Reload this Page >

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by an_asker
I am curious if anyone else is going anywhere?
You probably haven't checked out the DO thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-planning.html
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ijkh
We will be at an event held at Oregon State University in Corvallis. It is a two day celebration of all things eclipse with a giant watch party. We are staying in the dorms and going to eclipse fun activities. The whole thing is sponsored by NASA. It should be fun.

Any bets on how long it will take us to make our way home to Portland? For bonus points I have to pick my mom up at PDX around 9:30 pm. Good times on I-5. Wish us luck.
We're staying in Albany and trying to make it back to Canada by midnight. Wish me luck, too. :P
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:57 am

Yes, my partner (who loves road trips) and I just decided yesterday we'd drive from New York City. Because of work schedules we have to leave Sunday afternoon and be home by early Tuesday afternoon. I was amazed to find a hotel for a decent price in Hickory, North Carolina, for Sunday, as well as more-reasonable-than-usual car-rental prices right out of midtown Manhattan. All cancelable until Saturday night if the weather looks bad.

Hoping I-81 won't be jammed Sunday afternoon, and we'll get an early start Monday to get to somewhere near Spartanburg, probably.

Seth
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by sethweinstein

Hoping I-81 won't be jammed Sunday afternoon, and we'll get an early start Monday to get to somewhere near Spartanburg, probably.

Seth
Suggest you make it a very early start, it's expected that interstates heading into the path of totality will be extremely packed on Monday morning.

We're staying at a hotel in Columbia Sunday night, my big concern is the northbound traffic on I-95 right after the eclipse as we make our way back to Virginia!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Going to drive down to John Day in Eastern Oregon to catch the eclipse with the cremains of a friend who desperately want to see it with me... but couldn't make it.

After that I'm going to take him to Northern Nevada to visit 70,000 of my closest friends and family at a reunion.
I live in Ohio, but am flying to my parents in tiny-town Oregon. We are camping just within the path of totality, but I am hoping to watch from the Sheeprock Unit of John Day National Monument, near the center line. It will depend on how traffic is though! ... I'd LOVE to watch from the Painted Hills Unit (I bet those hills would have some even more interesting colors in the changing light), but that is a really long drive from us, even in the best of traffic conditions.

I cannot wait!!!!!!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Suggest you make it a very early start, it's expected that interstates heading into the path of totality will be extremely packed on Monday morning.

We're staying at a hotel in Columbia Sunday night, my big concern is the northbound traffic on I-95 right after the eclipse as we make our way back to Virginia!
Thanks -- we will. Good luck and happy viewing!

Seth
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We're headed to St. Joseph, MO. 2 minutes and 20-ish seconds of totality.

Driving up Sunday. Acquiring all necessary provisions for human survival (meat, beer, and charcoal) in Kansas City.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
We're driving from Boston and have settled more or less on the Knoxville area at this point, seeing as there is a greater risk of storms on the coast. We now have a couple of cancellable hotel reservations, and have been watching availability via the scrollable map on Hotels.com over the past 24 hours for something better. It looks like rooms are popping up as we approach cancellation deadlines for those willing to pounce, and some of those rooms (at least in SPG and Marriott) are being released as standard room awards. Saw 20k points in lieu of a $550 cash rate at a Courtyard off I-40 show up this morning, though I couldn't jump on it because we really need two beds...

Last edited by lonelycrowd; Aug 17, 2017 at 9:24 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
We've driving from Boston and have settled more or less on the Knoxville area at this point, seeing as there is a greater risk of storms on the coast. We now have a couple of cancellable hotel reservations, and have been watching availability via the scrollable map on Hotels.com over the past 24 hours for something better. It looks like rooms are popping up as we approach cancellation deadlines for those willing to pounce, and some of those rooms (at least in SPG and Marriott) are being released as standard room awards. Saw 20k points in lieu of a $550 cash rate at a Courtyard off I-40 show up this morning, though I couldn't jump on it because we really need two beds...
I've never gotten this much value out of rewards points as right now lol. Best Western has some hilarious pricing too:

You can outright BUY BW Rewards points for 0.01c/point.

so 36000 points = 360 USD.

You save so much money even without having the points already.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Good thing that rate includes breakfast.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:38 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Any suggestions on last-minute bookings? Willing to fly anywhere domestically, Kansas City looks reasonably affordable but wondering if there are any others. I already have my eclipse glasses

Word on the street here is that Oregon is going to be nuts.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I'm going to stay at home in Portland!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
We're headed to St. Joseph, MO. 2 minutes and 20-ish seconds of totality.

Driving up Sunday. Acquiring all necessary provisions for human survival (meat, beer, and charcoal) in Kansas City.
I'm also driving up Sunday from KC to St. Joseph. Reading that traffic will be pretty bad... What time are you leaving KC on Sunday?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Heading to Charleston SC with my son to see it

I know there is a risk of cloud, but it's a beautiful town

Part of a 10 day trip...

MAN>DUB>JFK>EWR>ORD>CHS>IAD>EWR>JFK>DUB>MAN

Combination of Aer Lingus & United ^
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by thatguy47
I'm also driving up Sunday from KC to St. Joseph. Reading that traffic will be pretty bad... What time are you leaving KC on Sunday?
Thinking around noon... Haven't decided for sure. Hopefully won't be too insane that early...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.