possible try not to let it bother you.

For or any parents I suggest a google of Scottish peppa pig, definitely NSFW and not for children’s ears.
wrp96, madfish and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
In the countless flights I've been on this year, I've been irritated by:

1) Loud mobile phone usage around pushback or in lounges (several times)
2) Full recline w*nkers in WT or WT+ (many times)
3) People not cleaning up in the toilets after a "number 2"
4) Someone noxiously farting in First all night
5) Snoring, countless countless times
6) Being kicked in the back by a toddler (once, he was trying to sleep and although it woke me up with a jolt it didn't last long).
7) Armrest wars in Y.

Being annoyed by audible noise from a child's electronics or phone, not one single time as far as I can recall.

It's fascinating the difference in tone between this and the snoring question - loud snoring is much more prevalent and much more irritating. This is presumably because snoring lives more in the circle marked "self" and noisy children are in the circle marked "other people (see also the "lowering of societal standards" and "the inevitable decline of society")". As I said, the defence from snorers was "it's public transport, therefore touch me and I report you for assault". Same applies here really, well, not the assault part, but it is public transport and you see a spectrum of behaviour. I don't see the problem very much if at all, if I do I assume there's a reason and work around it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.