Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

In-flight Entertainment Systems. What is important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight Entertainment Systems. What is important?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Like in flight maps. Most important for me is leg room

My best flight in economy was on Singapore in 2004 or 5 where I recall having room to cross my legs. Maybe I'm exaggerating but it was nice. I would cheerfully sacrifice most IFE for leg room. Most of us have tablets or Lap tops for movies.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Inseat power, on longer flights I want an actual socket not USB. My main source of entertainment is my transformer book with a much of strategy games on it.....sid meier's has made long flights so much more enjoyable.
Speaking of this, a second AC outlet would be nice. I made do with one + USB on my last trip but that was mainly due to there being no point in using the laptop when there's no in-flight Wi-Fi.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My biggest problem with built-in video IFE on planes — other than content choice — is unreliable sound/volume feed and hyper- or hypo-sensitive controls on the screen and/or wired controller.

In-seat/seatback power and WiFi streaming of the same content to my own devices get around that latter issue.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:04 am

I usually do this: candy, headphones, ipad, i see a movie or game
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys and girls,
so here are the results of the survey.
Almost 220 people participated. I need you thank you for that again.
"Watch a movie provided by the IFE" "Listen to music provided by the IFE" and "Read" where the three most chosen preferred activities during a long and short haul flight.
The attributes of IFE on a long haul flight with the highest importance are "the availability of a power outlet", "Information about the flight", "IFE movies" followed by "Access to WiFi" and "IFE TV-shows".
The attributes of IFE on a short haul flight with the highest importance "the availability of a power outlet" all other attributes were ranked rather unimportant.
60% of the people, asked, have not used WiFi on a plan. 60% would not pay for WiFi access on a plane.
So that's it.

Thank you. I will publish in the following days another survey which also is about IFE but focuses on special attributes. I would be really thankful if you will participate in this survey.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chris19992
I like the new inflight maps available on the A350's (not sure other planes have it) where you can manually move it around and have some of the instrument panels on there at the same time.
I'm a little late to the game here, but the moving map is more or less an add-on to the IFE platform so not necessarily tied to any one aircraft type. There are a few vendors who produce map "apps" in addition to the default options from the IFE vendors. Depending on which map app the airline pays for you'll get a different set of content on the screen.

Originally Posted by chris19992
I would also prefer more airlines to include a better selection of higher rated movies that aren't new releases but sadly I don't know if this will happen too much, they rely on flaunting the latest movies (even when it's 90% bin material)
Generally speaking the older movies are cheaper for the airline to host on board so there is motivation to go with the older stuff. But they also have usage data that says the new stuff gets more consumption so it is worth the price they pay to have it on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.