Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Empty Seat Etiquette - Who is the [jerk]?

Empty Seat Etiquette - Who is the [jerk]?

Old Dec 1, 17, 7:18 am
  #31  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 46,573
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
No. If I have an empty/unassigned seat next to me, I'm not prepared to have have someone negate my good fortune. In that situation I would move into the middle seat before the interloper occupied it. If the friend/son can move into the unassigned seat so can I.
Agreed. Seatpoaching should only be done when it doesn't impinge on others.

I had a flight recently where I had exit row window (Main Cabin Extra seats on AA), with middle and aisle empty. The minute the door closed, two pax from Main Cabin self-upgraded into the seats. I didn't see the need to scoot over and occupy the middle because I'm used to (a) flight attendants preventing self-upgrading activity and (b) the other MCE seats had mostly empty middles so there wasn't any movement within MCE. FA let it happen, and the general consensus on the AA board here is that self-upgrading is totally fair game there....the opposite general sentiment from most other airlines and how most other FAs enforce it. (Even for economy-plus type cabins...not even talking about F/J...)
pinniped is offline  
Old Dec 1, 17, 7:22 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: south of WAS DC
Posts: 10,131
My father had a saying"first man up is the best dressed"
slawecki is offline  
Old Dec 1, 17, 12:49 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 7
Would have put a jacket/sweater or something there once the door closed. Though I agree the prying of headphones may have been a step far. Probably poke until he responds.

Had a similar flight but less pleasant results on a recent LHR-LAX trip. Row of 3 and I was in the window and she was the middle. The aisle didn't show and I asked if she would move over so we could share the space in between. She refused, took both seats and when she turned sideways to sleep, she started leaning backwards onto me and halfway into my lap. Oh, and she took all three armrests. Queue 10 hours of passive aggressiveness between us. I'd shift and purposely tap her and she'd jar my elbow as I tried to claim back an armrest and back and forth and back and forth...
kayun is offline  
Old Dec 2, 17, 4:15 pm
  #34  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
Taking up too much space is a faux paux, but peeling back someone's headphones is battery. I would have punched you and said I have a strong startle response and thought you were stealing my personal belongings
greggarious is offline  
Old Dec 2, 17, 7:41 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 218
Removing the headphones was obnoxious. Lying over three seats is gross and that guy has no class, but not nearly as weird as touching his headphones. Just tap him on the shoulder.
be001 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:31 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by greggarious View Post
Taking up too much space is a faux paux, but peeling back someone's headphones is battery. I would have punched you and said I have a strong startle response and thought you were stealing my personal belongings
That's not how things work, at all. No member of law enforcement is going to waste their time taking down the info and then getting someone charged with anything at all for touching someone's headphones. Especially since it would be hours before you hit the ground and were able to make a complaint,

They might, however, find it worthwhile to have charges pressed against somebody who throws a punch.

I know being an internet tough guy is a thing on flyertalk but sometimes I wonder if people think that's really how they would react or what would happen.
Zeeb is offline  
Old Dec 3, 17, 10:07 pm
  #37  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
That's not how things work, at all. No member of law enforcement is going to waste their time taking down the info and then getting someone charged with anything at all for touching someone's headphones. Especially since it would be hours before you hit the ground and were able to make a complaint,

They might, however, find it worthwhile to have charges pressed against somebody who throws a punch.

I know being an internet tough guy is a thing on flyertalk but sometimes I wonder if people think that's really how they would react or what would happen.
You have a right to defend your property with force. Waking up to someone removing my (expensive) headphones and hitting them is perfectly legal. (Especially if the flight originated in a stand your ground state )
greggarious is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 1:11 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Sure, just ask the other passenger "Can I lie down and put my head on your lap for five hours and then we switch and you put your head on my lap for five hours?"
I had an exchange student make a similar suggestion on an SFO-SYD years back, I was not devastated my J upgrade didn't come through.
quick_dry is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 1:11 am
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,245
Originally Posted by spendlesslivebetter View Post
I recently had a long international flight sitting in a center row aisle seat. The cabin config was 3-4-3. I had one side of the row of 4, someone else occupied the other aisle seat, and we had 2 empty seats between us. As soon as the flight took off, the other guy put on his headphones and laid down across 3 seats, with his head on the seat directly next to me. I waited until we reached cruising altitude, then asked that he move over so that I could use one of the 2 empty seats as well. He either did not hear me or pretended to be asleep. I then pried back one of his headphones and again asked for him to move over. He glared at me then moved to occupy only 2 of the seats, giving me the other empty seat. Who is the <redacted by moderator> here?
Good on you. Well done.

