Where is tap water safe to drink?

Old Nov 23, 17, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

I don't know. My guesses (and classifications) are as follows:
5 - safe to drink
4 - generally safe, but use it to brush teeth, not drink (except in an emergency)
3 - safe for washing, including face and closed eyes, not drinking
2 - not very safe. Carefully shower in it. Use bottled water for washing face around the eyes and mouth.

5 - Canada, USA
5 - Australia, Singapore, Japan
5 - UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Spain, Italy, Belgium, etc.,
4 - Chile, Rio and Sao Paulo Brazil, Hong Kong, Seoul
3 - Romania, rest of Brazil, China
2 - India
Old Nov 23, 17, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I spent a month and a half working in Mumbai and didn't worry about showering or washing my face with tap water. Didn't have any issues. Actually managed not to get sick at all.
Old Nov 23, 17, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I seem to remember using tap water in Mexico to brush my teeth with no issues. Can't comment on drinking it, though.
Old Nov 23, 17, 1:25 pm

Drank tap water in hotels during multiple visits to Oman (MCT and SLL). No issues.
Old Nov 23, 17, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Egypt is category 3
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
5 - safe to drink
4 - generally safe, but use it to brush teeth, not drink (except in an emergency)
3 - safe for washing, including face and closed eyes, not drinking
2 - not very safe. Carefully shower in it. Use bottled water for washing face around the eyes and mouth.

5 - Canada, USA
5 - Australia, Singapore, Japan
5 - UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Spain, Italy, Belgium, etc.,
4 - Chile, Rio and Sao Paulo Brazil, Hong Kong, Seoul
3 - Romania, rest of Brazil, China
2 - India
What a strange list. What is "etc"? How are you choosing which countries appear on your list? If you are trying to include Europe, why only highlight certain countries? I am curious to know where you would consider Greece, or Portugal, or other various Balkan countries, for instance.

I have never heard of washing face with bottled water in some countries, and I have spent many months in India.

My sister almost died of water bourne illness as a child. Where did she drink and subsequently spend time in hospital? Bavaria. Water bourne illness and contaminated water can happen anywhere. Just consider the shocking stories out of your own country in recent years.
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver/GE
Portland, Oregon does not treat its water

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...te_in_dri.html
ItsAnAdventure likes this.
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
There's this 3-year old map, which is not up to date.
Old Nov 23, 17, 4:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
5 - Canada, USA
Depends on the locality. Plenty of communities have high levels of lead in their water supply. Courtesy to pipes containing lead ...
Old Nov 23, 17, 4:37 pm

5 - safe to drink

5 - Canada, USA
Think again. Perhaps for the privileged, safe water is a given. Then again, both Canada and the US have had water safety issues in recent years, not just amongst First Nations. https://www.hrw.org/report/2016/06/0...s-water-crisis

Drinking water advisories alert communities when their water is not safe to drink. In Canada, these advisories are highly concentrated in First Nations communities. They exist for 134 water systems—90 of them in Ontario Province—in 85 First Nations reserves across Canada, as of January 2016. Many of these drinking water advisories for reserves persist for years, sometimes for decades. They are indicative of the broader systemic crisis that leaves many First Nations persons facing daily challenges just to access safe water for drinking and hygiene—a fundamental human right easily enjoyed by most Canadians.
On a positive note, Trudeau did make a five year commitment to improving the situation. https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/03/09/...d-water-crisis
Old Nov 23, 17, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Water can be safe for drinking leaving the treatment plant. Whatever happens to it during the delivery makes a big difference.

Most first world safe water leaving the plant becomes questionable if the delivery infrastructure is old, or contains questionable materials
Old Nov 23, 17, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Depends on the locality. Plenty of communities have high levels of lead in their water supply. Courtesy to pipes containing lead ...
I was thinking of the whole Flint water crisis.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 23, 17, 8:33 pm

Disagree on Hong Kong (4). Been drinking it, showering in it, washing up with it for 30+ years.

The only issue can be an individual building's pipes, which may be old so there could be a bit of rust. But it's not a "drink only in an emergency" situation.
Old Nov 23, 17, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Disagree on Hong Kong (4). Been drinking it, showering in it, washing up with it for 30+ years.

The only issue can be an individual building's pipes, which may be old so there could be a bit of rust. But it's not a "drink only in an emergency" situation.
Wait... but HK's tap water is heavily sterilized, so i think it's not ok to just drink it? I always boil before drinking anyways...
Old Nov 23, 17, 9:08 pm

Programs: MPC GR
The tap water in Seoul is perfectly safe to drink. However the taste is absolutely meh, so barely anyone here drinks it straight from the tap. Usually some dried barley or corn is thrown in to make tea.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: