Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Odds of Visa Requirements to Japan Changing in the future

Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I understand there is no visa required to visit Japan from CA. Considering world events how likely is that to be the case in 3 years? What about 4-6?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Visa requirement is based on citizenship, not where you depart from. Assume CA here refers to California rather than Canada.

Japan imposes no visa requirements on U.S. citizens (or most other developed countries), and that is unlikely to change in the next few years
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:43 pm

In 2 years time Japan will require a visa to visit from California but not the other 49 states
ajGoes and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by t325
In 2 years time Japan will require a visa to visit from California but not the other 49 states
In two years time they may require a visa to visit the other 48 states (excepting NY) from CA.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by bigvuth
I understand there is no visa required to visit Japan from CA. Considering world events how likely is that to be the case in 3 years? What about 4-6?
If you are on a US passport, the visa waiver for Japan is up to 3 months stay for tourism. That does not mean you can go there and work without a work visa but you can visit. I doubt that will change. I've been going for almost 20 years on a tourist waiver.

On the chance that you mean Canada by CA, then they also have a visa waiver. I think it is also 3 months.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If you are on a US passport, the visa waiver for Japan is up to 3 months stay for tourism. That does not mean you can go there and work without a work visa but you can visit. I doubt that will change. I've been going for almost 20 years on a tourist waiver.

On the chance that you mean Canada by CA, then they also have a visa waiver. I think it is also 3 months.
Pretty much, first world country to first world country, ordinary tourist and you won't need a visa.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Pretty much, first world country to first world country, ordinary tourist and you won't need a visa.
Except for the USA which technically does not require a visa but does require an ESTA which a) must be obtained in advance, b) has limited duration and c) must be paid for. In other words is a visa in all but name.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Whether you mean Canada or California, I haven't heard anything to suggest that Japan is about to change its tourist visa requirements. You can visit using your U.S. or Canadian passport.

Student visas, work visas, longer stays than 90 days...obviously that's a different story.

It's certainly possible that the U.S. could piss off the entire world in 3 years' time (we've done a pretty good job of it in the past 9 months), but we'd be getting into speculative OMNI P/R territory there suggesting that Japan will respond by requiring tourist visas between now and then.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Except for the USA which technically does not require a visa but does require an ESTA which a) must be obtained in advance, b) has limited duration and c) must be paid for. In other words is a visa in all but name.
Australia also requires essentially the same thing for USA and a few other country's citizens.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Except it's purely electronic and not something you get from an embassy. It's sort of a middle ground.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Is there a particular reason you're concerned about possible Japanese entry requirements over a time span of 3-6 years?

From your past posts, you often seem to ask similar questions requesting speculation on pricing and other travel situations far into the future. Are you trying to plan something out and working out budgets? Something else?

Knowing your actual purpose might get you some more practical responses geared toward the root concern. But typically you'd only need to worry about entry requirements much closer to planned travel than half a decade out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.