Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in the end, Princess did​​ sit in a middle seat?
The one she said she couldn't sit in?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've come across this a few times, some malicious, some not.

-About 18 months ago flying intra-Europe business class on BA I board and find a guy in my window seat, his wife is in the aisle seat and as many know the middle is blocked off. I show him my boarding pass and he moves but sits in the blocked middle. I tell him that isn't a seat and he points at the seat indicator thing above (this is an A319) that shows 2D/E/F so again I explain it isn't a seat in business class. He then looks at his boarding pass and realised he and his wife are in 2A and 2C. His response was to have a go at me for making this a problem!

-On a train last year in the UK I had reserved seats. The OH and I board and find a very busy train and with people in our seats. I tell the person they are in our seats and they complain noting someone is in their seats. I told them to take that up with the ticket inspector as I would if they didn't move...and so they did.

The most unusual for me was in 2006 flying CPT-LHR on BA. I was in 1A and relaxing before departure. An FA shows up with another passenger and asks to see my boarding pass. I grab my boarding pass and passport and see her holding an exact duplicate of my boarding pass complete with name, FF details etc. the guy cleared outbound security, immigration and the gate with a mismatched BP and passport...
howahya and DragonSoul like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:34 am

non confront

i never ever confront the person, just always show my bp to cabin crew and they take it from there.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The OP handled it well with a brief conversation to ascertain the poacher hadn't made an error. Upon encountering resistance going directly to the FA is the appropriate escalation.

I've accidentally sat in the wrong seat, had people accidentally sit in mine. It is preferable to sort that out independently if everyone is agreeable. I'll also swap for an equivalent seat if I'm feeling charitable but will not acquiesce to a poacher trying to get a better seat that was assigned to me. They are going to move. Just how complicated it becomes is up to them.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Gig103
Ugh! Nice handling of the situation, even if you hadn't paid the $89 for it, I hope you would have spoken up.
When asked to move seats I routinely quote the fare I paid for my seat and offer to move for that amount. Would have been interesting if the OP had offered to move for $89. But nice to see them dig in.
RJPA likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm not sure I believe that they wouldn't back someone up with the correct boarding pass.
Oh, they may not back up the rightful owner. Reasons vary, but usually the most common ones are that they simply want to turn the plane around and not "take the late" on it. The closer to pushback they get, the more tunnel vision they get and the more likely they are to say "Just take any seat!" or "sort it out later".

The other common reason is that the poacher is a non-rev, and they are friends with the FA. Even if not friends, they tend to get tribal with other company crew and although it's against the rules, they will try to do their buddies favors.

If you think this is the case, you have to call them out on it because they get in serious trouble for stuff like that. If you ask to see the poacher's BP, look for "NRSA" printed on it.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The OP handled it well with a brief conversation to ascertain the poacher hadn't made an error. Upon encountering resistance going directly to the FA is the appropriate escalation.

I've accidentally sat in the wrong seat, had people accidentally sit in mine. It is preferable to sort that out independently if everyone is agreeable. I'll also swap for an equivalent seat if I'm feeling charitable but will not acquiesce to a poacher trying to get a better seat that was assigned to me. They are going to move. Just how complicated it becomes is up to them.
We made that mistake recently, and it would have been nice if the proper owner of the seat had been halfway civil in his first approach. It was on an older aircraft that had clearly been reconfigured to cram in more seats and the numbers on the bins did not align properly with the rows. We had boarded earlier, the seat owner showed up late and started the "conversation" by yelling "You're in my seat!" (we were in aisle/middle, his was aisle) When we checked the BP's and doubled-checked the row numbers, I apologized and we moved back one row.

The guy now seated ahead of us immediately put his seat all the way back, and shortly thereafter got told off by the FA because he didn't want to put it forward for taxiing and take-off. What goes around, comes around...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
When someone was sitting in my seat once and wouldn't move, I told them I'd gladly swap with them for $50, or that I could ring the call button and have the FA sort it out. They ended up moving.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
A few years ago I was flying LHR to IAD in Virgin P/E. Had a nice seat, and an elderly indian lady sat down next to me. Then a few minutes later a younger Indian lady said 'excuse me, you're in my seat'.

I asked to see her boarding pass, confident that I was in the right seat, and it turned out that we'd both got the same boarding pass seat number (i.e. they both said 12B or whatever it was). She had flown in from India on a connecting flight, and was due to care for the older lady next to me.

I spoke to the crew, said given the lady in question was caring for the other woman, that I would be more than happy to move, but as the cabin was looking full, I'd prefer it if I could move forward in the plane rather than backwards.

a few minutes later I was settling into my lovely business class seat :-)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jimlad48
a few minutes later I was settling into my lovely business class seat :-)
Nice result!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:02 pm

...would be more than happy to move...a few minutes later I was settling into my lovely business class seat
Good deed. Good result.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:31 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
I asked to see her boarding pass, confident that I was in the right seat, and it turned out that we'd both got the same boarding pass seat number (i.e. they both said 12B or whatever it was). She had flown in from India on a connecting flight, and was due to care for the older lady next to me.
How does assigning two passenger to the same seat occur, and how frequently does it happen?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by tjl
How does assigning two passenger to the same seat occur, and how frequently does it happen?
I've had it happen to me. On a flight AKL-SYD-DXB, the other passenger with my seat number had boarded in AKL and after the plane stopped in SYD, I boarded with my husband.

We let the cabin crew deal with it. They upgraded the other passenger, since that was easier than upgrading two of us.

It was all dealt with amicably and we were happy with the result.
howahya likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by muji
Good deed. Good result.
Sadly in this kind of situation, good deeds don't often yield good results.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by brianmillman
Just got out of airport and to hotel. Flew PHL-LAX. I paid the $89 fee to sit in the aisle seat in the exit row (didn't get an upgrade). So I get to my aisle seat and there is a lady already plopped down sitting in it. I put my bags in the over head and very politely say "I think you are in my seat maam". Her response "they gave me the middle seat, and I can't sit in the middle". Then she ignores me. The boarding line is now at a standstill and backed up. I have to move to the seat row across from me to let people pass, my ... pressed firmly against the seated passengers face in that row. I press the stewardess dinger button above about 10x, FA comes over. I explain the situation. FA to lady in my seat "You need to take your assigned seat". Lady responds "I'm not moving". By now the entire plane is watching this fiasco. The gate agent comes on board and tells the lady if she doesn't take her assigned seat, she will be removed from the plane for noncompliance with staff. Finally she moves.

I mean the nerve. I paid $89 and she stole my seat.

I wonder if I go down to the local Benz dealer if I can have a free car? How would that work?

I paid for an upgrade , about $75 once, a guy asked me if I would take $100 to switch seats with him as his buddy was in the middle, i took the $100 and had some drinks on the plane ! Maybe there is a market to resell your seat on a plane to the highest bidder around ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.