Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why do most airport long term parking lots have 30-day limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

just wondering... saw it again yesterday and figured I might as well find out the answer?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Local permitted land use by-laws and ordinances?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:46 pm

I just checked my nearest major airports online. Fort Lauderdale (FLL) doesn't list any limit. Miami International (MIA) shows 60 days. Tampa (TPA) says 45 days. And Orlando (MCO) is 60 days in the garage and 120 days in their economy lot.

If no one here knows, you might try contacting one or more airports and asking directly. If you're really curious, you might do that anyway. Primary sources are usually best.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suspect they need to define some cutoff so they can declare a vehicle as abandoned and have it removed. They may figure no one would accrue parking charges for over 30 days, or whatever they define as the limit.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some jurisdictions, people renting, for example B&B rooms or even hotel rooms, have tenant type protections (for example, against eviction without "due process" or rent control regulations) after 30 days. Perhaps parking a car in a rental spot over 30 days invokes some similar regulations.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect they need to define some cutoff so they can declare a vehicle as abandoned and have it removed. They may figure no one would accrue parking charges for over 30 days, or whatever they define as the limit.
What about pre-booked parking?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you're going to be gone longer than that, wouldn't you find somewhere else to store the car and just Uber to the airport?

Lots of storage places have 1-car garages and most will do pay-as-you-go (monthly) on a credit card. Whatever your city's cost per square foot of storage space is, I bet this is cheaper than 30 days in a long-term airport lot. Plus your car is inside and secure, not outside getting door-dinged by months of inconsiderate dbags parking next to you.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
I recall seeing a facebook article on revenge once of a guy buying a cheap car registering it in the ex's name, then parking it at the airport long term parking...the story being she was eventually chased down for massive parking fees...probably an urban legend or wishful thinking lol but maybe there's an example of such a thing that leads to those kind of rules....or a b grade crime show scenario of the body in the trunk left hidden in plain sight
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Las Vegas (LAS) has a maximum of 30 days. If one needs to park for a longer period, they just need to make arrangements with the parking office by phone.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dweeb007
I recall seeing a facebook article on revenge once of a guy buying a cheap car registering it in the ex's name, then parking it at the airport long term parking...the story being she was eventually chased down for massive parking fees...probably an urban legend or wishful thinking lol but maybe there's an example of such a thing that leads to those kind of rules....or a b grade crime show scenario of the body in the trunk left hidden in plain sight
I donated my last junky car to charity. Many months later, I got notified that it had been impounded. Turns out neither the charity nor the buyer they found had filed the appropriate paperwork.

Fortunately, I had filed my own notice of change of ownership with the state. I did that even though the charity told me it wasn't necessary. If I hadn't I'd probably just would have been able to give up the car. There weren't any outstanding fees. But, who knows what might have happened if it had been someplace like a airport parking lot.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:52 am

DIA and IAD, at least, will let you park your car for longer AS LONG AS you let them know that you'll be parking there longer than their posted "limit." Dulles doesn't have a max limit but says vehicles left longer than 45 days will be declared "abandoned" and removed at owners expense. But if you register your car with their parking office, they won't declare your car abandoned.

So think most airports just assume (perhaps correctly) that any vehicles left over 30 or 45 days are abandoned and they don't want them taking up space.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by maurene
DIA and IAD, at least, will let you park your car for longer AS LONG AS you let them know that you'll be parking there longer than their posted "limit." Dulles doesn't have a max limit but says vehicles left longer than 45 days will be declared "abandoned" and removed at owners expense. But if you register your car with their parking office, they won't declare your car abandoned.

So think most airports just assume (perhaps correctly) that any vehicles left over 30 or 45 days are abandoned and they don't want them taking up space.
In this case, I'd want to get some sort of written "proof" that the office had been notified.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by pinniped
If you're going to be gone longer than that, wouldn't you find somewhere else to store the car and just Uber to the airport?

Lots of storage places have 1-car garages and most will do pay-as-you-go (monthly) on a credit card. Whatever your city's cost per square foot of storage space is, I bet this is cheaper than 30 days in a long-term airport lot. Plus your car is inside and secure, not outside getting door-dinged by months of inconsiderate dbags parking next to you.
Back when parking at CVG was $2 a day -- 20 years ago -- I along with various family members would leave an old work car for months at a time.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
Except in areas where that isn't really an option. I used to live in a rural area where it was almost 100 miles to the nearest commercial airport, and the smaller city where the airport was located didn't have anywhere you could store cars in that manner.* If you needed to travel by air for a very long trip your alternatives were (a) find a good friend or relative to pay to drive you to and from the airport or (b) pay the airport parking fees. IME most people used the (a) but not everyone could. (Greyhound used to stop in the rural town many years ago but no longer did so.)

There are similar areas of the country where you face quite a haul to the nearest commercial airport and even that isn't necessarily in a city with a lot of options.

* There are of course storage facilities in that city, usually locker type places with a bit of space for cars, RVs, etc. as well. But my parents live there now and based on my father's experience getting a spot to store his antique car, there can be a long wait list just for space to open up, so planning on that for an occasional long trip wouldn't be realistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.