Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are coach-class travelers looked down on by premium-class ones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are coach-class travelers looked down on by premium-class ones?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF CL
I fly business or first whenever possible, because I like the overall smoothing of the airport process, the lounge access, the priority luggage and boarding, the better seats and space, the better sleep I'll have during the flight and the better wine I'll drink before I have that sleep. I don't care where anyone else is flying or why they chose that class of travel, unless they know about a points or cash offer I've missed....
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Coach is very much an American term. In many places, it's called economy class.

Legacy coach passengers look down on Southwest passengers who look down on Spirit.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
On most flights, the vast majority of first class passengers paid coach then upgraded for free or are non-revs (airline employees, their families and/or friends). The few folks who paid for first class (usually by their companies) would have to naive to think it is a "high class" cabin.
* US domestic.

Most flights are actually not in the US at all
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Yes.

I also recall a QF flight attendant stating and pointing to economy saying it was a zoo back there.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Yes.

I also recall a QF flight attendant stating and pointing to economy saying it was a zoo back there.
Of course, if people are treated like animals it rapidly turns into a zoo.

I take perverse pleasure on BA in referring to economy (where I invariably am) as fourth class, which it is. The staff don’t like that.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
We're fortunate to fly up front about 99% of the time. It's not exclusivity, its a matter of making the entire process of public air transport less stressful and relatively more comfortable. I don't look down on anyone but I often feel sorry for those in the back.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
"Have you ever noticed that when you are sitting coach anybody in first class is a snob, and when you are sitting in first class anybody sitting in coach is a peon ?" - with apologizes to George Carlin
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I read once of FAs referring to economy/coach class as "The Village," which I always thought kind of cute (peopled by the peasants?).

When we're seated in any kind of premium seating, we consider ourselves fortunate. We judge others solely by their behavior, not where they're sitting or what they're wearing (with a few exceptions).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Why else would we pay to fly up front, or board earlier? It's all about that scowl you get to throw at economy class passengers as they walk past you to get to their tiny chairs.
That's one of the things I actually hate about shorthaul premium seating (whether "business" class in Europe or just preferred/front-row economy)... I like to take advantage of the earliest possible boarding, so as to get out of the waiting pen and settle down in the airplane, but then you have to contend with all the people going down the aisle right there next to you...
Turning left on the bigger planes is much better in this regard, even if the left should just be front economy cabin.

Originally Posted by PTravel
I don't look down on coach pax, particularly because, these days, that's what I am 99.9% of the time. However, stupidity annoys me, particularly willful stupidity. I have no patience with seat poachers, people with young children who they let drag their own mini-rollaboards down the aisle thereby holding everyone up, people who think "no metal" at security doesn't include their 30-pound pot metal costume jewelry necklace, people who abuse FAs (and call them "stewardess"), once-a-year flyers who, when they don't get their way, tell some poor GA, "I'm never flying YOUR airline again!", people who think they can bring steamer trunks on board as their carry-on, people who use DVD players and the like without headphones, people who don't understand that the middle seat gets both armrests, people who try to pass off 4-year-olds as under-2-year-olds ("he's big for his age"), people who leave a mess at their seats, people who change diapers at their seats, etc. I most definitely DO look down on them.
Oh god, so true.

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Coach is very much an American term. In many places, it's called economy class.

Legacy coach passengers look down on Southwest passengers who look down on Spirit.
And legacy economy class passengers in Europe look down on LCCs, even when flying no status, BoB-only, no hold baggage, tight-back row "legacy" on a ticket four times the prize of a LCC ticket, exit row seating and a sandwich included.
That is the bit I don't get.
If you can afford to pay for yourself, or got your company to buy you, a superior product, cool, I get why you'd be smug about it. But paying extra for an objectively inferior solution?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wanderer35
Or maybe
they have a job that requires a lot of travel, the company may pay for up front travel, or they get upgrades because of the amount of travel they do.
How does that make them better than coach pax?
Because their job requires travel, as opposed to working a hot grill flipping horse meat or some other manual labor, serving-others-like-a-serf kind of work.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To paraphrase Raymond Chandler, in an airplane you "get the sort of people that disillusion you about what a lot of golfing money can do for the personality."
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:01 pm

Very interesting thread!

I don't really think so, maybe more likely to occur with people whom are new to flying a premium class, whilst they feel "special". For anyone whom does it regularly... who cares about the others? The whole "royalty" feeling has, if anything, diminished with the A380, as the commoners don't even walk past you in your premium seat...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Because their job requires travel, as opposed to working a hot grill flipping horse meat or some other manual labor, serving-others-like-a-serf kind of work.
<br /><br />One could argue that a lot of jobs that require "travel" are also serving-others-like-a-serf. Gotta meet that sales quota for the boss! Better leave Sunday night to get to work Monday!<br />I fail to see how flying for work = good job
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Isn't that fascinating how airlines make people believe they are buying more than just a seat? Money doesn't buy class.

*hoping this statement is snobby enough*
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I travel mostly for work on a budget we set every year. Once we figure out where I need to be for 90% of the year we look at the typical economy plus fares for those travel dates

if I can fly to those places on those dates for that amount of money , I can hunt and peck for low business tickets and use upgrades

I just need to keep the numbers between the lines, for every mile of road there are 2 miles of ditch so it becomes a game

the information from here FT is a powerful tool to be the guy in the front with the budget from the back ( back +)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.