Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax release gas mid-flight... what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax release gas mid-flight... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mr. Card trumps OP's flatulence problem.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/1...it-claims.html
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If you're flying in F, the cork from the Dom Pérignon bottle should do the trick.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I always blame the late middle aged guys. I could be wrong. A young hottie could also do it I suppose. Call it the "halo effect"
I had a very well off and well dressed older female friend. She said she loved "letting fluffy off the leash" in the rich clothing stores then zig zag through the racks to get away from the smell. She said she enjoyed watching people walk through the smell with their nose wrinkling up. She said they are so surprised as they think rich people don't fart!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I have a problem with gas on planes. I like to think I control myself, but we can all guess what happens if I happen to fall asleep. I might add that my stomach is in a roil for six or eight hours following a flight.
It's all about the relative atmospheric pressure. The plane has much less pressure than most are use to. Are insides have higher relative pressure and presto.....

I saw a show on Nat Geo where a cabin decompression on an airplane was demonstrated in a vacuum chamber. Not explosive-but gradual. The first thing many of the participants noticed was uncontrollable flatulence.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
It always amazes me to see food that is known to create stink on airline menu's such as asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, beans etc... Vegetarian Chili anyone???
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So long as they don't follow through, then one giant sniff and it is gone !
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:56 am

I generally carry a small fan with me just in case there are no vents (and sometimes even if there are) just to help cool the area down.

In cases like this, just whip the fan out and let it dissipate...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Gotta love this thread and the North American pragmatism (even if some posts are tongue-in-cheek). As a German, I think I'm just gonna be effing upset without a real plan to do anything about it.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
It always amazes me to see food that is known to create stink on airline menu's such as asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, beans etc... Vegetarian Chili anyone???
Taking those of the menu wouldn't prevent smell though since passenger might eat before boarding.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I for one am really surprised that an adult posts a query on what to doe when someone farts.

Answer-stay away.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
How do you "stay away" from someone on a flying tin can hurtling through the skies at 500 miles an hour? As soon as that little seatbelt sign lights up, what are you going to do? Jump out the emergency exit?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I always love the opportunity to reference this classic FT thread: Audacious and Unmitigated Flatulence.

Go read it. SO much fun in there.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:15 pm

Passenger next to me releasing gas incessantly

This old lady next to me is devouring a delicious Fuji apple which makes her gaseous. So without a shadow of modesty she releases said gases with the mighty sounds of a human trombone. This is going to be a long flight.

Update: finished her apple and now clipping her nails. What's next??! Should I request a seat change? Tell her to use a restroom?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Toenails? So her shoes are off? I guess when we get to a certain age we no longer care?

Although that is an awfully quick pass through the colon from mouth to exit.

Are there any spare seats you can move to, firstly asking the FA if it is okay to move.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Americans are funny...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.