Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

how protective are you about privacy when travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how protective are you about privacy when travelling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I also carefully use my NEXUS card or passport exclusively as my photo ID when traveling. My drivers' license has my home address on it, and from a safety/security perspective, potentially unscrupulous TSA/airline employees have no business seeing my street address when they know I'm about to go out of town for a few days!
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Since I figure they are just asking to pass time while information loads I'll usually just answer the question(unless its something out of left field).

Odds are nobody will hear nor care when I tell them that I'm staying at the Hilton.

I'd bet that in most cases they don't really want to ask and you don't really want them to ask but its probably something they are told to do.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:45 am

I just say that I am staying at an Airbnb.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA
The one that really, really got me was recently at the Delta Sky Club in Seattle; to take a shower, the operators of the spa asked me for my phone number. I protested strongly, and they insisted it was only so they could contact me if an item was lost or left behind. That seemed reasonable, so I acquiesced - only to receive text message spam with surveys and marketing information a few days later. I was furious at being lied to...
This is one of my pet peeves as well. I have several different phone numbers, including one for an old MagickJack. The MJ one does not ring in my home and callers go straight to voicemail which, of course, gets forwarded by MJ to my email address. I use that one for anyone who has, in my opinion, no legitimate need for my telephone number, e.g. vendors, customer service people, etc. It works great. I'm never bothered by calls to that number, I can tell by a glance at the email whether I want to listen to the message and I can decide if I want to call back or not.

I recommend doing this for everyone. An MJ costs, I think, around $40 with one year of service, and then it's $30/year or so after that. For a couple of bucks a month, you can insulate yourself from most telemarketers and other nuisances.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:38 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Rental car agents often seem to ask where you're staying. I suspect it's some kind of throwback to see if you're going to run up miles on the car or something. I just tell them I don't know yet and they move on.
As far as phone numbers, if I judge that the requester has no need for my number, I give them an old one from a previous address. That's what I did to register for the Walgreen's discount card. Last time I went there, I told them my (15-year-old) phone number and they said "Ron?" I hesitated for a moment, then said "Yes, yes I am."* I don't know if people look up records of what they buy there, but if they do, I suspect Ron is wondering how he bought a quart of orange juice across the country from where he lives.

*My name isn't Ron
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unnecessary requests for information while traveling drive me mad. "Are you traveling for business or leisure?" is a favorite; unless it affects taxation (apparently the case in Berlin or a limited few other cities), it's none of the hotel's business.

The one that really, really got me was recently at the Delta Sky Club in Seattle; to take a shower, the operators of the spa asked me for my phone number. I protested strongly, and they insisted it was only so they could contact me if an item was lost or left behind. That seemed reasonable, so I acquiesced - only to receive text message spam with surveys and marketing information a few days later. I was furious at being lied to...
I've noticed that Hertz asks the business or leisure question when you attempt to book a rental car on their website and generally won't let you proceed until you give an answer. Unfortunately, neither "both" nor "none of your business" are possible responses.

I can only speculate that saying leisure results in lower rates.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've noticed that Hertz asks the business or leisure question when you attempt to book a rental car on their website and generally won't let you proceed until you give an answer. Unfortunately, neither "both" nor "none of your business" are possible responses.

I can only speculate that saying leisure results in lower rates.
I think the answer is "it depends" to the rates being lower. In the specific case of Hertz's (awful) web site, that question seems to be there to determine how the CDP you select is handled. If you say you are traveling on business, Hertz quotes you the rate from your CDP no matter what (presumably to enforce terms of corporate contracts). If you travel on leisure, you're presented with the option to limit the search to the CDP only (the same behavior as 'business') or to do a broader search that includes open-market rates.

Since there are some benefits to certain CDPs that aren't just related to price (waived underage driver fees, included or blocked insurance, pay-later vs. pay-in-advance), I do suppose this makes a bit of sense.

