Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving Airfare 2017

Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Is it just me, or are US airlines really holding out for high fares this Thanksgiving? I've been watching fares on numerous routes for ~6 months, and while travel before Thanksgiving seems relatively normal, travel on Sunday afternoon/evening after Thanksgiving is still extremely expensive compared to prior years, and on planes that are still sparsely filled. What has your Thanksgiving airfare looked like this year? Anybody else playing the waiting game?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for the past six weeks or so, WAS-BOS all day Saturday 11/25 (save for 0600-0700 departures), pretty much everything has been well north of $300; that’s about twice what I was expecting to see ... wound up with DCA-PWM on AA for around $225 and will take Amtrak back to BOS for $32
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not traveling this year for Thanksgiving, but the Sunday afternoon/evening is about the busiest possible time to pick.

It's possible that the flights are more full than they look by the seatmap, but have been booked by non-elites who don't have access to seats yet.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pinniped
Not traveling this year for Thanksgiving, but the Sunday afternoon/evening is about the busiest possible time to pick.

It's possible that the flights are more full than they look by the seatmap, but have been booked by non-elites who don't have access to seats yet.
I'm aware of the first point - I fully expect that is the most expensive time during the holiday weekend. The observation is about fares for that same time relative to previous years. The seat maps I'm seeing have considerable amounts of empty non-preferred seats that anyone has access to.

The same flights I booked last year for $245 have been running $739 this year, booking into the same exact fare classes. ($699 if I'm willing to accept Basic Economy.) I don't ever expect $245 for Thanksgiving travel, but I'd pull the trigger around $400-$450 for the 700 mile flight. It just hasn't happened.

Normally I book 2-9 months in advance (whenever the fares hit reasonable levels), but with the planes so empty and fares still so high, I'm waiting until closer to Thanksgiving to book than I have since 2009. Definitely a gamble, but one I've gotten fairly good at after a million miles of flying... planes don't get filled with Thanksgiving travelers at $700 each.

Last edited by javabytes; Oct 18, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.