"Stupid or shocking" travel / geography related things you just learned about

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stupid or shocking" travel / geography related things you just learned about

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
... And the new interface is a nightmare when you try to read back and forth through a thread.
and this :/
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:08 pm
Suspended

When online PS4 game playing, I sometimes ask another player where they are from and when they say X state, I like to answer, 'oh, I'm south of you in Canada.' Confuses the heck out of a lot of them. There are 27 US states south of where I live in Canada!

http://barelybad.com/north_of_canada_map.htm
oh_lol likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:15 pm

Didnt realize how truely large the Pacific Ocean is until I looked at flight duration.

Seattle to Shanghai across the pacific is about 5700 miles which is about the same distance between London and Shanghai.
I know planes take a northern flight route but seems like the entire Asian and European continent can fit into the Pacific ocean?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:03 pm

The US State closest to the African Continent?

Not Florida...Maine.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
The US State closest to the African Continent?

Not Florida...Maine.
Nice one!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
The inverse of the "USA is so big and spread out" realization - how close together some of the major cities in Western Europe are. You could wake up for breakfast in London, grab lunch in Paris, dinner in Brussels, and make it to Amsterdam for some late night partying and really not be rushed at any point in time.

And old too, I remember seeing the Cathedral in Antwerp and realizing "140 years after they started building this thing, Christopher Columbus hopped on a boat and started heading West." I then have to laugh whenever the local historical society in Baton Rouge rushes in to save some 80 year old run-down building.
roberino likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by mdkowals
The inverse of the "USA is so big and spread out" realization - how close together some of the major cities in Western Europe are. You could wake up for breakfast in London, grab lunch in Paris, dinner in Brussels, and make it to Amsterdam for some late night partying and really not be rushed at any point in time.

And old too, I remember seeing the Cathedral in Antwerp and realizing "140 years after they started building this thing, Christopher Columbus hopped on a boat and started heading West." I then have to laugh whenever the local historical society in Baton Rouge rushes in to save some 80 year old run-down building.
NSFW

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
When online PS4 game playing, I sometimes ask another player where they are from and when they say X state, I like to answer, 'oh, I'm south of you in Canada.' Confuses the heck out of a lot of them. There are 27 US states south of where I live in Canada!

http://barelybad.com/north_of_canada_map.htm
Cool, I never realized this.

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Didnt realize how truely large the Pacific Ocean is until I looked at flight duration.

Seattle to Shanghai across the pacific is about 5700 miles which is about the same distance between London and Shanghai.
I know planes take a northern flight route but seems like the entire Asian and European continent can fit into the Pacific ocean?
In fact, the surface area of the Pacific Ocean is larger than the Earth's total land surface area...so all the continents could fit! The entire surface area of Mars could also fit within the area of the Pacific with room to spare. Mars' surface area could also just barely squeeze onto the Earth's total land area.

It really makes you realize how incredible the Polynesians were to have explored and settled so many little specks of land across the vastness of the Pacific, as far east as Easter Island.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
duplicate

Last edited by 84fiero; Nov 21, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mdkowals
Haha, yeah. I remember in graduate school the local preservation society all atwitter that someone was looking to tear down a 70 year old house in town. Oh, the history! One of my European classmates scoffed, "Where I attended university, we have boogers stuck on the bathroom walls older than that."
mdkowals likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.