Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax release gas mid-flight... what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax release gas mid-flight... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Oh man, I've unfortunately been on both sides of this coin. swingaling isn't wrong!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by swingaling
It's the altitude. It really does a number on the GI tract, especially on long flights. I go skiing in CO (8,000 ft base altitude) for a week every year and the gas is just unreal.

I believe it's commonly referred to as HAFE (high-altitude flatus expulsion).
I have a problem with gas on planes. I like to think I control myself, but we can all guess what happens if I happen to fall asleep. I might add that my stomach is in a roil for six or eight hours following a flight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Gag, throw up, say it was the food and put in a claim for compensation
And possibly end up staying at Her Majesty's pleasure for a few months.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gas? Perfume/cologne? BO?
Next time...netjets.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Always carry Poo-pourri. It comes in a spray bottle, travel sized, "Sitting Pretty" or "Deja Poo" scent.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:04 am

NEVERRRR underestimate the power of a durian....aka KING FRUIT!!!!
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:38 am

That's the only reason why I use air vents.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hondaman82
I was on a UA flight to Seatle yesterday and one of the pax around me started passing gas intensely (farting, but not too loud) , it was quite bad that I went to the lavatory and stay there for a good 10 mins...How do freq flyers here deal with stuff like this? LOL
There is nothing you can do. Even in F we smell this regularly.

I was on an AA flight last month and someone around me...never really worked out who...was making such a stink I thought they may have actually had an accident in their pants. It went away for awhile, then an hour later it was back. I have flown thousands of times in the last 20 years and this was the worst I stink I can remember. And my list of memorable stinks includes gallons of vomit and piles of baby poop.

Altitude does it. Especially on longer flights, although this AA flight was only 3 hours. To prevent it in my own belly I avoid gas rich foods a day or so before the flight. No beer, no beans, no brussel sprouts etc. And then I pop a Gas-X on the day of the flight. I only ever have the problem on long hauls and it doesn't manifest itself until about 6 hours in. The Gas X takes care of it.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Had a buddy who's summer job was at a funeral home...

...so when they would go to pick up the deceased to intern or take to the hospital for an autopsy they would sometimes be quite ripe if they hadn't been found for days.
Simple trick, a little Vicks Va-Po rub (the stuff for chest colds), on your upper lip.
Clears your sinuses and blocks out most offensive smells.
Cops use this too for similar situations.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:43 pm

OK, here is my story about the least important thing to complain about. What??? Really??? What thread is this again???
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been on a couple of particularly bad flights in the past month...ones where one or more people around me was dropping some seriously nasty a** the entire time.

Never could identity the perp(s), so usually I'd just guess and mentally blame somebody.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The coffee-filled paper pods in the galley also cover up smells. Also useful for smelly passengers on long-haul flights.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've been on a couple of particularly bad flights in the past month...ones where one or more people around me was dropping some seriously nasty a** the entire time.

Never could identity the perp(s), so usually I'd just guess and mentally blame somebody.
I always blame the late middle aged guys. I could be wrong. A young hottie could also do it I suppose. Call it the "halo effect"
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Stand up and announce.... could the person passing the noxious gas please refrain.
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Stand up and announce.... could the person passing the noxious gas please refrain.
The only appropriate response would be to stand up and say, "Pull my finger."
MojaveFlyer and stormlover like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.