FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Countries where you've driven a rental car (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1877201-countries-where-youve-driven-rental-car.html)

Hvr Nov 13, 2017 1:35 am

Australia, all states (home)
New Zealand
United Kingdom (England and Wales)
Japan

United States

daveyhog Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am

Someone once told me that Mercedes often cannot be driven from France to Italy. Anyone who knows if this is actually true?

halls120 Nov 13, 2017 2:18 am

USA
Canada
Bahamas
Aruba
UK
Ireland
France
Germany
Austria
Croatia
Italy

stut Nov 13, 2017 2:30 am

UK (home, also rented various 16-seater minibuses, tail-lift trucks, etc)
France (also minibuses and the auto'lib electric shared use system)
Belgium (well, borrowed more than rented)
Netherlands (although I'd rather be on a bike)
- also Aruba
Spain (also driven a French car into Spain)
Portugal (scratched it up pretty badly but got away with it)
Ireland
Italy (driven there from France)
Monaco (driven there from France and very glad I planned parking in advance)
Morocco (that was 'interesting', especially the desert run and central Marrakech)
Czech Republic
Germany (drove there from Czech Republic, driver behaviour was interesting)
USA (I'd say it's been more of a challenge the times I haven't, NYC excluded)
Australia (all sorts of weird vehicles)
New Zealand (good old "rent a wreck")
Japan (filling up with petrol was an experience)

etch5895 Nov 13, 2017 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Jo.T (Post 29054110)
Someone once told me that Mercedes often cannot be driven from France to Italy. Anyone who knows if this is actually true?

Some rental car companies will tell you not to, due to the rates of theft. In theory, I guess if you did, you might end up being liable if the car were stolen. But it varies by rental agency, or it did.

Dodge DeBoulet Nov 13, 2017 4:48 am

Car
US
Canada
Aruba
UK
Germany

Moped
Bermuda

Looking at some of the other lists, though, I feel so ... untraveled :(

BRITINJAPAN3 Nov 13, 2017 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 29052888)
Koreans do the 'no headlamps on at night' thing too but they believe it saves battery and fuel.

150 times in Korea and I never saw this ever !

AlohaDaveKennedy Nov 13, 2017 6:14 am

Austria
Belgium
Canada
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland
USA

wxman22 Nov 13, 2017 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 29052888)
Koreans do the 'no headlamps on at night' thing too but they believe it saves battery and fuel.

Didn't see that so much in Korea, but did so in Italy in the 70's & 80's, as Italians believed the same.
What was really annoying was in any city they would flash their lights at you so you would turn off your headlights. In those days, cities were not as bright as today but instead every block had a 60 watt bulb lighting the way.:D

Standardization within the EU has gotten rid of much of this.

Bluehen1 Nov 13, 2017 6:51 am

Interesting concept...

Belgium
Canada
Estonia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Luxembourg
Mexico
Spain
USA

EqualOpp Nov 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by sethweinstein (Post 29052702)
Apart from my home in the USA, just Canada, Mexico, Ireland, Iceland, and South Africa for me.

When I entered Iceland, I hadn't driven a manual in a few years, and I wanted to spend some time in the parking lot getting used to it again. But the company brought me the car along with an exit ticket and said I had to leave within ten minutes. Oh, well!

Seth

yup....

My first 5-speed in awhile (10 years I think) was out of Porto airport. For a minute or two it was a little embarassing as I was trying to get the car properly in gear without running over one of the many people around who were waiting for their cars or hitting another car.

The roads in Northern Portugal are lightly traveled (I checked the terrain on Streetview before deciding to go with a 5-speed) ...so I got comfy with the 5-speed again (A cheap SEAT car). By the time I rented a 5-speed in Faro, I was alot better. Though I did stall for a minute at a traffic light after I left the airport. The Renault Megane had a very complicated all electronic dashboard and misinterpreted one of the messages.

Aventine Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 (Post 29054503)
150 times in Korea and I never saw this ever !

Everyday here and there's always at least one moving shadow at night!

Originally Posted by wxman22 (Post 29054709)
Didn't see that so much in Korea, but did so in Italy in the 70's & 80's, as Italians believed the same.
What was really annoying was in any city they would flash their lights at you so you would turn off your headlights. In those days, cities were not as bright as today but instead every block had a 60 watt bulb lighting the way.:D

Standardization within the EU has gotten rid of much of this.

This still happens to me sometimes here in Korea. I'm driving with lights on for safety people...

cpd2591 Nov 14, 2017 5:18 am

European Driving

Drove in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Iceland back in 2014. In 2015 we drove from the US to Canada. Our most recent rental was in Ireland (2017) where they drive on the opposite side of the road. It took me a couple of hours to get used to driving on the opposite side. It was fun driving in Ireland but you need to be careful when you drive on the smaller roads because of the many rock walls.

ATD Nov 14, 2017 6:18 am

USA
Canada
Australia
Germany to Austria to Italy and back
Hungary
UK
Israel

Driven (but not a rental)
Fiji
New Zealand
India

Been to 58 countries. . . .

wanderer35 Nov 14, 2017 6:22 am

Left side:
Australia
New Zealand

Got used to driving on the left quickly, but backing out of a parking space seemed to be a challenge.

Right side:
U.S. (home)
Canada
Mexico
Austria
Slovakia
Poland
Croatia
Romania
Hungary

My own cars in the U.S. have always been standard shift, so borrowed/rental cars in other countries were not of a problem.

I have been to several countries where I did not drive, but based on what I saw when observing the traffic, especially how people drive, I would not attempt to.