Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping for airport curbside check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Tipping for airport curbside check-in?

Caveat: Prior to the situation described below, it had been a few years since I stepped foot at a US airport; it had been 10+ years since I have flown AA.

I recently flew LGA-YYZ in paid F. My driver dropped me off at the curbside check-in and unloaded the bags. I approached the counter and checked in for my flight. The guy doing the check in handed me the boarding pass and told me (and I paraphrase here) that [bold]he will take care of my bags, and whether I recognize him by providing a gratuity is up to me.[/bold]

Hmm... I was somewhat floored by the suggestion, yet quickly gave him a few bucks to make sure he really does take care of my bags. Let's face it: if I was at a seedy diner and the waitress offered to make sure there was no "special sauce" in my grilled cheese sandwich, and then suggested an upfront tip, I would have likely ponied up as well (this assuming I was there, because there were no other choices at hand in the first place).

All that said, is this normal / common?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Tipping for the skycap outside - (not an AA employee) - is standard in the US.

I've never been asked.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:59 am

About 10 years ago, I was flying to visit family at the age of 15-16, on my own. My aunt dropped me off curbside at SFO, and I got a very similar phrase and tip suggestion from the attendant there.

Being that age I gave her $5 not knowing better, and to be honest felt like I was possibly being taken advantage of...but later on I learned that is in fact standard, although the way they ask does make you quite leery of the interaction as a whole.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:45 am

Yes, tipping the outside skycaps is standard in the US. The system leads to outdoor check-in agents making several times what their indoor counterparts make, but it is what it is.

Personally, I really don't like people asking for tips, or evening mentioning them, so I would be turned off by this guy's approach. But, and while I doubt he would actually damage/delay the bags, it's probably not worth the risk of getting into a discussion about it. Which is just one reason why I always check-in inside.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blue2002
...The guy doing the check in handed me the boarding pass and told me (and I paraphrase here) that [bold]he will take care of my bags, and whether I recognize him by providing a gratuity is up to me.[/bold]

...Let's face it: if I was at a seedy diner and the waitress offered to make sure there was no "special sauce" in my grilled cheese sandwich, and then suggested an upfront tip, I would have likely ponied up as well
There's absolutely zero parallel between the 2 above scenarios. It's not like the guy said "I'd hate to see these bags end up in Hawaii" or even "you know-- so no one takes anything out of 'em" etc., etc.

And, only extremely cheap people don't tip for a curbside check-in, it's expected and appropriate. Don't wanna tip? Take your bags inside.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's perfectly understandable that OP asked the question as tipping isn't the custom everywhere. But the curbside check-in folks in the US are not employees and make their money from tips. It's unfortunate that they may feel the need to remind people, but it's likely their experience that people from other countries don't know that tipping is expected.

Do bear in mind that unlike other services, you really do have a choice. Curbside is a major convenience for many people. But, you are free to lug your stuff inside to a counter, check it there with an air carrier employee and neither is a tip expected nor would one (hopefully) be expected.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I used to wonder about curbside skycaps ask for tips but inside check-in agents never ask for tips. A friend used to work for an airline told me that curbside skycaps are contract and not airline employees, where agents at check-in counter inside of the terminal are airline employees.

What I do not like is inconstancy between tipping outside at curbside and no tipping inside curbside. As far as passengers (consumers) are concerned we are getting same service. This is like if I sit at one part of a restaurant then no tipping to server but if I sit at another part of the restaurant then tipping is expected. I ordered same item and received same service.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Flew DL out of PDX with some friends right after new year's and the early morning check-in line inside was insane, so we (2 couples) stood in the curbside line which was still fairly long, but maybe only about 10 folks deep. I had actually never utlized the service before, but I understood tipping was customary, but I wasn't sure the expected amount. It was very cold and windy that morning, so the sky caps were definitely earning hazard pay, and I was keeping an eye on the people in front of me trying to glimpse the average tip. Wasn't actually able to see much unfortunately.

So my friends (the other couple) get to the sky cap, check in and apparently realized they didn't have any cash on them to tip. The sky cap said, "Don't forget that I'll be the one looking after your bags..." in an almost menacing tone, but my friends were like, "ooops, sorry!" and walked off.

They got a guilt trip, which I thought was a bit uncouth, but their bags made it home all the same.

I hardly check a bag when traveling so I don't think I'll use sky caps often, but it's always good to carry a fiver and some ones on you for tips.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by michaelpop

So my friends (the other couple) get to the sky cap, check in and apparently realized they didn't have any cash on them to tip. The sky cap said, "Don't forget that I'll be the one looking after your bags..." in an almost menacing tone, but my friends were like, "ooops, sorry!" and walked off.

They got a guilt trip, which I thought was a bit uncouth, but their bags made it home all the same.

That's just a [redacted] move. I would have given them back their bags. And unchecked them. the skycaps are out there grinding, check your pockets before you use em.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; May 10, 2016 at 8:49 am Reason: vulgar
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Tipping is not only customary, it's probably a good idea. Not that agents typically do this to non-tippers, but I was in earshot of a few agents who were upset about a family not giving them a tip for checking six bags, and I saw a few bags get some harsh treatment when they were being loaded in the trolley to take inside.

I'd usually tip $3-5 if flying alone or with a companion, and a little more with a larger party.

Originally Posted by will2288
Which is just one reason why I always check-in inside.
+1. It's extremely easy to prevent this dilemma. Just carry the bags a little bit further and check in inside.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:32 pm

Idk if I'd go as far as to say it's a dick move...I think it's fair to say that we are at the airport (regardless of inside or right outside), so the average person, especially if they either don't fly a lot or don't use the curbside services, wouldn't know the common practice of tipping in this exact situation - since I do not believe that it is remotely close to common for people to tip inside the airport at the check-in area.

To my knowledge, I don't even think there is a sign or anything near curbside check-in giving a heads up about "gratuities are appreciated" or similar wording - please let me know if I'm in the wrong

Especially with the point made earlier that it is the same service essentially as inside as far as the customer is concerned, so again, I don't think the average person can be blamed for making that mistake.

And, if I didn't have cash on me for whatever reason to tip in that situation, the dick move would be for them to give me my bags back and uncheck me - after all it is a gratuity and not a service fee.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The nuances of American tipping custom across service providers - cabs, bellmen, hair stylists - can be complex. Some providers with a high fraction of non-U.S. guests - say, a restaurant near Disney World - might just add a mandatory fee and be done with it. Americans - in my opinion - like checking bags with an 'optional' tip better than with a mandatory fee. Yes, I 'tip' when I check bags curbside.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's absolutely zero parallel between the 2 above scenarios. It's not like the guy said "I'd hate to see these bags end up in Hawaii" or even "you know-- so no one takes anything out of 'em" etc., etc.

And, only extremely cheap people don't tip for a curbside check-in, it's expected and appropriate. Don't wanna tip? Take your bags inside.
Easy there, tiger...
Firstly, there is parallel. The way the comment was made appeared to suggest that the level of care afforded to my luggage will be related to the level of the a priori payment. To an untrained eye that looks more like extortion, not a tip nor gratuity. Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear about the impression in my OP.

Re "only extremely cheap people" makes me wonder how many times @JonNYC has been outside of NYC, or more precisely outside of North America (a tipping paradise as a replacement for decent wages, BTW, but that is a topic for an OMNI discussion perhaps). You see, I gave you my disclaimer right at the top of my OP. What I did not mention, but will add now for your education is that I was connecting from EY business class AUH-JFK. EY picks up their J passengers from home and drops them off at the F/J wing of their AUH terminal, where one simply steps out of the car and walks into the terminal. Luggage automagically (i.e. via EY staff porters) is unloaded, placed on carts and follows you to the check-in position. Tips are not expected. Once when I offered one, it was refused. So... next time before you trash someone (yeah, "extremely cheap" fits in the category), consider that not everybody lives in your centre of the universe.

To all other responders, thanks! I had no idea these were contract skycaps, and not AA checkin staff. Lots of good info from all of you.
Tony_B likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Americans - in my opinion - like checking bags with an 'optional' tip better than with a mandatory fee.
You are probably right. I would have preferred to see a published set fee, but I can appreciate the societal bias.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Yes, tipping is the norm in this scenario. One of the things on my to-do list before each trip is to go to the bank and get cash, making sure to get fives and tens, so as to have money for tips at the airports and when I reach the hotels. I set the "tip money" aside in my purse, knowing it's going to be used for a particular purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.