Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

In-flight Entertainment Systems. What is important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

What parts of the in-flight entertainment do you use and need the most? Do you usually use wifi on a plane?

These and further question I ask in my survey. If you want to help me, please fill in my survey. It will take maximum 5 minutes. By participating in this survey, you have the chance to win one of three Amazon vouchers (20€ each)

https://run.conjoint.ly/study/4954/rlyciinaqs

All results will be published on 01-Feb-2018.
The survey will close 24-Nov-2017.

A few things about me. I am a final year student at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland. I am currently writing my bachelor's thesis about in-flight entertainment systems. For that, I set up a survey to analyze the most important product attributes of IFE systems. Of course, all data will be evaluated anonymously and treated confidentially. There is also no commercial use or any link to a specific airline. I'm new to the forum, if there is a better place to ask this question, please let me know. And if you have any good ideas or insight please send me a message or reply to this post.

Thanks everyone!

Stephan

Last edited by StephanBe; Nov 17, 2017 at 5:04 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I just did two legs on UA IAH-LHR (9 hours) and DUB-ORD (8 hours) and my IFE was on the moving map/flight stats literally from take off to landing on both flights. Otherwise I just go back and forth between downloaded Netflix shows, downloaded Spotify music, and downloaded newspapers/books on my smartphone.

My wants are simple: a working power outlet to keep my mobile charged and a way to access real time where we are and when we will arrive, either via the IFE or the wifi on my own device. I prefer the IFE as I can continue watch shows on my device while just occasionally glancing at the map, however that's not very cost effective if that's all anyone is using the IFE for.

I do not think handing out tablets is a good idea for three reasons: Most people already have and bring a smart device of their own, carrying 250 tablets adds a lot of weight, and what does the cabin crew do when one goes missing?
PTravel likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

+1 on the moving map.

I don't really watch the content. The moving map on the other hand is one I watch the most. Even on 14+ hour flights.
PTravel likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:01 pm
Suspended

I tend only to use it long hauls.

Even then, I tend only to put it on the moving map. If it's REALLY long haul I may watch a movie or tv, but most of the offerings are garbage anyhow.

Generally when I fly it's my Ipod, two dramamine and a straight scotch..that keeps me entertained.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
map, map, and map again ... I don't want or need movies/tv/etc
PTravel likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Oddly enough, the only times I ever see theatrical release movies is on airplanes. I never go to the cinema and rarely watch movies on TV. I would probably never see any movies without the IFE.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Like others, 99% of my IFE is the moving map. Occasionally I'll turn on the tail camera, and even more rarely, a movie. I'm not sure I've ever watched a television show or listened to music through the IFE.

In addition to the provided entertainment, I often have reading material (either business or pleasure) to engage with.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Oddly enough, the only times I ever see theatrical release movies is on airplanes. I never go to the cinema and rarely watch movies on TV. I would probably never see any movies without the IFE.
The weird problem with current release movies on planes is that they are heavily edited for time and content. So much so, that it's almost a different movie.

This summer I watched "Life" on a Condor flight from FRA to SAN. The movie on the plane ran 85 mins. I was shocked how short it was at the time. Then I watched it on Amazon and it ran at 110 mins and was way different.

You may be missing out!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is not a classic.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Seems like I am in the minority in here as I watch the content on the IFE far more than anything on 3hr+ flights

Anything under 3hrs and it's probably 75% reading book 15% listening to music 10% part of movie or documentary.

I only use moving map for first 15 minutes or so of take-off, last 10minutes with landing, and I will periodically check in during the flight to see where we are and how much further.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the most important thing for me is to be able to turn the damned thing off. all the way off.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Seems like I am in the minority in here as I watch the content on the IFE far more than anything on 3hr+ flights

Anything under 3hrs and it's probably 75% reading book 15% listening to music 10% part of movie or documentary.

I only use moving map for first 15 minutes or so of take-off, last 10minutes with landing, and I will periodically check in during the flight to see where we are and how much further.
My habits are the same, but after reading this thread I came to believe they are somehow uncouth or typical of amateur flyers...
SpinOn2 and travelmad478 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I don't use wifi. I read old school books. I might watch a movie here and there or a short half hour show from a tv series.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tail camera for take-off, landing and taxi. Otherwise principally moving map but on very long haul I might take in a movie.
obscure2k and OceanAir like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by savonarola
My habits are the same, but after reading this thread I came to believe they are somehow uncouth or typical of amateur flyers...
I don't believe this at all. If I forget to put my phone charger in my carryon on a 12 hour flight you bet I'll be watching every single thing on the IFE.

I'm just not a particularly big movie or network TV fan so not much of what is on there particularly appeals to me. I've never thought there's anything amateurish about using the IFE. Watch whatever you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.