Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who do I flirt with to get an upgraded seat?

Who do I flirt with to get an upgraded seat?

Old Aug 19, 17, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Flirt with someone wealthy enough to buy you a business/first class ticket as a favor.
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:25 am

Well, that was a nice try :-D
Old Aug 26, 17, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
Flirt with someone wealthy enough to buy you a business/first class ticket as a favor.
Excellent, and accurate, answer.
Old Aug 28, 17, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
Unbelievable. If you want an upgraded seat, pay for it.
In fairness to the OP, there are still a few "travel strategy" sites / blogs / etc. out there that recommend the entirely obsolete gambit of dressing nice and being polite in order to land an unearned upgrade. Some people must still believe it.
Old Aug 29, 17, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow this discussion in TravelBuzz.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:26 am

Programs: WN A-List
Flirting, dressing up, being nice, showing up early or giving candies and chocolates to employees might have worked in the past. But it is no longer applicable in this age of technology and automation. I believe it is only a matter of time before most airport check-in and gate staff are replaced with machines. It will soon be the norm for you to tag your own bag, drop it into the system, board at automated gates with a biometric scan (no boarding pass) and get onboard with minimal airline staff interaction. Machines won't care how nice you are or how you dress. This trend of technology resulting in less human-to-human interaction is kind of unfortunate, but it is reality. Elite status or paying more money will be your best bet right now if you really want a premium seat.
Old Aug 30, 17, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
There was thread around about complimentary upgrades. But in my experience all of the ones I have gotten were because I was already a very frequent flyer on that airline and almost all were because they were overbooked in the class seat I was in and underbooked in a higher class compartment or because of flight disruptions. Most were computer generated before I had any interaction with the personnel from the airline.
Old Aug 30, 17, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happened exactly once to me. Going from Dublin to ORD with my dad in 2002, he gave the gate agent his most winning smile and asked her if there was a way we could sit together (I was in economy, he was in business). She gave us a look and hand wrote a boarding pass in business class for me.

Probably won't ever happen again to me.
Old Aug 30, 17, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
I've heard and read that you can be nice or talk to someone nicely to get a possible upgraded seat. I have a few questions
You have to flirt with the person who originally turned this stupid idea into an actual magazine article.

The problem is, she did it in about 1972 and everyone since is just a lazy writer phoning in a fluff travel story around the holiday season and ripping off the original. You gotta find the original. She probably 75 years old now, but I bet she's still totally hot.
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
I've heard and read that you can be nice or talk to someone nicely to get a possible upgraded seat. I have a few questions

1. Who do I talk to or have a better chance with? The person checking in my luggage and printing my boarding pass or the person working at the gate?

2. Would giving them a tip be a nice gesture just to thank them for working at such a late hour.. etc. etc..

3. Show up really early? - I would be thrown into nicer seats if no one booked them
Show up near boarding? - I would be thrown into nicer seats if they are open
Which is better?

Thank you in advance for any tips!
Nobody. It won't work like this, and hasn't worked like this since at least the mid 90's...even then it was a rare thing. If you want an upgrade today, you need to pay for it, or earn the miles. In rarer cases, you may get one due to an egregious customer service issue such as your seat mate assaulting you or an FA may do it to stick it to someone who poached your seat, or from blind luck..for example, you board to find your seat is broken and the only other remaining seat is in F or J.

Charming your way into it...not gonna happen.
Old Aug 30, 17, 10:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I think I only had a few where a person (as opposed to a computer) upgraded me. At least one of those were where I very politely but very specifically rebuked a United Club agent for United moving me from a preselected very good seat to a really crappy seat. They ended up moving me to first from upgraded business on NRT - JFK flight. But again, I was a 1K at the time.
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Airport or airline personnel may be confused if you flirt with them. If you take a Sharpie and write "RUBE" on your forehead you can relieve them of this uncertainty.
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I did have one occasion where we got an unusual upgrade, but it's been 20 years and almost certainly would never happen today.

I was flying with my mother from LGW to CLT on US. We were on separate PNRs, me on a paid Y seat with Gold status and her on an award with no status. We were both seated in the exit row because back then a Gold member could call a human agent and easily get a 2nd person on another PNR seated there.

So I drop her off at LGW to go return the rental car. Since she has 1 bag, I tell her to go ahead and check it if there's no line. Otherwise wait for me and we'll use the J line.

By the time I get back to the airport 20 minutes later, she's standing there...with an Envoy class BP!! Apparently she got to the counter agent and asked to confirm that I was sitting next to her. The agent said no, and my mom asked if she could have her seat changed to be next to mine.

It turns out I'd been given an operational upgrade. So the agent did a lovely thing and gave my mom one too. Truly a rarity...a no-status passenger getting an upgrade on a basic award ticket...but I don't think it involved any flirting.
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
"Do" a pilot.
Old Aug 31, 17, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Wahoo. I'm trying this next week.
You'd better hope you're not behind me in the check-in line.

Search this Thread