Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Nosy Neighbor or rude seatmate?

Nosy Neighbor or rude seatmate?

Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by winston vickers
Been flying for 30 plus years and try to be the best passenger to the airline and my fellow seatmates.

Got to the airport last night and discovered that there was an earlier flight to my destination. Because it was it was a last minute deal, only middle seats left. No problem since it was an hour flight. The person in the aisle seat was a little bit larger, had their earbuds in and took both armrests. The person in the window seat was elderly and very small framed, but they were making themselves at home and had a bag of items between the window and their legs which made them move more into what should have been my space. I ignored all of his and put my earbuds in and turned on the TV and was glad to get home early.

5 minutes into flying, the elderly passenger in the window seat tapped me on the shoulder. They said that they didn't appreciate the TV News Show that I was watching and they wanted me to turn to another channel. I was dumbstruck and at first I ignored them. I put my earbuds back in and the person waived their hands in front my screen and again I took my earbuds out and they started to give me a lecture on the evils of watching this show. I spoke up very loudly and said that they needed to mind their business, this was America and I had the right to watch what I wanted and they needed to leave me alone. They then pull out a book to read and it's all about the rights of the individuals being tramped on and how to fight back!

I consider myself a nice helpful person to my fellow human beings. For the rest of the flight, I made sure that they weren't in my space and during drink service wouldn't help pass the drink. Petty, I know but I was pissed at this point.

I know that the there are strong political views held by many folks in this country but I was stunned at their behavior. Anyone ever run into something like this?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were watching Fox News?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob0225
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were watching Fox News?
I was going to guess MSNBC.

Either way, I would have told the other pax that, the last time I checked, we could watch whatever we want and politely suggest that the pax mind their own business.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:51 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

You could have handed the elderly person an eye mask.
shadow10-8 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:38 pm

other passengers have commented on the videos i watched twice. once, i was watching 'snowpiercer' and the person sitting next to me got interested. i shared my earbuds and we watched it together. the second time, i was watching 'powaqqatsi.' after we landed, someone behind me was curious and asked what it was, and commented that the visuals were fascinating but couldn't tell what was going on. i tried to explain the film, and commented that the soundtrack is important to the film.

it certainly helped that both of those other passengers were polite.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Never had a seat mate that I couldn't convey a message to, by opening Hemi, or getting my ear buds out.

Happens very rarely to be honest. 98% of the time I find that airplanes turn folks into introverts.

2 weeks ago on UAL129 to GIG the band Offspring was sitting in front of me in J. They were on their way down to perform at Rock in Rio. Quiet and polite, kinda disappointed that they didn't rip the IFE out of its brackets, turn the seats upside down, and break booze bottles everywhere. I mean, what kind of legacy rock band is that.......heh ? (sarc)

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 9, 2017 at 8:33 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: Sky Team (Flying Blue Gold) Star Alliance (Senator Gold) Matmid - ELAL (Platinum)
I would have told her to fly first class next time, and if she's lucky she won't have a seat next to her or an empty seat.
I once had a passenger in economy behind me complaining about me reclining my seat. I told him i wanted to sleep, so he kept on bothering me with his knees, hitting the back of my seat.
So annoying!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:03 am

"Sir/Madam, Avert your eyes!"
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
"Foxtrot Oscar"
LtKernelPanic and Fleck like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:54 am

If you were watching Fox News, she has my sympathies.
Glensea likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: Premier 1K (Former CO Plat)
Smile Reminds me of an old joke!

Originally Posted by hammie
"Sir/Madam, Avert your eyes!"
Woman calls the hotel's front desk to complain that a couple across the courtyard was nude and acting lewdly with the shades up.

The house detective came to the room, looked out the window, and couldn't see anything.

"Stand on the bed, Stand on the bed" the woman shouted.
Freebird, Glensea, thekfc and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Assumptions

Nowhere in this post was it mentioned that the "elderly passenger" was a female. Yet several posters assumed that "SHE" was sitting next to you.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
I can imagine what you were watching. How dare you!
I would have added who you voted for. I'm sure that would have also made their day. I use these stories to share with my students what happens them as adults if they don't pay attention in my Social Studies class.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:17 pm

I was hooked on the Sopranos one recent flight in Asia and there was a bit of boob now and then. As soon as it came up I got really worried that someone around me would complain and it got me thinking about why is this actually allowed on a plane when there could be under 18s nearby...Not that i personally mind, but if there had have been kids around I certainly would have fast-forwarded.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
You could have handed the elderly person an eye mask.
Or take off their glasses.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
"Please stop talking to me"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.