Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

missing out cause you're flying premium

Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Between flying premium classes and getting lounge access, and Priority Pass when I am not, I realized I miss out on many things in airports and on planes.
Some airports, like Singapore's Changi, are wonderful and have so many things to do. Video games, movie screenings, lily and butterfly and cactus gardens. But I don't explore anymore. I just head to the lounges.
And on flights, even though the big seat upfront is nice, you miss out on interesting passengers (seated in economy last time on a domestic US flight I encountered a strange experience with a lady asking to plug her headphones into my laptop. Something that I could never imagine would happen upfront), the view outside (first in some airlines blocks out your windows), edutainment (Berlitz anyone?) which is like a blast from the past.

I guess you cannot have it all.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why, despite the crowds, I always take second class on trains.
Biz is boring.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
If I didn't have lounge access on my last trip, I probably would have tried for Proud Bird during my long layover at LAX. Seems like it'd be a cool place to visit once. As it was, the layover was just short enough that I was too worried about missing my connection. Maybe next time I fly through there.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:03 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you feel like your missing out change your patterns.

When I am at a new airport lounge access or not I will make a point to walk the concourses that are connected post security. In some smaller airports this may only take 5 minutes end to end, but at least I did a little extra walking before I end up stuck sitting on a plane. At larger airports this can also be interesting for example at a place like IST its interesting to walk past a boarding gate for an Iraqi Airways flight to Baghdad, or the TK flight to Somalia. In PTY to see people flying back into Valenzuela with everything going on there right now. At a place like ORD where so many terminals and concourses are connected this can really eat up a layover. I spend enough time in Admirals Clubs taking a walk from the L concourse to the B concourse at ORD is always a nice way to break up a layover.

Your lounge access doesn't get revoked if you don't head straight there post security. Take a moment to wander through the terminal and then head to the lounge, or leave the lounge before they make your boarding announcement so you have some extra time to see more of the airport.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I'm in a cool airport, I wander around instead of going to the lounge. I mean, I *like* lounges, but unless I'm heading to one of the best int'l F lounges I would definitely find checking out a new airport more interesting.

Yes, flying J/F means you're missing out on the joys of flying Y. But sometimes you gotta just suffer and power through it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
If you feel like your missing out change your patterns.

When I am at a new airport lounge access or not I will make a point to walk the concourses that are connected post security. In some smaller airports this may only take 5 minutes end to end, but at least I did a little extra walking before I end up stuck sitting on a plane.
Yeah I do that too. I like to get that little bit of extra time walking before sitting on my duff for hours
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allow me to break out my tiny violin.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
When AMS was the only decent international hub from ABZ, every Rig Pig (me included) was KLM Platinum.
Believe me, it was often nicer to just sit out in the main concourse!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Allow me to break out my tiny violin.
At least in the 21st century, those excluded from society can console themselves with warm nuts.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
the view outside (first in some airlines blocks out your windows)
Wait...which airlines do this? If I booked F and couldn't ever see outside I'd be livid.

I agree with your sentiments, though. I've had some good times meeting people in the back, and some airports are worth more than a hasty walk to the gate.

Seth
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:11 pm

I just head to the lounges.
Sounds like a personal choice. You don't have to do that. And why would you if you'd rather be in the terminal?
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Wait...which airlines do this? If I booked F and couldn't ever see outside I'd be livid.
None.

Also, I've had some great conversations in F/J over the years. Whether a seatmate or in the galley or in the on-board bar. There are opportunities everywhere if you choose to take advantage of them.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I always explore new airports out of sheer curiosity, but disagree with the premise of the OP's thread.

For me, personal comfort, relaxation and privacy far out rank "unwanted" personal interaction (or otherwise) when travelling..........
Dave737 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

People I’ve met in first or business

Celebrities
Chuck Berry
Robert Plant
Bob Weir
Rod Stewart
Dan Rather
George Takei
Others I’m forgetting

Discussions I’ve had with people sitting by me in first or business

A woman who was a poet on the DeathJamPoetry show on HBO about the intersection between science (I’m a scientist) and the arts particularly by people who do both. We talked a lot about Da Vinci. I had recently returned from a Da Vinci drawing exhibit on “The art of the macabre” at Buckingham Palace that showed how Da Vinci used math to draw macabre faces, usually among the clergy.

Discussion about Chinese food with a woman who was a professional chef and was returning NRT-JFK after vacationing on a woman chef’s tour of China

A guy who was going to Africa for a photo safari. He had done several before and I had done one and we talked about different countries and parks.

Those are are just some that jumped out of my memory tonight.

​​​​​​​

trooper likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
None.
For seats without a window? Never flown ANA? Don't speak like you've flown every airline in the world then.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:15 pm

For seats without a window? Never flown ANA? Don't speak like you've flown every airline in the world then.
Wow...I haven't flown ANA in F so I had to look up a picture. That's some sloppy design, with the equipment blocking two of three windows including the one most visible from the seat. Thanks for the warning!

Seth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.