Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

"I was somebody once" giving up status. Sigh...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I was somebody once" giving up status. Sigh...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by BearX220
The bottom line for me is: the FF programs peaked years ago, I was lucky to be a major beneficiary in their heyday, but today I think giving up on them is pretty painless.
I agree and consider myself fortunate for catching the wave at the crest, though it took an awful lot of time and work tinkering with EAASY SABRE and the command lines in those early days when maybe 1% of people booked online. Even then, though, I had a sense that someday the tools may become too developed or easy and too many people would be doing what I did, and that would make it all untenable (or as my Mom used to say, "If the airlines ever figure out how much money they're losing because of you they'll shut it down quickly.")

As for the painless part, I think it's human nature to focus on perks like first-class upgrades (always a flashpoint) or getting into lounges, but those were getting more difficult anyway. I'd say the biggest thing missing for me is RDM earning not giving extra incentive on some low-fare finds, especially on alliance partners. A few years ago a WAS-CPT fare in the $600s on KL was posted, for example. Getting lots of RDMs and a 100% bonus helped seal the deal for me to take my first trip there, and I also lucked into an operational upgrade on AMS-CPT on the outbound.

Nowadays the economics are changed and the RDMs are insultingly low by comparison, so I either have to be really motivated on the destination or the fare has to be even lower (like the recent ANA BKK/KUL find now in mileage run deals). Heck, that's why I flew QR on an airfare special to BKK this year when the baseline before was about $200 more on a Skyteam carrier.

Overall, though, the world didn't end.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Written with newborn sleeping on chest:

It's happening to me too this year (See above). Two years ago I was Alaskan 75K, United 1K AND Marriott Platinum all at once. Those were the good ol' days of flying and MRing.

I'll be honest I'm happy to be changing diapers.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BearX220
The bottom line for me is: the FF programs peaked years ago, I was lucky to be a major beneficiary in their heyday, but today I think giving up on them is pretty painless.
Lengthy post full of good examples, and this is the crux.

The flip side of "I used to be somebody" is, "The programs used to be something."

Years ago, if you traveled periodically it was worth stretching to make higher status. Nowadays with dwindling benefits and increasing redemption costs there are few cases where it's worth stretching.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:56 pm

bigguyinpasadena,

You are still somebody. Sorry to hear about the health stuff. I recall getting some good tips and advice from your posts.

Best,

M8
bigguyinpasadena likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasedena
I am sure there are others on Flyertalk that have found themselves or are currently facing the same situation and I would live to hear from them.
First off let me wish you all the best for the future. Get well soon.

For the last 15 years or so, I've probably had a top tier status on UAL for every year except for 2-3, when I wasn't flying as much, for whatever reason.

I live for travel. In fact I like it so much that for the last 5 and a half years I worked as a software analyst for a company where I was on the road for 2-3 weeks out of every month, non-stop, except for my holidays, when I also flew somewhere.

I had miles, points, perks, and status, so much so, that I still have a couple of hundred thousand points that I need to use on IHG. I just couldn't use them fast enough.

There was one thing that I took away from the business travel experience. In order for status to really mean something, and for programs to work properly, the front line staff need to know the rules and treat the qualifying customers accordingly, instead of us having to politely request and remind them of our perks to which we are entitled. Programs are so diluted nowadays that IMHO, it really doesn't matter to me anymore. They are merely window dressing for the marketing department to promote.

The only company that still makes me feel wanted is AMEX, and some will say that is not saying much.

I have been paying for J airfares all year out of my own pocket for personal travel. It's still on UAL as they have the best routes/product for my needs, but as far as qualifying for status levels, or manipulating things to accumulate points on UAL or maybe a different carrier for a perceived better program or status, I could really care less anymore, as I am paying for it now. It's gotten down to that.

It's the product that matters. You get what you pay for. The programs and status levels, etc, are all watered down remnants of what "used to be".

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 30, 2017 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.