Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are coach-class travelers looked down on by premium-class ones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Smile

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The value of it is not bragging rights. The value in it is being away from the riff raff.

In person, I am polite and respectful to the inferior types. They can't tell what I really think of them, but lying in a full flat bed and eating well on a marathon long haul flight feels so much better sensing the suffering of the people in back and being glad not to be one of them. But that's a private, inner thought. I don't publicly show it for fear of their pitch forks and torches.
Don't worry about the pitch forks and torches. They'll never get past security.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Here is my question, and it's genuinely sincere (not trying to be snarky), at the end of the day does it really actually matter?

I mean, if the answer was "yes" what would anyone do about it? And if the answer was actually "no" would the people in coach believe it anyhow?

Regards
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:22 pm

I would have to say no, think of airlines as public transportation.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:17 pm

Personally, I really don't really care what other passengers think as long as they're polite and respectful. And I believe that most people like that (FT's have a dis-proportionate number of people with a certain outlook at other travellers). Where I think it gets people are those DYKWIA types that actually do look down on others (regardless of class)... So those who charge down the lineups thinking they're the most important people in the world and should be able to jump the queue....or start complaining about the cheap vinegar they call wine and how it's so much better up front...

Those are the people I look down upon. We all travel the classes we're sitting in for our own reasons. No need to look down on others as you don't know the background.
JordanYVR and AStarr like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
I'm an economy class flyer. I refer to economy class as steerage, mainly due to the physical environment of cramped seats and tiny bathrooms. Frankly, at the airport I don't even notice other class fliers, as I'm too busy keeping my own sh*t together and making sure it's where I can get it, when I need it, and that it gets on the plane with me. Other people are the least of my worries - Where did I put that passport???
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I heard that someone I knew, that was actually knighted in the U.K. and rather upper class once said, “ do you mean there are PEOPLE behind the curtain?”

That said, I don’t think the vast majority of travellors look down on those unfortunates at the back of the plane. Most of us have been there ourselves.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
With very rare exceptions, one of which happens to be coming up next week, I always pay economy fares. I'm fortunate enough to get upgraded a good deal of the time, at least to the front section of the main cabin that has the extra leg room if not further forward than that, but I don't become a different person when it happens. My thoughts are usually "there, but for the grace of God, go I."
ibrandsguest and AStarr like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Why would you think that or even care?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Why would you think that or even care?
It's simply a question. If you don't like the question, why are you bothering reading this thread?
AStarr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.