Reload this Page >

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:22 pm

I'm flying to Denver this weekend to meet my brother and friends and we're heading to Casper WY to view it. We're staying at relatives of the friends...who are still charging us an arm and a leg.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Xlr
Any suggestions on last-minute bookings? Willing to fly anywhere domestically, Kansas City looks reasonably affordable but wondering if there are any others. I already have my eclipse glasses

Word on the street here is that Oregon is going to be nuts.
Expecting a lot of visitors here in JAC, too, but if you can get a flight here, you're already in the path of totality and won't miss it no matter what!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I am content watching 92% coverage vs totalility. I have a friend that left today for Nebraska (we live in Denver). They have a hotel for today through Sunday but not on Monday. They plan on sleeping in their car (yuck). The do have food, water and other supplies. I am glad I am not back in my homestate of Oregon. It will be beyond crazy.

Edited to add: I have 2 sets of the eclipse glasses. One for myself and one to cover the lense of my smartphone.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Flying to Nashville Sunday and currently planning on driving out to a friend's family farm Monday morning. Even though it's a two hour drive under normal circumstances it sounds like I should probably leave a lot earlier. Is 7am too early to leave from Nashville? I'd be driving on I-40 almost the whole way.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Flying BOS>SFO>EUG as I type this! My cousin and her family live in tiny Adair Village, OR, smack dab in the path of totality.

Only issue I anticipate will be getting back to EUG for my flight home immediately afterward, though I'm hoping most of the traffic is instead headed north to PDX. Had no choice but to fly back Monday afternoon to position for a TATL trip starting Wednesday. Here's hoping I don't have to test out UA's SDC policy....
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
The High School I teach at is in the area of totality. It is in an eastern suburb of Nashville. I think we will be outside for some period leading up to and then after the total eclipse. I would rather have it off and sit on my deck in shorts having a cold eclipse martini instead of making sure 35 teenagers don't stare at it without their glasses. Many school systems in the Nashville Metropolitan area are closing for the day, but our system has decided (so far) to remain open. Should be an interesting day.
I'm sorry, schools are closing for the day? Why??

Good heavens. The eclipse will last just a couple of minutes. How are they justifying this?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by CBear

Good heavens. The eclipse will last just a couple of minutes. How are they justifying this?
Traffic and travel will turn some of the larger cities in the path of totality into absolute zoos. Nashville, for example, is having a daylong festival with attendance that could number in the hundreds of thousands.

I'm also curious why the notion offends? As with a snow day, they'll just make it up at the end of the school year.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by tmiw
Flying to Nashville Sunday and currently planning on driving out to a friend's family farm Monday morning. Even though it's a two hour drive under normal circumstances it sounds like I should probably leave a lot earlier. Is 7am too early to leave from Nashville? I'd be driving on I-40 almost the whole way.
Traffic will be hard to predict, but I imagine north-south traffic would be worse than east-west in Tennessee. Still, I'd err on the side of caution. Also depends on where in Nashville you will be Sunday evening for your drive Monday morning. Don't know about the morning rush, but local media are predicting a post eclipse rush hour that could make the evening commute something that lasts several hours.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I don't understand the hype or why people are willing to drop everything in the middle of a work week to see something so inconsequential.

In either case, the next total eclipse visible from the US is not that far away and the path goes right through my state. I'll probably a) just wait for that and b) get really pissed off at the tourists (more so than usual).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CBear

Its been a passionate argument here. I can see both sides. While the totality is 2 minutes, the actual eclipse is a few hours in the afternoon. Its pretty crazy traffic when the schools let out on a normal day around here. I think the parents are worried about the younger kids stuck on school busses in 95 degree heat with gridlock. Others are concerned that one teacher will not be able to keep 35 kids from taking their glasses off and hurting their vision. Especially younger kids.

As for me, I will never complain about a day off, but I also think it will be fun to enjoy something this amazing with my students. I predict I will be awestruck. And that is a good thing. i will let you know.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Traffic and travel will turn some of the larger cities in the path of totality into absolute zoos. Nashville, for example, is having a daylong festival with attendance that could number in the hundreds of thousands.

I'm also curious why the notion offends? As with a snow day, they'll just make it up at the end of the school year.
I'm not offended, but unexpected school closures place a massive burden on all the parents who have to work and now have to scramble for alternative care. It's always fun to use leave because you can't find care for you kid.....not!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:04 pm

Our school system planned in advance, starting school two days early to compensate for taking Monday off. They have given all the kids eclipse glasses, and spent Friday teaching them about it in science classes. Part of the rationale for giving the day off is that teachers and bus drivers couldn't be responsible for having every kid keep the glasses on. We are in a 98% area, not close enough for full darkness but close enough that kids would likely look up. I'm honestly more worried about my parents and other older people around here who wouldn't be bothered to get the glasses but then can't resist the urge to look.

We are thinking about driving north, what would usually be about 2 hours we are allowing 3, and then 5 for the drive home. Packing books and snacks, thinking about it as a long drive to somewhere as opposed to a short drive clogged with traffic. If we didn't head out in the car then my kid would likely stay inside and play video games and miss the whole thing anyway!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by tmiw
I think driving east or west on I-40 at 7 am should (should) give you plenty of time to reach a destination two hours away.

Having said that, I live in the greater Nashville area. We ran by a Target today that's located near an interstate exit. I have NEVER seen so many out of state license plates in that parking lot, and people in nearby stores were already saying that they love the extra business but it's been insane this weekend with visitors here for the eclipse.

The weather should be hot & humid here on Monday. Take bottled water and sunscreen with you in the car, just in case you get stuck somewhere along the way.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:42 am

I was seeing the 2016 solar eclipse in the island of Belitung, Indonesia. quite coincidence and massive help that day was also a national holiday. I think it was the Nyepi day of the Hindus. If it's on workday, I'd take a leave anyway. So kudos for the employer/policymaker who gave the day off for the solar eclipse. Hoping for nice weather for you guys in America.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:06 am

I'm in the path of totality, and will be viewing it at a local event that is across the street from my place!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.