Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

2017 Travel Statistics - how did you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Travel Statistics - how did you do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by B747forever
My friends all think I am crazy when I fly TATL from LAX for short weekends.
How do you do that?
Even if you leave Fri night and return Sun night, I'd imagine you'd have 24hrs or less at your destination.
That's more like MR.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by evergrn
>200k miles, all personal/leisure travel? That is amazing! Are you still working?
Yes. I am still at least couple decades away from retirement age. I actually started working full time only 3 years ago, cutting down my vacation time significantly, to about 12 weeks. This year was down from last year, and I forsee 2018 to be much less flying as well.
I dont think that its that uncommon for someone to work full time, and still have a few weeks off and travel. I'd rather do that than have 2 weeks off a year and fly for work for the other 50.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
BIS Miles: 53,418
Segments: 34 (3 in J, 31 in Y)
Continents: 3
Longest flight: NRT-IAH (6643 miles)
Shortest flight: HOU-MSY (303 miles)
New airlines: NH, OZ, AM, AS
Strangest route: IAH-MEX-AMS on AM Y (error fare!)

With the exception of a nice J product I got to try on NH, and my first real trip to Japan, I was really disappointed with my travel year. This marks the lowest overall mileage in the last 3 years, and with only 1 TPAC and 1 TATL, I hardly deserve to be able to call myself an FTer. I had to scratch a trip to Morocco that was planned for last month which would have added 1 more TATL and probably 10k miles. As usual virtually all of my travel was personal, with only 2 of the 34 segments being work related, and as you can imagine, zero airline statuses achieved. Hoping for a better year in 2018!

Last edited by krazykanuck; Dec 7, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
124k miles for me, and I only managed two continents! Strangely, while the mileage has varied quite a bit over the last 4 years, the number of flights has been very stable - 65 this year, previously 66, 64 and 64.

One more trip to go!

Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes. I am still at least couple decades away from retirement age. I actually started working full time only 3 years ago, cutting down my vacation time significantly, to about 12 weeks. This year was down from last year, and I forsee 2018 to be much less flying as well.
I dont think that its that uncommon for someone to work full time, and still have a few weeks off and travel. I'd rather do that than have 2 weeks off a year and fly for work for the other 50.
I'm envious that you got 12 weeks of vacation time and that represents a drop-off from past years!
That's great. We should all have that.
My vacation time works out to ~4 weeks, and I squeeze 3-4 international trips out of it. Almost always economy.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I’m coming off being very sick in late 2015 and early 2016. Docs cleared me for travel but it was a very light year for me. Around 50K miles with a little bit booked yet for the year. I cleared lifetime 2 million miles on AA which was a goal. I have now have lifetime Plat on AA and the equivalent on UA as well. I was a 1K and EXP together for a number of years. Not sure if I’ll travel that much in the future. Well, I’m sure I won’t do both in the future but probably not even one of them.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I amused that this discussion of "How did you do [for the year]?" started on Nov 30. If I'd attempted to answer it then based on my forecasted travel I'd have been off. Since December 1 I've had two additional trips come onto my calendar, and a third trip has been significantly changed from earlier plans.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
A very light travel year for me (84K miles - lowest since I discovered FT in 2011), with virtually no work travel after a job (and country) change. It did allow me to explore my new country a lot, though, and I ended up with 141 flights (my 3rd highest ever) and 49 airports visited/24 airlines flown.

Lots of new ports: ARM AVV BHS BME BNK BWN BWT CEB DBO DGE DRW GFF GFN HTI KNS KUA LDH LST LSY MCY MEB MKY MRZ NRA NTL OAG OOM PKE PPP PQQ ROK TMW TRO TSV WTB
Lots of new airlines: 5J AK BI BL D7 FP FY JG OD PR QQ SH SL TT VA VJ ZL

Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BIS miles: 124,027 (2nd Best Overall)
Segments: 143 (A New Record)
Longest: SYD-LAX (7,502 Miles)
Shortest: CLT-GSO (83 Miles)
Airlines: 14: AA, AF, BA, DL, G4, IB, KL, NZ, OA, QF, TK, UA, VX, WN
Airports: 57: AKL, AMS, ARN, ATH, ATL, BDL, BHM, BOS, BTV, BWI, CDG, CLT, CVG, DAL, DCA, DEN, DFW, DTW, DUB, EWR, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, IST, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LCG, LHR, MAD, MCO, MIA, MKE, MSP, OKC, ORD, ORY, PDX, PHL, PIE, PVD, RIC, RDU, RHO, SFO, SGU, SJC, SJU, STL, SYD, TPA, USA, WLG
Map:

Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We did a lot of travel by ship and rail, but very little by air. I don't have a fancy map.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Paid BIS was around 60k for the year. Redeemed 2 TATL awards plus a bunch of short stuff using Southwest points.

That's about where I like it. I'm at a point in my life where I really don't want business travel up in the 100k+ range.

2017 became the year I was introduced to AS (both the FFP and flying their metal), thanks to an uptick in PDX travel.

Main "new" airports for me were DXB and HYD.

We did a couple family roadtrips as well - a nice break from the hassles of air travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.