Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I prefer connecting flights to nonstop flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:41 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Going TPAC and on my d(t)ime, I only fly through Japan...get to do some souvenir shopping, too.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I always enjoy connecting flights to nonstop flights. As I don't travel for business or leisure (soley transportation back and forth between school and home) the extra time doesn't bother me. I get to get up, get food, tick another plane off my list, and split up longer travel.

Having had experienced 7-9 hour flights before, somewhere in the range of 8-10 hours is my cutoff point. Anything else I will split up.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Independent
I am a leisure traveler, and for me half the fun is the whole flying/airport experience, so when traveling by myself I usually prefer a connection. Not to mention they are usually cheaper, too. I am flexible enough that I can roll with the misconnections and know how to deal with interruptions. Of course not being tied to a business schedule helps, too.

I admit that as airlines are flying at capacity these days it is harder, and not having status doesn't help, either.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Time of day is also a factor in whether I choose a non-stop or a connecting flight. For example, on a recent trip SFO-TLV and back I took a connection on the way out and a nonstop on the way home. Both were good decisions. The flight to TLV was partly during the daytime, so having a connection allowed me to eat dinner at "normal" time on the ground and then sleep on the connecting flight. On the was back to SFO it was all overnight, so I took the 15 hour 10 minute nonstop figuring I'd sleep most of the way-- which I did.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I did 14 hours IAH-DOH last year and it was sheer misery. Never again.
SFO-HKG or EWR-HKG are 14.5h. I can and have done them in past number of times with UA's Y.

It is SFO-SIN non-stop which broke camel's back. From now on SIN to SFO/LAX only via NRT/HND.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I did 14 hours IAH-DOH last year and it was sheer misery. Never again.
Is that one on the A380? I've found the EY flights LHR-AUH interminable and they're only about six hours. Squashed in with seemingly every seat taken, constant queues for the few available lavs, tons of noisy kids, etc., etc. Difficult to find relaxation. When I travel to the Middle East in Y I much prefer the half empty LH flights.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Is that one on the A380? I've found the EY flights LHR-AUH interminable and they're only about six hours. Squashed in with seemingly every seat taken, constant queues for the few available lavs, tons of noisy kids, etc., etc. Difficult to find relaxation. When I travel to the Middle East in Y I much prefer the half empty LH flights.
Nope. It's a 777 and by halfway through the flight I was losing the will to live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.