Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

how protective are you about privacy when travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

At the rental car counter the agent asked where I was staying. I answered "different hotels" in hopes he would get the hint. He persisted. "Which are you going to stay at first?"
I did not tell him. Did I overreact? He has no need to know (he says they like to know where the car will be).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
"I"m sorry. My corporate security team won't permit me to provide that information."

No, you didn't overreact.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"Where are you staying?"

"With your girlfriend."
Statman likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: none
You just gave them your personal identifying details, home, date of birth, Drivers License number, full credit card number, and a sample of your signature, etc. And you're worried about giving out the name of a hotel?
Loren Pechtel and MSPpete like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103
You just gave them your personal identifying details, home, date of birth, Drivers License number, full credit card number, and a sample of your signature, etc. And you're worried about giving out the name of a hotel?
The other stuff is on a form. Not spoken. I'm much more protective of information that is spoken in this context.

I would probably have used the answer I gave up stream (I blame a lot on corporate security) in this circumstance.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:59 pm

Was the agent Indian? I'm not trying to be rude here, just elucidating a possible cultural motive for the question.

If somebody asks me where I'm staying, and I don't want them to know, I'll just say I don't know, I haven't booked a place yet.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

No signature, no credit card. It is a direct bill.

No more information than necessary.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Was the agent Indian? I'm not trying to be rude here, just elucidating a possible cultural motive for the question.

If somebody asks me where I'm staying, and I don't want them to know, I'll just say I don't know, I haven't booked a place yet.
Nope. Agent was asking everybody that question. The people in front of me (the two I could hear) just answered it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davie355

Why not just tell the agent directly that it is none of his/her business?

Recently I've noticed hotel front desk clerks that ask aloud to verify my email address. I don't appreciate other random people standing around in the area being able to hear this. It's especially bad for those whose email address contains their name. Plus, how many hotel chain elites do not have the correct email address in their profiles? Shouldn't the hotel assume that my email address is unchanged from the last time I stayed at the property, which was only last week?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's impolite because the semantics of that answer lay blame on the agent.

If an unequivocal response is necessary, I'd go with, "It's private."
fppmongo likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: US Gold
In such situations I generally ask why they want to know. Sometime in the last six months I remember someone at a passport check desk at Heathrow asked me the normal run of security questions, and then followed up with something I hadn't been asked before (I forget what), and before answering, I asked her, "Is this part of the security routine or are we just chatting now?" Of course, technically you should always assume that anything you say in those circumstances may be noted, but it still seemed worth asking. She said it was just chatting, I answered her question and the conversation ended pleasantly.

wg
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:54 am

If I was asked this question, my first concern would be that they were trying to sell me accommodation. In my opinion, asking them why they are asking the question, as recommended by WendyG, is a good response.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Then they contact hotel snd say.... lost my wallet can you charge dinner to me or some other scam
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Recently I've noticed hotel front desk clerks that ask aloud to verify my email address. I don't appreciate other random people standing around in the area being able to hear this. It's especially bad for those whose email address contains their name. Plus, how many hotel chain elites do not have the correct email address in their profiles? Shouldn't the hotel assume that my email address is unchanged from the last time I stayed at the property, which was only last week?
This. All the information they need is on the reservation...

I can't remember the last time I had to stop at the counter, but my response to such a question would be exactly as above.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Unnecessary requests for information while traveling drive me mad. "Are you traveling for business or leisure?" is a favorite; unless it affects taxation (apparently the case in Berlin or a limited few other cities), it's none of the hotel's business.

The one that really, really got me was recently at the Delta Sky Club in Seattle; to take a shower, the operators of the spa asked me for my phone number. I protested strongly, and they insisted it was only so they could contact me if an item was lost or left behind. That seemed reasonable, so I acquiesced - only to receive text message spam with surveys and marketing information a few days later. I was furious at being lied to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.