Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Warm Zika free destination in January with pregnant wife and 2.5 year old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Hey, looking for some options for a warm zika-free destination for a babymoon at the end of January with my pregnant wife and 2.5 year old. We live in NYC. The closer the better, but open to going as far as a 5-6 hour flight. Would love to do Miami or the Caribbean, but they seem to still be off limits with the whole Zika thing. Any ideas?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
San Diego. Or pretty much any place in the desert southwest.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Desert southwest sounds good to me too. Or you could always go somewhere else in Florida besides the Miami area - SW FL has lots of nice places for that time of year.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
If you're not familiar with the Southwest, make sure you look at historical weather patterns for your destination. High desert places like Santa Fe have cold winters.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We were in San Diego in Jan - it’s not beach weather. We are in Hawaii now for our baby moon. We also came from NYC and broke the trip up in LA to see family. I know it’s far, but can you grab the nonstop from Newark?

otherwise, south Florida (again, not necessarily beach weather) or maybe Arizona?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:07 pm

Phoenix weather in late January/early February is usually great. Daytime temps are in the mid-60s to 70s and nights can be cool with temps in the mid 40s so basically springtime weather there. YMMV of course because last time in I was in Phoenix in mid February it was in the low 80s for high temps but coming from the midwest where highs were in the lower 40s at best I didn't complain at all. You may run into a bit of rain then since that's the end of the rainy season there. Good news is the rain usually only lasts for a couple hours then the desert sucks up all the humidity fairly quick.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Ha I don't know if I consider highs here around 70 "warm", but I guess if you're coming from New York it's a different perspective. 70 is hoodie weather to me I think Phoenix or Tucson would fit your travel plans, though.

We tend to get a late winter with most of our winter rain in February and March, though with the forecasted La Nińa AZ is supposed to be warmer and drier than normal this winter.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Palm Springs area is ideal at that time of year.
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Phoenix weather in late January/early February is usually great. Daytime temps are in the mid-60s to 70s and nights can be cool with temps in the mid 40s so basically springtime weather there. YMMV of course because last time in I was in Phoenix in mid February it was in the low 80s for high temps but coming from the midwest where highs were in the lower 40s at best I didn't complain at all. You may run into a bit of rain then since that's the end of the rainy season there. Good news is the rain usually only lasts for a couple hours then the desert sucks up all the humidity fairly quick.
I was about to suggest Scottsdale.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was about to suggest Scottsdale.
I don't know that there's a lot for a toddler to do in Scottsdale proper so I didn't mention it specifically, but there are activities within a 30 minute drive such as the Phoenix Children's Museum, the Science Museum, the Phoenix Zoo, etc...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Hawaii
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
PHX is an excellent call: I love any excuse to get down there in Jan/Feb before the baseball crowd arrives. (I mean, I like the baseball crowd too, but it becomes harder to have your pick and choice of hotels then...)

My kids *loved* that children's museum in PHX when they were little. They could spend hours running around in the noodle forest...so easily entertained!!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The other option I was also thinking about was Disney in FL. Thoughts on that vs the suggestions above?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I would avoid Florida, it can have humidity, which attracts mosquitoes, even in the winter. I think Phoenix, San Diego (my favorite, especially for a 2.5 year old) or Hawaii are much safer bets. In San Diego you have all the attractions in Balboa Park, plus lots of other stuff.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by drdavidge
Thanks. The other option I was also thinking about was Disney in FL. Thoughts on that vs the suggestions above?
I'd say wait until your kids are in the 6-8 range so they're fully able to enjoy WOW. If you go now one isn't even born and the other is so young they're not going to remember it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.