Reload this Page >

Rant: parents who let kids watch programmes on tablets on flights

Rant: parents who let kids watch programmes on tablets on flights

Closed Thread

Old Dec 20, 17, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holloway1000 View Post
Is this not OK in WT+??
It's sort of OT, but yes, WT+ seats can come a hell of a long way back. It can be pretty annoying if you're not sleeping, as the IFE gets positioned inches in front of your face.

Oddly enough I mind it less in WT, where the difference between fully reclined and not reclined is less, and you start off with less of a sense of entitlement I guess.

Is it wrong? No not really, but I try to half recline rather than full recline and check behind me before engaging the magic button. But it is public transport at the end of the day.
Old Dec 20, 17, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
In the countless flights I've been on this year, I've been irritated by:

1) Loud mobile phone usage around pushback or in lounges (several times)
2) Full recline w*nkers in WT or WT+ (many times)
3) People not cleaning up in the toilets after a "number 2"
4) Someone noxiously farting in First all night
5) Snoring, countless countless times
6) Being kicked in the back by a toddler (once, he was trying to sleep and although it woke me up with a jolt it didn't last long).
7) Armrest wars in Y.
I take it you fly for work purposes rather than for pleasure?
Old Dec 20, 17, 7:42 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
I think it is extremely inconsiderate for parents to use the external speakers of their mobile device for their kids. Same with adults doing the same on the train and other public transport.
Nobody wants to hear whatever cartoon / movie / game you are watching. I would never let me kids (4 yo and 1 yo) do that.

I have only asked the FA on flight (this was CX) to tell the offending parent off once (which to their credit, they did). I have also personally confronted a person who did that on a Singapore train.

I would hope though for airlines (and other public transport providers) to explicitly implement this policy - to not be able to use the external speakers of their mobile device in public.

And to parents who say there is no reasoning with a child who insists on using their mobile device with sound - I would say that is a cop out. And if your child can ONLY be comforted by watching some cartoon with full blown sound, wow, that is a serious issue.

If only more people adopted the Japanese concept of not causing annoyance to others, and respect even the quiet spaces on public transport.

I am actually thinking of downloading an app that plays say a screeching noise or high pitch alarm. if someone is being inconsiderate by using their external speaker, it would be a good idea to play that app in his direction, and see their reaction (after all if it is ok for them, it should be ok for me??)
I did exactly this on a train once. I played the pipes and drums of Scotland on my phone. I was approached by a third party who asked me to turn it off. I said "if you get him to turn his off I would gladly oblige"

the episode ode ended in a nice quiet carriage
ermen and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 7:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If some one has paid the price to travel in First, aren't they entitled to noxiously Fart all night?
bisonrav likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
I had to politely reprimand my wife for watching videos without headphones on the CCR terrace last month. While she's a generally courteous person it had not occurred to her that this was considered inappropriate. My kids on the other hand much prefer wearing headphones.
Old Dec 20, 17, 8:03 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
So sad that parents choose to not actually play with their child instead of a give them a device. Guess what, before devices children flew. What a great time to color together, play hangman, play tic tac toe, look out the window and ask the child what they think clouds look like. My son started flying with me when he was 18 months old in 1992 and was an Elite at age 3. No devices and we actually enjoyed flying together and that included transcons and Europe flights

BTW. When he drew a picture of the airplane and had it given to Captain he always got invited (with me) to the flight deck. That was of course pre 2001. Have lots of pics of him
wearing Captainís hat.
PETER01 and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I take it you fly for work purposes rather than for pleasure?
Lot of column A, bit of column B. I have a job and family that points me east.

