FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Airplane Crash Dreams (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1872667-airplane-crash-dreams.html)

Eujeanie Oct 20, 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 28955106)
But nowadays I am usually on the aircraft that crashes. Usually there is first a lot of detail about the interior and the seating arrangements - which are invariably totally bizarre (but I still manage to obsess about which are the best seats!).

Most of my crash dreams these days involve very low flying, trying to avoid various topological features - as has been mentioned by several people. Strange that this is so common seeing as it isn't something that ever happens in commercial flights!

I have a really weird recurring dream about interiors! We board and it is like a huge living room - sofas and easy chairs everywhere. Some regular airline seats, but randomly there (not in rows). Lots of people sitting on the floor.

And once from LAS to SEA we were just way, way, too low over the mountains north of LAS...we knew something was wrong. They were RIGHT below us (this was not just on takeoff but for the entire time). Never asked, didn't want to know, we obviously made it safely.

pindi Oct 20, 2017 10:41 am

In my dreams, I'm always a witness/participant. I am on the ground, watching an airplane crash - I am always in its path - in its crash path. Sometimes I am able to get out of its path in time and other times I wake up sweating. It is horrible. And frequent. I hate it. Huge planes - not the 50 seater barbie jets. Always a jumbo. I would give anything to make these go away!

Lomapaseo Oct 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Once I dreamt that I was running through the terminal in an attempt to get to the gate on time, only to discover that I had no clothes on aside from underwear. So there were two options: return home to get some clothes, and hence miss the flight. Or run to the gate to catch the flight in my underwear and just re-stock on the clothes at the other end...
so you're the guy in "The Hall Of Shame" pictures that were posted

Catweazle Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 28961080)
so you're the guy in "The Hall Of Shame" pictures that were posted

Well it's a good thing I've never flown DL, so that can't be me!

venomtrilogy Nov 21, 2022 12:12 pm

One odd but interesting recurring dream I've had over the last few years has been being on a plane that is taking off or landing without enough space. Sometimes it's that the runway is very close to tall buildings or a wooded area. Looking out the windows, it's pretty clear that there isn't enough room for the wings on either side or that the plane should crash into something before it gets good altitude. But nothing ever happens. Last night I dreamt about a plane landing on train tracks in a narrow corridor with buildings on one side and power lines on the other. My brain kept saying it wasn't right. But, again, nothing happened. The plane just kept rolling along the tracks until arriving at a platform.

doctall41 Nov 21, 2022 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy (Post 34775051)
One odd but interesting recurring dream I've had over the last few years has been being on a plane that is taking off or landing without enough space. Sometimes it's that the runway is very close to tall buildings or a wooded area. Looking out the windows, it's pretty clear that there isn't enough room for the wings on either side or that the plane should crash into something before it gets good altitude. But nothing ever happens. Last night I dreamt about a plane landing on train tracks in a narrow corridor with buildings on one side and power lines on the other. My brain kept saying it wasn't right. But, again, nothing happened. The plane just kept rolling along the tracks until arriving at a platform.

doctall41 Nov 21, 2022 1:14 pm

strange how dreams work

mtofell Nov 21, 2022 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by doctall41 (Post 28946979)
It is worth noting that I work in the aerospace manufacturing industry,

Originally Posted by doctall41 (Post 28951389)
I failed to mention that my biological father (didn't raise me) died in a private plane crash (he was the pilot) when I was 11. .

I could definitely see these two contributing. I think a lot of us tend to dream about our work. For me it's that I can't get things done. I've had two main "careers" - waiting tables when I was younger and now doing home inspections. I constantly have "waiter dreams" where I can't get to my tables or can't navigate the computer to ring in orders. With the home inspections it's more that the house just keeps getting bigger and confusing and I can't get through it.

Neither of my jobs really have a direct safety component like yours so I could see that explaining crashes. You dad dying in a crash is also very likely contributing I'd have to think.

doctall41 Nov 21, 2022 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 34775354)
I could definitely see these two contributing. I think a lot of us tend to dream about our work. For me it's that I can't get things done.

Neither of my jobs really have a direct safety component like yours so I could see that explaining crashes. You dad dying in a crash is also very likely contributing I'd have to think.

I'm sure you're right about that.

Lomapaseo Nov 21, 2022 3:45 pm

It's the minds' way of coping with the unknowns

Best as you never get hurt.

If your dreams end in death, you need to see a shrink

CHCflyer Nov 27, 2022 6:45 pm

I'm glad to read others have similar dreams to me regarding aviation:
1. I'm in an old first class seat on a DC10 over the Atlantic and it somehow disintegrates midair and I plummet into the sea still strapped to the big seat. Luckily the seat breaks my fall into the sea, and I unclip and swim to shore
2. I watch a plane try to take off and it hits the terminal - always Heathrow central terminal area and its always a 757. There is a plume of smoke - I try and tell folks that the plane is in trouble but the words don't come out
3. I am trying to get to my departure and I know the airport really well but they have remodelled things so duty free shops and so on mask the normal path and the gate numbers. I usually find the gate only to realise I've forgotten my passport

I think I need counselling - the airlines involved in my crash reams are very specific and real.

Cheetah_SA Nov 28, 2022 3:07 am

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy (Post 34775051)

I often have dreams very similar to this! As I look out of the window I can see buildings or power lines or even the ground that are just way too close and I think: "No way can we avoid clipping a wing or hitting something." But somehow we navigate through it all and nothing ever goes wrong. (No aviation background here.)

Another flying dream is sitting in strangely configured cabins. Some involve sofas. Or reclining seats with no hard shell and peculiar layouts. I'm usually trying to work out the best seats to choose in this baffling configuration.

I have on several occasions dreamt that I am standing on the ground and see an aircraft develop problems and crash horribly. As I mentioned previously when I was a kid they brought Concorde to JNB for "hot and high" tests. Our house was under the flight path for the circuits and so I saw it many times. One night I dreamt it crashed. And being a kid I thought: "What if I am clairvoyant and it does actually crash!" It did, of course, but it took several decades - so I feel absolved of any connection.

Eujeanie Nov 28, 2022 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 34789757)
I often have dreams very similar to this! As I look out of the window I can see buildings or power lines or even the ground that are just way too close and I think: "No way can we avoid clipping a wing or hitting something." But somehow we navigate through it all and nothing ever goes wrong. (No aviation background here.)

Another flying dream is sitting in strangely configured cabins. Some involve sofas. Or reclining seats with no hard shell and peculiar layouts. I'm usually trying to work out the best seats to choose in this baffling configuration.

I have on several occasions dreamt that I am standing on the ground and see an aircraft develop problems and crash horribly. As I mentioned previously when I was a kid they brought Concorde to JNB for "hot and high" tests. Our house was under the flight path for the circuits and so I saw it many times. One night I dreamt it crashed. And being a kid I thought: "What if I am clairvoyant and it does actually crash!" It did, of course, but it took several decades - so I feel absolved of any connection.

Well this is just bizarre. I did a double-take to make sure someone hadn't reposted my dreams - see posts #23 and #31. Almost verbatim all 3 of your dreams.

Badenoch Nov 28, 2022 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 34789766)
Well this is just bizarre. I did a double-take to make sure someone hadn't reposted my dreams - see posts #23 and #31. Almost verbatim all 3 of your dreams.

Same here. All three. Very eerie.

Eujeanie Nov 28, 2022 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 34789918)
Same here. All three. Very eerie.

The huge planes with the sofas to me is the most unusual, so weird to find (at least) 2 others with that one.

I do have many transit dreams, riding buses and trains, but they are normal interior buses and trains.