Avis does it much better, though - they just ask if you want only your CDP quoted, or to see all possible rates. One of many reasons they're my preferred car rental provider.

I can at least see a rationale for the Hertz web site question. I'm a lot less tolerant of it when the question is asked in an environment where corporate discounts are irrelevant, like check in at a hotel, though...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
This is one of my pet peeves as well. I have several different phone numbers, including one for an old MagickJack. The MJ one does not ring in my home and callers go straight to voicemail which, of course, gets forwarded by MJ to my email address. I use that one for anyone who has, in my opinion, no legitimate need for my telephone number, e.g. vendors, customer service people, etc. It works great. I'm never bothered by calls to that number, I can tell by a glance at the email whether I want to listen to the message and I can decide if I want to call back or not.

I recommend doing this for everyone. An MJ costs, I think, around $40 with one year of service, and then it's $30/year or so after that. For a couple of bucks a month, you can insulate yourself from most telemarketers and other nuisances.
A free Google Voice number can accomplish something similar as well, and is my usual solution to this problem... ^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
"I'll be sleeping in your car. Thanks."
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A free Google Voice number can accomplish something similar as well, and is my usual solution to this problem... ^
Good point! I have three GV numbers that I use a trunks on my PBX (2 for me, one for my wife). I run the MJ through the PBX, as well, but that requires some extra hardware.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Unnecessary requests for information while traveling drive me mad. "Are you traveling for business or leisure?" is a favorite; unless it affects taxation (apparently the case in Berlin or a limited few other cities), it's none of the hotel's business.

I was suckered into my phone number as well by the DL's contracted spa attendant. I then received two spam SMS overseas.
Whenever I ask for a shower at DL SEA SC and am asked for my phone number I tell them what happened to me the last time I gave them my contact number, usually at a volume to be heard by others.
Once the receptionist talked back and claimed that they don't I pulled up that SMS and showed her and the other SC patrons behind me in line.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by tentseller

I was suckered into my phone number as well by the DL's contracted spa attendant. I then received two spam SMS overseas.
Whenever I ask for a shower at DL SEA SC and am asked for my phone number I tell them what happened to me the last time I gave them my contact number, usually at a volume to be heard by others.
Once the receptionist talked back and claimed that they don't I pulled up that SMS and showed her and the other SC patrons behind me in line.
I'm sure they were as interested in seeing that text as she was. I think a simple "no" and moving on would be quicker than making a scene.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the answer is "it depends" to the rates being lower. In the specific case of Hertz's (awful) web site, that question seems to be there to determine how the CDP you select is handled. If you say you are traveling on business, Hertz quotes you the rate from your CDP no matter what (presumably to enforce terms of corporate contracts). If you travel on leisure, you're presented with the option to limit the search to the CDP only (the same behavior as 'business') or to do a broader search that includes open-market rates.

Since there are some benefits to certain CDPs that aren't just related to price (waived underage driver fees, included or blocked insurance, pay-later vs. pay-in-advance), I do suppose this makes a bit of sense.

Avis does it much better, though - they just ask if you want only your CDP quoted, or to see all possible rates. One of many reasons they're my preferred car rental provider.

I can at least see a rationale for the Hertz web site question. I'm a lot less tolerant of it when the question is asked in an environment where corporate discounts are irrelevant, like check in at a hotel, though...
Are you sure?

Some hotel rates, including those for employees or friends and family, are restricted to leisure travel, while other rates such as some corporate rates, require business travel.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:07 pm

I agree with the OP, and would not be happy to give such information. A number of years ago, Enterprise kept asking for my work's phone number. I can't think of a reason I would ever want them contacting my office.

On a somewhat related note, there is a good trick for stores that allow you to look up your frequent purchaser account with a phone number, if you don't have an account. Just say 867-5309 (from the song). There is almost always an account with that number in your area code. You get the discounts and keep your privacy.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
650-543-4800

This is Facebook's main number. I think it's fair game for anyone with a Facebook account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.