Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frequent Flyers, What's a Business/Service you wish existed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyers, What's a Business/Service you wish existed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I wish all airports had a completely separate frequent flyer terminal, similar to the set-up at the old Doha airport (though I think this was only for premium cabin). I'm talking about a completely separate building with its own drop-off, check-in, security, shopping, and lounges. It would have a spacious vehicle that takes you from the lounge directly to the aircraft exactly at the right time to board. You never have to fight crowds or travel newbies. Just a seamless experience that takes away all the annoyances from regular travel for someone who has to fight that mess on a weekly basis.

I know this already exists for super expensive international first class travel on some airlines. I'm talking about something not necessarily for premium travel, but for frequent travelers (i.e. those with airline status) who know the routines and just want something quiet and seamless.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by simmang
I wish all airports had a completely separate frequent flyer terminal, similar to the set-up at the old Doha airport (though I think this was only for premium cabin). I'm talking about a completely separate building with its own drop-off, check-in, security, shopping, and lounges. It would have a spacious vehicle that takes you from the lounge directly to the aircraft exactly at the right time to board. You never have to fight crowds or travel newbies. Just a seamless experience that takes away all the annoyances from regular travel for someone who has to fight that mess on a weekly basis.

I know this already exists for super expensive international first class travel on some airlines. I'm talking about something not necessarily for premium travel, but for frequent travelers (i.e. those with airline status) who know the routines and just want something quiet and seamless.
Well, there's this at LAX...
At LAX's new private terminal, the rich are pampered while normal people suffer

The pricing in the article sounds about right for what it would take to make this work.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:32 am
Suspended

An app for rescheduling flights and booking hotels during IRROPS, so I don't have to line up or deal with a human. It should know your flight, your itinerary, and kick you options with just a click, and done.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Cheap, self-service luggage storage at every airport.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by simmang

This would never, ever work, but I always wish for some sort of 'experienced traveler' lane. Kind of like Pre-check, but with consequences. If you screw up you're out for some time. Forget to take that water bottle out of your bag? Six months no access. etc.

Just to speed it all up for those of us who could be through any of the lines in seconds, if not for that person who somehow doesn't know pre-check does not require shoes off, belt off, etc
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo2bos
This would never, ever work, but I always wish for some sort of 'experienced traveler' lane. Kind of like Pre-check, but with consequences. If you screw up you're out for some time.
I saw it at TSA checkpoints briefly where they had green dots/blue squares/black diamonds like ski areas, but it didn't seem to have any real effect. There was no penalty like marking your lift ticket or anything.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Terminal return services for airports whose rental car center is far away (via shuttle or something), for those times you have luggage and do not want to have to get to the airport half or one hour earlier because how long it takes to get to the terminal after dropping off the car
I'd expand this idea to a general valet service for rental cars. Make the terminal a virtual car rental lot. I know Hertz will sometimes drive you back to the terminal in the car your returning, so you can just unload your bags once and avoid the shuttle. But why make you drive back to the rental lot?

Wouldn't it be nice to just drive up to the terminal and have the rental agent meet you there with the handheld device, process the return right there; you go into the terminal and they drive the car back to the lot. And the same on arrival, imagine the agent meets you curbside with your car and just hands you your keys.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
God yes.

Related: pay $15 for you to guarantee you'll pull my bag off the carousel. I rarely check a bag voluntarily when traveling alone, but I make a habit of, erm, cutting things short at the gate When I have to gate-check my bag, and I want to spend time working in the lounge at the other end before hotel is ready, I'd really love a guarantee (and a notification) that the carrier has my bag safely tucked away.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Table tennis, cricket nets, five a side football pitch, badminton or squash courts.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Extending on the luggage idea, I'd love a service that took my checked bags directly from the airline to my hotel.

I land in the morning, leave the airport, go about my day, and bags are at my hotel within 3-4 hours. With the advent of hotel digital key processes, the bags could even be in my hotel room before I get there.

Similar to what Disney does with their own hotels in Orlando. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for a 3rd party company to get an agreement to do this with a few major airlines and a few major hotel brands. The traveler could buy it as an add-on, or the hotel could include it as part of a package rate.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, and I'd love to find a reputable travel agent that can actually book ITA fares, but that's more of a right-now irritation than anything else.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by pinniped
Extending on the luggage idea, I'd love a service that took my checked bags directly from the airline to my hotel.

I land in the morning, leave the airport, go about my day, and bags are at my hotel within 3-4 hours. With the advent of hotel digital key processes, the bags could even be in my hotel room before I get there.

Similar to what Disney does with their own hotels in Orlando. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for a 3rd party company to get an agreement to do this with a few major airlines and a few major hotel brands. The traveler could buy it as an add-on, or the hotel could include it as part of a package rate.
My experience with this service in Vegas is that the luggage arrives at the guestroom about 5 hours after landing.
The bag was always 30 minutes away from being delivered.
Hmm, what's there for me to do while I'm at my hotel room in Vegas waiting for my luggage to be delivered?

So, yes, I love your idea, but I've seen it implemented once, and it was specifically designed to exploit the goodwill of the customer.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:40 am

I'd probably use it for trips where 5 hours wouldn't be an issue. So I wouldn't book it on an evening arrival, but totally would on a morning one.

If the service was advertising faster and promising "it's just 30 minutes away", then yeah, that's bad on them.

Its greatest utility for me would be in Europe, and I suppose it gets problematic with customs. Perhaps there a simpler service would work: I have to walk it through customs, but then I can recheck it in to a service that takes it to my hotel room. So if I land at LHR at 9AM, I can then jump on the HEX without a bag and go about my day (without a side trip to the hotel), knowing the bag will be in my room at 4PM or whenever.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I used self-service luggage lockers at LAX several times back before everything changed on 9/11 and they were subsequently deemed a security risk and torn out. Anytime I had a connection at least long enough to sit down for a meal or even a drink or two, it felt... civilized... to lock up my bag near the gate and not have to drag it back and forth across the terminal and seat it across the table from me like a sullen child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.