Though column B much more from the second half of this year into next, when I developed an irrational desire for gilded plastic.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 9:20 am

I can't even think this is a topic being actually discussed: what sad times... Not that the past was better I am not looking backwards but this is SO common sense. Airlines need to enforce much tougher rules against that sort of behaviour. When I see those posts on Instagram showing how poorly behaved people can be on an aircraft, I feel disgusted. And frankly, a child not supporting or not being able or whatever... Not my business. Not other passengers either. Just don't bring him/her on a flight if that's the case, but others have certainly no effort to make to enjoy their time without being disturbed. It is far too easy those days those calls: "you're too harsh", "this is how it is", "try to understand". Just NO, lol.
Old Dec 20, 17, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
Recently a colleague of mine was talking about her upcoming holiday and how the iPad would be such a godsend as her daughter would be able to watch her favourite cartoons on the plane. She qualified this (in case we were to think she was a bad parent) by stating that her 2 year old would have to listen to it without earphones in case they would cause damage to her ears.

I pointed out that maybe the other passengers would not appreciate listening to Peppa Pig on loop throughout the flight and she was genuinely shocked at my response. Clearly being too wrapped up in plans for keeping her daughter occupied in the air, It clearly had not occurred to her about the potential impact on other passengers.
Unfortunately there are many parents around who simply don't consider the needs or comfort of people other than themselves or their child. Whether it doesn't occur to them or they just don't care, I don't know.

It is completely unacceptable to allow a child to watch videos with sound or listen to music without headphones, other than in your own home or hotel room. If the child is unable for any reason to use headphones, then it is the parent's responsibilty to find an alternative solution to get them to behave.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
In my my post I should say iPad in public is a last resort but I donít care if your children have been sent to the finest Swiss finishing school. A two year old throwing a tantrum is inevitable. If itís easier for her to watch five minutes of that pig on a low volume then Iíll do it, itíll calm her down and make the cabin a more pleasant place.
While that theory is reasonable in reality the chances of people playing them at a low volume and only for 5 minutes is from my experiences pretty rare and thus making any sort of policy (which I believe there should be on planes and trains) where headphones must be worn impossible to enforce! I will say in no way do I think it is just children, I am pretty fed up of being sat in a lounge when someone decides to facetime next to me, again this might be at an airport, in a hotel or again on a train!
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 9:56 am

OK, but let's have a policy on snoring too. If you can't control your snoring, don't fly.

Hopefully this unseasonably misanthropic and as far as I can see almost entirely non-BA related thread will disappear shortly down the same chute to oblivion the snoring thread did. In the meantime, let's all ask Santa for a double strength set of Bose Quiet Comforts and a seat far away from the bassinets.
Old Dec 20, 17, 10:31 am

I would rather listen to annoying music than a screaming child.
Old Dec 20, 17, 11:04 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
OK, but let's have a policy on snoring too. If you can't control your snoring, don't fly.

Hopefully this unseasonably misanthropic and as far as I can see almost entirely non-BA related thread will disappear shortly down the same chute to oblivion the snoring thread did. In the meantime, let's all ask Santa for a double strength set of Bose Quiet Comforts and a seat far away from the bassinets.
Last month I spent listening to the loud snores of a passenger on a Lufthansa 340 all the way from MUC to MEX (all 10 hours of it as he went to sleep as soon as the plane took off). He was just across the aisle seat from me, nothing, raised seat divider, ear plugs, headphones- could help me sleep.
Going by the sentiments in this thread I should have asked the cabin crew to wake him up and ask them to tell him not to sleep if he can't control his snoring as it is disturbing others.
Old Dec 20, 17, 1:05 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
Alternative solution: all children pay full fare.

I'd be much happier hearing a parent scolding their kid for being inconsiderate and then the kid screeching than seeing the lack of consideration for others being passed down generation after generation.
Our son is now 8. We started taking him on long haul flights when he was 4. He has ADHD. We fly with no fewer than 5 activities for him. When he was younger he would occasionally accidentally kick the seat in front of him or push hard enough on the screen to move the headrest. When he did this we were quick to admonish and ask him to apologize to the person in the seat in front. That usually got us a lot of understanding from the person he bothered.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 3:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This topic was originally posted in the BA forum. However, as it appears to be a rather universal problem, it has been moved to TravelBuzz so that everyone can share the pain of those menacing noisy devices

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum