Programs: Many
What were *THE* best mistake fares of all time

1. Price, airline and routing?
2. Did you book it?
3. Did the Airline honor it?
4. When was this?
Old Oct 18, 17, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
1. $1100, United Airlines, U.S. west coast to New Zealand via SYD round trip in business class.
2. Yes.
3. They would have, but we cancelled for personal reasons and got a full refund. A friend bought three tickets and they had a great time in Kiwi-land.
4. May 2006. Sorry. Long since gone.
Old Oct 18, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: NZ *G
1. Around AUD $800... BKK-IST-GRU one way on TK in J.
2. Yes
3. Yes. And it was an unrestricted fare..so I booked for my travel buddy and I with a 3 day stopover in IST... from there we were able to visit Gallipoli - an iconic place for ex-military Aussies!
4. Years ago.....lol
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Got $4k+ in cash for 2 PAX on a fare that was not honored.
GuyverII and Gino Troian like this.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Best one I ever found myself was BOS-SAN on United, $10 base / $30 AI one-way in March 2011. Route through IAH for $0.0105 per EQM, and this was back when RDMs were distance based, so nearly $0.005 per RDM if you were elite and earning a 100% bonus. Didn't book, as I live in the midwest, but plenty on the MR forums booked it and it was honored.

Best one I didn't find, but was able to book myself, was Delta's mass mistake fare fiasco of 12/26/2013. ORD-LAX for under $5 base, $28 all-in one-way. Route via ATL for maximum miles, again about $0.011 per MQM and $0.0055 per RDM. I believe they had a bunch of premium fares that were bungled also, but I didn't book any of those.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
A colleague of mine went to Europe from JFK on the Concorde and back in F on another jet for around $1,000 back in 2002-2003 (assuming it was AF). I only found out about it when he got back so I didn't book it. Really wish I had.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Well, this thread is a reminder that mistake fares don't happen these days as often as they did, say, 10 years ago. There are also lots more blogs and other media to blast things out, shortening the time it takes for the airline to find out. The old rule, repeated emphatically, was "Never call the airline while a deal is still in play." That's still the rule, but I don't see the opportunities coming up as much.

(BTW, part of the old game was hoping for a ticket number, as you normally didn't get that right away and getting it would increase the chances of the deal being honored, at least for you, as it was more hassle for the airline to undo after that point).

Anyway, off the top of my head there were famous short-lived mistake fares to Fiji and Iceland sub-$100 a decade or so ago that I didn't get to. I did bag a $0 CLT-BGI ("Char-bados") on DL for just the $100 in taxes in 2007.

I guess my fave would have to be the Christmas Day wee-hours Etihad thing of 2014, when I booked IAD-MNL at $344 RT a-i ("Manila in March"), ORD-AUH for $208 RT a-i ("Abu Dhabi in April") and JFK-SEZ at $616 RT a-i ("Seychelles in September"). All required positioning flights on LCCs from ATL, but all were good trips.
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many great Jumbos have never made it onto FT. Still plenty of deals out there.

The RGN fares were some pretty good ones. AZ Cyprus, UA AKL, DL EZE-NYC, KL JNB-US, CX KTM-US, MH HKT-JNB, LH BKK-CPH, EK CAI-JNB. So many J and F fares, it's hard to remember them all.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 19, 17, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
20$ CAN-MEL return on Scoot, OTA mistake, charged full amount, refunded and ticket honoured, but didn't fly it. Last year
Old Oct 19, 17, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
The best one I ever heard of, was a Lufthansa First Class Error Fare. It was about 700 EUR for FRA-BKK-CGK, iirc. Didnīt book it. Was honored multiple times from what I hear. Mustīve been around 2007 I think.
Old Oct 19, 17, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EDDMflyer View Post
The best one I ever heard of, was a Lufthansa First Class Error Fare. It was about 700 EUR for FRA-BKK-CGK, iirc. Didnīt book it. Was honored multiple times from what I hear. Mustīve been around 2007 I think.
I flew BKK-FRA-CPH in LH F OW for $733 in 2009.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Oct 19, 17 at 3:47 am
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:43 am

Not me, but a long-lost acquaintance.

In the 80s, they got 'courier flight' from LON to NYC (rtn) for Ģ100 - on Concorde!

I wept.
Old Oct 19, 17, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Plat, OZ *G, DL Silver, FB Plat, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...t-68/23234223/

1. $51, UA F to Europe
2. No
3. No
4. 2015

The best one that I've seen honored was YVR-SYD on ANA J for ~$600. I missed that one but a bunch of people booked it earlier this year.
Old Oct 19, 17, 7:31 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The AZ YYZ-Cyprus - I took my wife and my mother for 4 days in Rome and 3 days
in Cyprus. Since we are based in YYZ, no positioning flights were needed. I believe
they were about $270 each round trip.
Old Oct 19, 17, 9:29 am

Loads of 1c oneway Ryanair flights about 10 years ago. No mistakes, though
Stn-Rome
Rome-Dub
Nantes-Stn
Dub-Berlin
Eindhoven-Dub
etc. all 2c return

Search this Thread
Search Engine: