Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page > Aircraft lavatory satisfaction research

Aircraft lavatory satisfaction research

Reply

Old Nov 3, 17, 1:46 pm
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Aircraft lavatory satisfaction research

What do you think of the onboard lavatory? Do you think they are generally kept clean and tidy?

Please complete my survey if you wish to help. It will take up to 5 minutes: https://goo.gl/forms/kBASmibAoF2I2D603
The survey will be closed on 30-Nov-17. Results will be made on available on 08-Jan-2018

A bit more about me, I am a master student of industrial design engineering at TU Delft in the Netherlands. I'm new to the forum so let me know if there is a better place to ask these questions, or if you've seen any other similar posts. I want to know as part of my thesis, how do frequent flyers rate lavatories and how sanitary are they really? Please reply to the post if you have any good insights.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by David Randles; Nov 6, 17 at 9:54 am Reason: OP has been contacted by moderator
David Randles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 2:44 pm
  #2
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,812
I'm blocked from reaching your site, so I'll just say it here: the aircraft lav is about the most disgusting place on earth. Always, from the first minute of the first flight of the day. In fact, I'm pretty sure Boeing ships brand new product to airlines with pre-skunked, nasty lavs.

They're never *not* totally gross.

Hope that helps the survey.
pinniped is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:00 pm
  #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 5,907
You fail to take into account that cleanness of lavatories is in direct relation to the travel class. International First class lavs are always clean. Business lavatories are generally clean and Economy lavatories are usually dirtier than the ones at a club on Sunday morning.
WorldLux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:04 pm
  #4
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 4,450
Aircraft lavs can be decent or disgusting, but on average are still always cleaner and in better condition overall than other forms of public transport, including bus, train and boat, even in first world countries.
skywardhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:07 pm
  #5
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,812
OK, I'll stand corrected: the lavs on a passenger ferry are grosser than on those on airplanes. Total vomit odds are way higher...

I don't believe I've ever entered a bus lav.
pinniped is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 9:16 pm
  #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PDX
Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Posts: 1,316
Also, how is it possible for Boeing to design an $100M 737-900 but neglect to design a toilet in first class that allows one to pee standing up without having to hold the seat up (Yuuuuck!)? I'll never figure that one out.
David Randles likes this.
timfountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 4:27 am
  #7
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 9,265
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
You fail to take into account that cleanness of lavatories is in direct relation to the travel class. International First class lavs are always clean. Business lavatories are generally clean and Economy lavatories are usually dirtier than the ones at a club on Sunday morning.
Agree
Annalisa12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:35 am
  #8
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Also, how is it possible for Boeing to design an $100M 737-900 but neglect to design a toilet in first class that allows one to pee standing up without having to hold the seat up (Yuuuuck!)? I'll never figure that one out.
This is an interesting point. If men would sit down when they urinate it would avoid this problem and also keep the toilet and floor clean. But most men won't sit down to pee.

In the Netherlands the train service provider is rolling out new trains with urinals in the lavatories for men. This could work on planes but since the space in more limited it could also do more harm than good.
David Randles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:50 am
  #9
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 4,450
Originally Posted by David Randles View Post
This is an interesting point. If men would sit down when they urinate it would avoid this problem and also keep the toilet and floor clean. But most men won't sit down to pee.

In the Netherlands the train service provider is rolling out new trains with urinals in the lavatories for men. This could work on planes but since the space in more limited it could also do more harm than good.
Men definitely won't sit down to pee on public transport, no one would if they could avoid it.
skywardhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:58 am
  #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICN / 평택시
Programs: AA, DL, UA Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 8,407
The lavs on my recent CRJ-200 flights were just great! Roomy, quiet and oh so clean! I'm 6'0 and I had plenty of room to move around.
etch5895 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:19 am
  #11
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Posts: 4,451
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I don't believe I've ever entered a bus lav.
I did once - forget what country it was - when I had no choice. It was as bad as you would imagine.
84fiero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:34 am
  #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Bronze
Posts: 6,962
I hate the lavs on 737s. Almost impossible for a man to use. Conversely those on 350s and 787s are nice.
lhrsfo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:21 am
  #13
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,410
For me, it's all about quantity over quality. I honestly don't really care if an aircraft lav is disgusting. I've used plenty of outhouses and filthy port-a-potties. I just want to finish my business without having to queue 10 deep for the one or two lavs onboard.
VivoPerLei is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:05 am
  #14
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,819
Originally Posted by David Randles View Post
What do you think of the onboard lavatory? Do you think they are generally kept clean and tidy?

A bit more about me, I am a master student of industrial design engineering at TU Delft in the Netherlands. I'm new to the forum so let me know if there is a better place to ask these questions, or if you've seen any other similar posts. I want to know as part of my thesis, how do frequent flyers rate lavatories and how sanitary are they really? Please reply to the post if you have any good insights.
From a fellow student of design: one of the worst aspects of most plane lavs is the sink and faucet. Most faucets require you to hold down the controls with one hand to get the water to flow. This means only one hand can be in the water stream at a time, making effective hand washing difficult (spent years in healthcare where basic training included very detailed hand washing training to minimize spread of disease).

The basins usually are default set to fill, not drain - I know some people fill the basin and wash their in hands that water, but that is highly unsanitary and increases the chances of bacteria from the environment ending up on the person.

The curvature of the basin often increases the chances of water splashing everywhere, creating a situation where the floor is almost always wet (and disgusting) resulting in increased amounts of whatever is on the floor sticking to shoes and being tracked out of the lav.

The design changes I'd like to see are a way to wash both hands under running water, a basin shaped to minimize splashing and a counter sloped so that water will readily drain off the counter into the basin. Floors should have some sort of drainage system for liquids, especially right below the toilet in case some pax miss their target.
mules likes this.
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:03 am
  #15
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 4,450
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
From a fellow student of design: one of the worst aspects of most plane lavs is the sink and faucet. Most faucets require you to hold down the controls with one hand to get the water to flow. This means only one hand can be in the water stream at a time, making effective hand washing difficult (spent years in healthcare where basic training included very detailed hand washing training to minimize spread of disease).

The basins usually are default set to fill, not drain - I know some people fill the basin and wash their in hands that water, but that is highly unsanitary and increases the chances of bacteria from the environment ending up on the person.

The curvature of the basin often increases the chances of water splashing everywhere, creating a situation where the floor is almost always wet (and disgusting) resulting in increased amounts of whatever is on the floor sticking to shoes and being tracked out of the lav.

The design changes I'd like to see are a way to wash both hands under running water, a basin shaped to minimize splashing and a counter sloped so that water will readily drain off the counter into the basin. Floors should have some sort of drainage system for liquids, especially right below the toilet in case some pax miss their target.
The A380 has proximity sensors even in Y and default drains. 77Ws you need to push and some drain some fill. The fill idea is stupid, agreed.
skywardhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:27 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.