Wiki Posts
Search

One Seat Left at This Price

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
One Seat Left at This Price

I've often wondered whether this note was true on various airline ticket booking sites (including direct purchases from the carrier).

Just booked a flight in Air France Premiere/First Class over the Christmas holiday where that alert was posted. Went back the next day to see what was happening with the cost, and the return leg price increased by $7500! So maybe it's not just a tease.

What do folks think?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
It's not just a tease. It's one of that fare class left.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Inventory is dynamic so purchase of the last seat for a particular fare does not necessarily mean no more will be sold again for that flight. The airline may add further availability later.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The "one seat left" message might be true at the time the fare is displayed, but this does not mean that the airline won't open up another seat at that price after you purchase the last one.

Example: "Buy now -- there is only one seat left at this price!" the Airline warns. The Customer frantically buys the last available ticket in that class. After ticketing, the Airline opens another seat in that same booking class, only to exclaim again, "Buy now -- there is only one seat left at this price!" Rinse and repeat.

In effect, the airline creates a false sense of urgency to spur immediate purchases, so the "one seat left" message might actually be a tease! In fairness, I have no evidence that the airlines do this, but the cynic in me wouldn't put it past them.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by mikew99
The "one seat left" message might be true at the time the fare is displayed, but this does not mean that the airline won't open up another seat at that price after you purchase the last one.

Example: "Buy now -- there is only one seat left at this price!" the Airline warns. The Customer frantically buys the last available ticket in that class. After ticketing, the Airline opens another seat in that same booking class, only to exclaim again, "Buy now -- there is only one seat left at this price!" Rinse and repeat.

In effect, the airline creates a false sense of urgency to spur immediate purchases, so the "one seat left" message might actually be a tease! In fairness, I have no evidence that the airlines do this, but the cynic in me wouldn't put it past them.
It usually happens once every 24 hours.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Possible and known to happen with some airlines and fare classes (e.g. discounted biz or some awards) but sometimes they do "run out" of the inventory and more does not show up.
Originally Posted by Palal
It usually happens once every 24 hours.
Most airlines have inventory/revenue management systems significantly more modern that that. Seats and fares available change in real-time, not on a 24-hour cycle.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

This feels right to me. Sometimes you really are the lucky person who got that last one in that fare class. Sometimes it's just a false sense of urgency. Usually no way to really know.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:52 am

Sometimes it really is the last seat at that price, and after booking, guess what, the next fare bucket was lower than what you just paid.
Yahtzee likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Sometimes it really is the last seat at that price, and after booking, guess what, the next fare bucket was lower than what you just paid.
I don't doubt that it COULD happen, but I tend to suspect it would be a pink unicorn
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Whenever pricing tickets for family travel, I always price one seat first. That way, I know if going to two or four seats (depending on who is going) kicks us into other buckets. If it does, we can buy sep PNR's or bite the bullet if the difference isn't much.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Whenever pricing tickets for family travel, I always price one seat first. That way, I know if going to two or four seats (depending on who is going) kicks us into other buckets. If it does, we can buy sep PNR's or bite the bullet if the difference isn't much.
yep, good strategy; I've done similar for several years ... also when looking for "U" space (upgrade inventory) on AS flights (particularly valuable when using the companion cert)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.