Wiki Posts
Search

Apparently I'm not a gentleman - fight at TSA security

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Apparently I'm not a gentleman - fight at TSA security

Walking to security at EWR just minding my business. A woman in her early 40s and another woman in her late 60s (turns out to be the mother) are sitting on the floor with their luggage open searching for something in the suitcases. No big deal as the hallway is 200' wide. I don't make eye contact with them, don't say a thing, just walk around them.

Get to TSA security line and I feel a poke in my arm, following by "hey you". It's the woman, who starts giving me lip service of how I'm "not a gentleman" because I should have waited for her and her mother to collect their things instead of walking around them. I gave her lip right back and the mother gets right in my face screaming at me to apologize to her daughter. I'm talking 1" from my face.

I decide it's not worth the stupidity and let it go. They proceed to call a TSA supervisor and tell him I've been cursing and threatening them. I end up getting pulled out of line and "for the security of the women" I am made to wait in another line. TSA would flat out not listen to me. I was guilty. Period.

So there you have it. Think twice about walking around people laying on the floor rummaging thru their luggage. I bet when they got on their plane they seat poached F too.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Bridge and tunnel attitude all around...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
A random person yelling at you seems like a good time to forget you speak English.

"Pardon moi? Je suis désolé, mais je ne parle pas anglais"
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by brianmillman
Walking to security at EWR just minding my business. ...
So, crazy has discovered air travel?

BTW: I'm sick and tired of these selfish .......s (men and women) who falsely accuse others of something, particularly if they are accusing someone of something illegal.

If someone crazy barks at you the next time, go noisy. People will see it and if you explain calmly and loudly what's going on, you'll have at least the possibility of someone confirming that you haven't been threatening or cursing.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"I gave her lip right back."

The result here was preordained.

Don't engage with irrational or crazy people. It's not as though anything you say is going to change them for the better and if the lip could reasonably be construed as "cursing and threatening" you can only imagine why anybody trying to maintain order did what they did.

I suppose that you could have asked for a law enforcement officer, but that would have likely ended up with further delay and no satisfaction either.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by txflyer77
A random person yelling at you seems like a good time to forget you speak English.

"Pardon moi? Je suis désolé, mais je ne parle pas anglais"
Ironically, I've tried this before in France (pretending to speak neither English nor French when engaged by someone trying to get me to sign something), and I'm not very good at it...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by pewpew
Ironically, I've tried this before in France (pretending to speak neither English nor French when engaged by someone trying to get me to sign something), and I'm not very good at it...
I speak four languages so seems I will be in better position....
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by invisible
Well, yes, so do I . it's harder than you'd think to pretend not to understand when you actually do...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Why speak four languages when you'll have to learn a single sentence in Chinese?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:24 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by pewpew
I made the mistake in my youth of spouting off something in French when I was in Belgium and was approached by someone speaking what was probably Flemish.

Cue head slap...they all speak both...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP should make a public record request to PANYNJ for the CCTV footage.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung
OP should make a public record request to PANYNJ for the CCTV footage.
+1. Welcome to my world. EWR is the biggest [mess] in the world wth the worst TSA and the worst flying public. I go to the gate when boarding begins as I want to be as far away as possible from the type of people that you described and they are everywhere at EWR. These are probably the same people who stand and block boarding area 1 since they are either too stupid or too inconsiderate to stand aside.
ToddSpam likes this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Oct 11, 2017 at 7:53 am Reason: masked vulgarity
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Sorry to hear what you experienced. Is this Terminal A for American/Virgin?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by brianmillman
Walking to security at EWR just minding my business. A woman in her early 40s and another woman in her late 60s (turns out to be the mother) are sitting on the floor with their luggage open searching for something in the suitcases. No big deal as the hallway is 200' wide. I don't make eye contact with them, don't say a thing, just walk around them.

Get to TSA security line and I feel a poke in my arm, following by "hey you". It's the woman, who starts giving me lip service of how I'm "not a gentleman" because I should have waited for her and her mother to collect their things instead of walking around them. I gave her lip right back and the mother gets right in my face screaming at me to apologize to her daughter. I'm talking 1" from my face.

I decide it's not worth the stupidity and let it go. They proceed to call a TSA supervisor and tell him I've been cursing and threatening them. I end up getting pulled out of line and "for the security of the women" I am made to wait in another line. TSA would flat out not listen to me. I was guilty. Period.

So there you have it. Think twice about walking around people laying on the floor rummaging thru their luggage. I bet when they got on their plane they seat poached F too.
And of course what you experienced isn't sexism, right?

Doesn't matter if the woman is the guilty party, the man is always the problem.
Kevin AA and ToddSpam like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Why speak four languages when you'll have to learn a single sentence in Chinese?
I have used this sort of a idea in the past, and revert to using American Sign Language.

It has worked every single time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.