Search

Americans fear solo travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Skatering
This. And I don't think it's just the USA.

There's a lot of social stigma associated with doing things alone. I've wasted so much time and lost so many potential experiences because I didn't have anyone to go with. I since learned how to be alone, and now doing things solo is perfectly natural to me. I've had many more positive experiences because of it. I've had friends really want to see movies in the cinema but never actually went in the three months it was showing because 'they had nobody to go with' and it baffles me now.

I do find there's an underlying assumption that if I'm alone in a tourist hotspot, I must be waiting for someone. I regularly had an 'Are you waiting for your friends?' inside Las Vegas shows from those people wanting to take pictures of you. No, I'm on a business trip here, and I'm seeing these shows in the evening because I can.

As a solo female traveller, South Africa was pretty bad. Every restaurant I went to usually involved the server thinking something was wrong with me that I was on my own, with many questions fired at me about whether I actually have friends. At one point I was very nearly refused a table because of it. I found women were generally worse than men. But that's cultural variation.
The US airline's security contracts outside of the US do tend to find solo international leisure travelers to be "more suspicious" on average than those traveling in groups.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:29 am

This has been a fascinating thread to read.

Personally, I enjoy solo travel and do it regularly. And when I do it I'm not on the lookout for other solo travelers to hang out with. The rare times when I do interact with other solo travelers are generally at meals around street food or counters. I enjoy those quick chats, and then going on our separate ways. Otherwise, dining alone has never really been an issue for me, except in Latin America. That's where I always feel a little uncomfortable because it seems like I'm a novelty and a point of attention.

I'm ambiguously ethnic, but I figure the baseball cap with a somewhat recognizable but not ubiquitous team logo on it clearly labels me as an American overseas.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US airline's security contracts outside of the US do tend to find solo international leisure travelers to be "more suspicious" on average than those traveling in groups.
I did get alot more questions from US border patrol on a recent solo trip than I usually do when traveling with hubby. But then again, that may have had more to do with the hot flashes that made me red and sweaty just as I was approaching the desk
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by k374
This is based on my own personal sample size...that is how statistics work, they don't poll every single person. My sample size is now large enough that I can come to some conclusions, probably sampling around at least a 1000 people and 99% of them avoided solo travel, expressed a terrible aversion to it, expressed shock that I travel alone or have arrived to a place alone.
Actually, this is not how statistics work (works?).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL,EK
I'm American and have traveled extensively solo. I spent the summers during high school wandering around Asia by myself (parents worked for an airline). As an adult, I spent solo time in the Middle East and Caucasus, but now mostly travel with my wife. We still go weird places. Our last big trips were Cuba and Somaliland.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I like company on leisure trips. But I don't have a "gripping fear" of doing it myself.

I prefer business travel alone hands down. Particularly internationally.
Exact same here. I don't like vacationing alone but "fear" has nothing to do with it. I just am not someone who likes to strike up conversation with random strangers so I prefer bringing company with me rather than hoping to find it where I'm going. But business travel is orders of magnitude better when you're alone, no matter where you are going.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
...I just am not someone who likes to strike up conversation with random strangers so I prefer bringing company with me rather than hoping to find it where I'm going...
Keep in mind that many solo travelers aren't looking to find company where they're going. They're going to see new things, try new food, etc. - not necessarily to have meaningful conversations with strangers (although some people like that sort of thing). I can have a perfectly enjoyable trip without speaking to anyone other than hotel staff and waiters.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

k374, male millennials?

traveling where?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond
If you see a solo traveler and you don't hear them speak, how do you know they are American? Sounds like the OP's sample technique might be biased.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by k374
Talking to various people I find that Americans have a gripping fear of travel alone.. why? I notice most solo travelers abroad are mostly non American.
I call Bulltink.

I am american and travel on my own a fair bit. By plane, by car, by train.

My englishh BFF however, wont come visit me in the USA when I am home- cuz she wont fly alone lol
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm so used to traveling alone for work (sometimes 140 flights/year) that I'm a fish out of water when I travel with others, including my own wife and kids.

I once got my typical tunnel vision while going through security at DEN. Put my stuff down, walked through the metal detector. TSA agent gave me a funny face and I asked what? He asked if that was my wife struggling to fold the stroller with baby in hand, also trying to manage our other child, diaper bag, etc. He said, "if you value your marriage, you might want to go back and help her." Thankfully my wife found the humor in this event, as did the TSA agent.
MiscMel70 and Coskigirl like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I'm American and have traveled extensively solo. I spent the summers during high school wandering around Asia by myself (parents worked for an airline). As an adult, I spent solo time in the Middle East and Caucasus, but now mostly travel with my wife. We still go weird places. Our last big trips were Cuba and Somaliland.
I was the same way. I'm from America but my father was born in Europe and stop mother was also and we have family throughout Europe. It was nothing to go and spend a summer bumming around by myself. I would see my family and check in once in awhile but almost none of my peers were able to do what I did. If I didn't go solo to many of my early trips, I wouldn't have been able to go! These days my partner travels with me and if a friend is traveling someplace I will meet them.

I certainly don't mind traveling solo anymore but I do like having someone to reminisce with about a great trip.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
"Gripped with fear" is a bit hyperbolic.

Americans are culturally not the most ardent travellers largely due to an isolationist world view, a U.S.-centric education system and varying degrees of international resentment toward their nation's global behavior.

They also have a skewed view on safety and security. They are horrified about the thought of visiting Johannesburg but think nothing about going to Detroit or St. Louis.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I'm American and also have been traveling extensively internationally by myself since I was in high school. As someone who has extensive experience in the Americas, Asia and Europe, my experience is that a very small proportion of my foreign acquaintances abroad have done a lot of leisure trips entirely as solo trips.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
They also have a skewed view on safety and security. They are horrified about the thought of visiting Johannesburg but think nothing about going to Detroit or St. Louis.
After I went to Johannesburg, the only thing my friends and family were horrified about was how much time I spent en route. "You were on airplanes for how long???"
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.