I went to the Commonwealth Games and at one event I had two tickets but went on my own. I put my things down on my seats, which by now were the only two free seats in a long row. I told him that I had purchased these two seats so I now had a luxury suite with tons of room. That stopped him enjoying the spare seat I had paid for.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 8:12 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by greggarious View Post
You have a right to defend your property with force. Waking up to someone removing my (expensive) headphones and hitting them is perfectly legal. (Especially if the flight originated in a stand your ground state )
Sure thing. Go ahead and give that a try someday and let us know how it works out for you.
Zeeb is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 10:28 am
  #41  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Yeah, when you get an empty seat next to you on a long flight you gotta claim it by putting stuff in that seat.

I once had an aisle seat next to an empty middle in a 3-4-3 configuration like the OP. There was an older couple in the other two seats.

The flight takes off, they decide to “spread out” and occupy three seats with one of them sitting right next to me.
i would have rung the bell and get the FA to remove the pax on a seat that he/she did not pay.
if the FA wouldnt do it i would complain about him/her for her lack of safety precaution then warn the board.

then again, this is FT. i think the OP was rather nice to the other dude already. i really would have done worse.
Spilling wine to a seat where noone was assigned to really wasnt that much of a deal.
kaka is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 10:36 am
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Yeah, when you get an empty seat next to you on a long flight you gotta claim it by putting stuff in that seat.

I once had an aisle seat next to an empty middle in a 3-4-3 configuration like the OP. There was an older couple in the other two seats.

The flight takes off, they decide to “spread out” and occupy three seats with one of them sitting right next to me.
i would get the FA to be involved to remove the actual PERSON sitting in an unassigned seat.

having personal items on an empty seat is one thing, having an actual person sitting on an unassigned seat would be safety issue that I would raise to a cabin crew member.

imagine this: (touchwood) a plane getting in an accident and they do not find the person buckled up in that seat.
kaka is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 10:41 am
  #43  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by czhang View Post
Had a similar situation last week...was in a centre aisle in a 3-3-3 cabin with the middle seat open (only one of a few empty middles on the flight). After takeoff and prior to the first meal service, the pax on the other side brought his friend/son to our row and sat in the middle seat for the remainder of the flight. Neither asked or even said a single word to me for the duration of the flight. Do most people find this acceptable?
no, i would get the cabin crew involved in telling that person to get back in its assigned seat due to safety reasons. if touchwood the plane got involved in an accident then he/she needs to be able to be located.

I only accept someone moving to my neighbouring seat if it was physical barriers of a whole armrest, or if a cabin crew moves me to a more desirable seat (yes, double standard it is)
kaka is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 10:43 am
  #44  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by greggarious View Post
Taking up too much space is a faux paux, but peeling back someone's headphones is battery. I would have punched you and said I have a strong startle response and thought you were stealing my personal belongings
nothing on an unassigned seat next to me is personal (as above, see the wine spill theory). Then again, i would sit on the unassigned seat and tell off anyone sitting on my actual seat.
kaka is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 12:46 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,564
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
i would have rung the bell and get the FA to remove the pax on a seat that he/she did not pay.
if the FA wouldnt do it i would complain about him/her for her lack of safety precaution then warn the board.

then again, this is FT. i think the OP was rather nice to the other dude already. i really would have done worse.
Spilling wine to a seat where noone was assigned to really wasnt that much of a deal.
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
i would get the FA to be involved to remove the actual PERSON sitting in an unassigned seat.

having personal items on an empty seat is one thing, having an actual person sitting on an unassigned seat would be safety issue that I would raise to a cabin crew member.

imagine this: (touchwood) a plane getting in an accident and they do not find the person buckled up in that seat.
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
no, i would get the cabin crew involved in telling that person to get back in its assigned seat due to safety reasons. if touchwood the plane got involved in an accident then he/she needs to be able to be located.

I only accept someone moving to my neighbouring seat if it was physical barriers of a whole armrest, or if a cabin crew moves me to a more desirable seat (yes, double standard it is)
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
nothing on an unassigned seat next to me is personal (as above, see the wine spill theory). Then again, i would sit on the unassigned seat and tell off anyone sitting on my actual seat.
Are you for real?
LondonElite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread