Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Americans fear solo travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
My general policy is that I don't go to any table service restaurants with a wait. I also sit at the bar and order there if the establishment has one, which adds flexibility if I can't eat at an off-peak time. Haven't run into any problems so far.
A lot of places in Europe that have the outdoor seating do not have seats at the bar... I have been seated in these places solo but actually have been made fun of by some [jerks] believe it or not. One time in Salzburg, Austria I wanted to try the Salzburger Nockerl which is usually a portion for 2-3 people. Two people swung by my table when I was minding my own business to tell me that I shouldn't eat such a magnificent dish by myself... another told me that it's a shame that I couldn't invite anyone else. I should've told them to .... off and mind their own business but I just ignored them.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Oct 11, 2017 at 7:56 am Reason: masked vulgarity
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by txflyer77
My question was more about the inevitable rise of independent tourism by mainland Chinese. Seems to me that travel resources written in Mandarin are a necessary but not sufficient condition for that to begin.

I doubt that the existing English-language travel publishers are getting into that (maybe LP, hard to imagine RS has the resources). I was wondering if there are publishers going after that market today.
Travel in groups is a cultural thing. Singapore is English speaking country, all these books are accessible for the local population, yet locals older than 25 prefer to go with organized groups - number of travel agencies per person here is way above anywhere I've seen outside of Asia.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 14, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:19 pm

Untrue

I travel solo all the time. Went to London and France by myself last year going to Canada next year, bounce all over the US.

Being American doesn't mean squat on whether or not you are comfortable traveling alone.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I love bad generalizations. I've been to all 7 continents solo and would rather travel solo than have to contend with my family. When I'm solo, I'm up at dawn and exploring the environs but when I travel with others, I have to wait for them to wake up, have breakfast, get ready, ... zzzzzz

My grandmother used to travel solo into her 80s. She loved meeting new people and seeing new things while my grandfather was happier just staying home and getting his daily rounds of golf in.

The big thing I see is that other people -- Americans, Canadians, etc. -- like to travel with others because they find shared experiences to be more enjoyable, not because of any fear. The only common denominator I've seen on various travel fora or in the groups I've joined were young women are the demographic most likely to be apprehensive about traveling solo.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Not afraid here...........

I don't think a statement like this can mean anything. I enjoy the peace and quiet and only needing to do what I want to do.

DH and I also travel together, or he is perfectly capable of finding his way around the states or the world.

So each alone, or going together, we have it down for about 30 years now.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
snip
When I'm solo, I'm up at dawn and exploring the environs but when I travel with others, I have to wait for them to wake up, have breakfast, get ready, ... zzzzzz
snip
This. A thousand times this. (I'm no hermit. I like shared experiences, but wish I could just meet up with people to share them.)
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:19 am

My young relative will travel on her own, but the amount of harassment she gets is wearing.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:46 pm

Nope. I travel solo all over Mexico on my motorcycle. Ride from Houston. Have done many countries in the world solo.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

I traveled solo when I backpacked Europe. Stayed in hostels. Met lots of other solo Americans.

The ones who never seem to travel alone were Australians - where there's one, there's 19 others chanting and chugging beer
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greggarious
The ones who never seem to travel alone were Australians - where there's one, there's 19 others chanting and chugging beer
Yeah, try not to get into a boatrace with a bunch of Aussies... Usually doesn't end well.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I just got back from another solo trip. This time to Spain (Costa del Sol). What a wonderful place. Even with my limited Spanish, I had great conversations with people. I never really felt alone. A couple of mornings, I didn't even wake up alone.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Even with my limited Spanish, I had great conversations with people.
That's because Costa del Sol isn't actually Spanish - it's British.
Martinis at 8 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not this American. I travel solo quite often both domestically and internationally. I typically spend the week between Christmas and New Years in Europe by myself and I've also traveled to Canada, Central America and Asia solo.
Martinis at 8 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:30 pm

Well this new empty nesters is going to have to give it a try one day. When your friends and family are broke and boring what else do you do...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:13 am

I'm glad people here mentioned the restaurant thing. I'm okay doing nearly everything alone. but going out to eat at normal, nice sit down restaurants is uncomfortable for me. I feel like whenever I have done that, I get awful service. I wouldn't even go during busy times. I agree if a restaurant has a bar to eat there though.

Generally though I eat like this. Take advantage of the free breakfast at the hotel (if they have it), or grab something on the go (I'm not a big breakfast eater....just something light like coffee and toast or something). Eat lunch out. Usually I find something super casual. Not fast food, but sort of like an outdoor market. For dinner, same idea as lunch or I like to go to a supermarket and get food from there (hot or cold). The joke is some of the best food I've had in the US and out of the US were at normal supermarkets lol.

I also find eating alone at a restaurant a little sad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.