Airports That Allow Non-Flyers Access Past Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...on-flyers/amp/

Last edited by RRDD; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:21 am
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every domestic airport in Australia.
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It will interesting to see how this works out. As long as people don't show up to show 7-10a on Friday or Saturday,
providing a convenience to locals while increasing sales and lowering airport fees sounds like a good thing. The airport certainly has way more capacity than is being used.

Domestic Australian flights could soon face similar security restrictions to international services in the wake of an alleged terrorist plot to plant a bomb onto an Etihad flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi.
Also under consideration: allowing only people holding a valid boarding pass past the security gates at domestic airport terminals.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hmm. Conceptually, great, but I have questions:

(1) Why only on weekdays? Those are both the days I'm least likely to go to the mall and most likely to encounter business travelers in the queue at TSA checkpoints. The *only* times I'd want to use this - ever, really - are at night or on weekends. (I guess, theoretically, Black Friday could be an exception...but I don't really get too into BF anymore.)

(2) Is there free parking for the shoppers? Some sort of validation system? Or are people using transit to get to the airport? That would affect what what I might buy. If I'm riding a train to the airport (does one exist?), I'm probably not buying anything bulky or heavy. And paying for parking is a nonstarter - that's simply never going to happen.

(3) Really, what's in the Pittsburgh airport that I can't buy on Amazon or in an old-school brick-and-mortar mall? I've been through that airport twice in my life and don't remember anything except the Franco Harris statue. Definitely don't remember the shops.

(4) Will the check-in process detect my KTN and issue a Precheck pass?

I can see airport access being interesting in some of the European or Asian hubs, although even there I'm not sure how great the domestic terminals are.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Why only on weekdays? - Trial bases? Number of airport workers that can support?

Free parking for the shoppers? - No, but PIT has cheap parking. First hour free, 2nd hour not bad, all day for $8

Train to the airport (does one exist?) - No, but city buses are plentiful

What's in the Pittsburgh airport that I can't buy on Amazon or in an old-school brick-and-mortar mall? - Regular mall stuff for sale but the kids can also watch the airplanes.

Franco Harris statue - Still there, along with the George Washington statue and the T-rex statue

Definitely don't remember the shops - The PIT air mall was built when PIT used to be a hub. The mall is bigger than you would normally expect for an airport that is the 40th largest in the US.

KTN, Precheck? - Don't know
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Hmm. Conceptually, great, but I have questions...
I think this isn't really aimed at folks deciding, hey, let's go shop and dine at the airport. I think the target is people who are dropping off or picking up passengers, now they can go airside, spend more time with the traveler, and have some food and drink while they wait.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
The PIT airport mall was actually rather nice. Good prices and a lot of stores. Not letting people in, plus de-hubbing PIT pretty much killed it. Hopefully it will make at least a partial comeback with this change.

That said, there are always legitimate ways to go airside, through security of course, but without traveling. Not worth the hassle just to shop though.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
Who approached who when making this initiative happen? Did federal TSA approach PIT and tell them what was going to happen, or was this a PIT idea that got brought to TSA's attention?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
Who approached who when making this initiative happen? Did federal TSA approach PIT and tell them what was going to happen, or was this a PIT idea that got brought to TSA's attention?
The linked article makes it sound like this is something that the airport authority has been working on wearing the TSA down on for a couple of years. There is mention of a couple of previous "day pass" days which were successful that they were able to use as examples/leverage.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the Allegheny County Airport Authority, operator of the airport, has been working on this for quite a while. Back in 1992, it was one of the first to have a fully developed shopping mall within the airport, which was quite an investment. With USAir pulling out, traffic was greatl diminished and they've been looking for ways to generate traffic/drive revenue. There have been a couple of single day open-to-the-public events to show the feasibility. I do think they just wore TSA down over the years.

I suspect this will have to expand to weekends soon, as that's when the folks will really show up.

Some of the shops - Johnston & Murphy, PGA Shop, Metalsmiths Sterling Jewelry, Bottega dei Sapori Italian foods, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers, Brookstone, Desigual, Armani, Tumi, Harley Davidson, Hugo Boss - I'm not sure you can get all of these on Amazon. And Jewelry, clothes, shoes and other items still have an appeal to see/try in person.

Last edited by CPRich; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I would be interested to know, will TSA still collect the usual $5.60 per passenger screening fee? If so, who is paying it? I would guess either the airport authority or the stores themselves.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Looks like the FA's union doesn't like the idea.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...-99/ar-AAro1PB
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We have existing thread from TSS forums.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...on-flyers.html

Mods, thread closed request. Thank you.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That thread discusses one specific aspect of one specific airport. This thread has discussed (so far), types of shops available, parking availability, public transportation, etc. Feel free to focus on security in a specific security-forum discussion.

There's also a big red "Alert a moderator" button, which is much more effective at alerting a moderator.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Any other news at US airports to allowed non-ticketed passengers? PHX, FLL, MIA, MCO, LAX, HNL, ORD, JFK, LGA, EWR, LAS, SLC, DEN, HOU, IAH, MSY, ATL, RDU, CLT, SAV, JAX, TPA, RSW, EYW, PBI, SFO, SJC, SEA, PDX, BDL, MHT, BOS, PWM, BTV, SYR, BUF, ROC, ORF, RIC, DCA, IAD, BWI, CVG, CMH, CLE, DAY, ACY, TTN, DTW, MSP, MDW, MKE, FSD, DFW, ELP, ABQ, OGG, KOA, LIH, ITO, RDD, SAN, ONT, BUR, PSP, MRY, IDA, BOI, CPR, BIL, BZN, COS, TLH, PNS, VPS, ECP, BHM, HSV, JAN, JAC, MEM, BNA, TYS, TRI, CHS, GSP, CAE, and a few other airports, as well.

What do you think of it? Will they ever consider it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.