Reload this Page >

Where is tap water safe to drink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is tap water safe to drink?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:46 am

Generalising the whole of India as one is a bit naive.

Brush teeth, even drink tap water in some rural places... it massively varies.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by martin_paris
You can place the whole of Asia with the exception of Singapore, Japan, South Korea and maybe Taiwan as 4. In Japan, Singapore, South Korea I have no issue drinking tap water.
Where would you place Hong Kong?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
2 - not very safe. Carefully shower in it. Use bottled water for washing face around the eyes and mouth.
Are there people who actually believe this? That's absurd, it's just water. Avoid the pani puri and you'll be just fine.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:23 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the warmer months throughout Switzerland there are drinking fountains with continuousy running water, over the last 50 years when visting Switz. I've imbibed with no ill affects. [Particularly in Zermat, the cold moutain water is really nice!]
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

No water (like from the toilet!) is 100% safe unless it has been chemically treated. This is why I prefer to stick to Gatorade
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by greggarious
No water (like from the toilet!) is 100% safe unless it has been chemically treated. This is why I prefer to stick to Gatorade
What is this 100% safe thing you are talking about? Are you sure any water is 100% safe, and are you only doing things which you consider to be 100% safe?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
What is this 100% safe thing you are talking about? Are you sure any water is 100% safe, and are you only doing things which you consider to be 100% safe?
Yes, absolutely. There is zero chance you missed a joke in my reply - you are very smart to have noticed my illogical choice! Congratulations special boy!

Last edited by greggarious; Dec 3, 2017 at 3:23 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
2) free from chemicals, heavy metals and other non-biological contaminants.
Got a definition for "free"?

More importantly, got a definition for "chemicals"?

I guess this is why people filter their waters or buy distilled water. Tap water may be safe to drink biologically but not chemically.
...or it could that the water's fine and [some] people are irrational and/or paranoid
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Got a definition for "free"?

More importantly, got a definition for "chemicals"?
Something other than dihydrogen monoxide?

Not even talking about heavy metals and synthetic chemicals from factories and chemical plants.

One of the biggest threats is the result of chlorine treatment of water with organic materials (tannins, etc.). Both are fairly safe by themselves but when mixed together.... Hence the more-recent preference for ozone sterilization but this has its limitations.

I'm fine drinking tap water for the most part but where I have recently moved to, well water used to be the main source of drinking water (very deep wells into small pockets of water), we've noticed, anecdotally, that there have been a apparently high incidence of cancer among the long-time neighbours. The place is very rural and has hardly any industry but lots of farms in the past. Fortunately we now have municipal water (hopefully safe).
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Any guesses/experience about Penang and Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Any guesses/experience about Penang and Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia?
The water in Malaysia is generally safe (biologically) to drink - was in KL and down the whole east coast in October. There are some places where i'd be a bit worried chemically.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankmu
Portland, Oregon does not treat its water

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...te_in_dri.html
Neither does Portland, Maine. Sebago Lake is the second clearest lake in the country (after Crater Lake in Oregon) and they just don't bother. It always seemed odd that they let people boat and swim in the lake (though nowhere near where the water intakes are)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I live in the US, and I prefer to drink bottled/filtered water as opposed to tap water. (I will drink tap water in the US, but I can't swear it's clean. Think Flint, Michigan.)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I live in the US, and I prefer to drink bottled/filtered water as opposed to tap water. (I will drink tap water in the US, but I can't swear it's clean. Think Flint, Michigan.)
Depending on the brand of bottled water you drink you may be drinking US tap water anyway...
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
you may be drinking US tap water anyway...
very true; see here: http://clark.com/deals-money-saving-...ottled-waters/
pudgym29 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.