Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you keep track of your airports?

Do you keep track of your airports?

Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I use Jetlovers.com The nice thing is that the inputting of new flights is automated, so you just check in on facebook and the flight will show up a few days later. You can then input the flight number and they'll usually pull up the plane registration / type etc. Here is my map:

http://www.jetlovers.com/profile/18403/
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
The smallest airport? Kruger National Park, South Africa. The terminal was about the size of my living room.
You must have a really huge living room or it was many years ago that you were there. Kruger NP airport is many times bigger than my house. It is not even close to my smallest airport visited -- Sedona, AZ, more than 30 years ago.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by steveo
I use Jetlovers.com The nice thing is that the inputting of new flights is automated, so you just check in on facebook and the flight will show up a few days later. You can then input the flight number and they'll usually pull up the plane registration / type etc. Here is my map:

Originally Posted by SpartyAir
You must have a really huge living room or it was many years ago that you were there. Kruger NP airport is many times bigger than my house. It is not even close to my smallest airport visited -- Sedona, AZ, more than 30 years ago.
Well, Kruger NP airport is 7000 sq m in floor size. I'm pretty sure that some billionaire out there has a larger living room.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I am just over 100 but when I think of it, I am disturbed that I am missing some!

In the US, I am missing Hartford/Springfield, Austin, and Providence, among the disturbing ones. Not too sad that I am also missing Fargo, Jacksonville FL, Syracuse, Palm Springs, Boise, and Richmond VA.

Internationally, I have major gaps including
Europe: FCO, HEL, ATH
Middle East: DXB, AUH
Africa: CPT
Asia: PVG, PEK, KIX
South America: GRU, EZE
North America: YUL, YYC
Australia: PER
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
https://my.flightradar24.com/ilpastorfido

This says it all I guess!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by leungy18
Well, Kruger NP airport is 7000 sq m in floor size. I'm pretty sure that some billionaire out there has a larger living room.
7000 sq m is 75,347 sq. ft. for us Americans. My house is 2,340 sq. ft., so that makes K. N. P. airport 32 times the size of my house. That's a pretty good size for a small town airport and would be a pretty outrageous living room. I can think of several airports that are smaller. The Beverly Hillbillies mansion is up for sale in LA and it is said to be the most expensive mansion in the US. It is listed at 25,000 sq. ft.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: gate lice
7000 sq m is 75,347 sq. ft. for us Americans. My house is 2,340 sq. ft., so that makes K. N. P. airport 32 times the size of my house. That's a pretty good size for a small town airport and would be a pretty outrageous living room. I can think of several airports that are smaller. The Beverly Hillbillies mansion is up for sale in LA and it is said to be the most expensive mansion in the US. It is listed at 25,000 sq. ft.
It's in Bel Air. Of course 25,000 sq.ft. is going to go for a ridiculous $350 million. I'm willing to bet that a 25,000 sq.ft. mansion goes for less than $10 million if you dump it in Arkansas or Ohio or something.

There's an Indian guy who built a $2 billion, 27-floor skyscraper as his personal residence. It's around 400k sq.ft. I think. I'll concede that there probably isn't a living room that's bigger than K.N.P. airport, but there are homes that are bigger than 25k sq.ft.

I'd love a living room the size of an airport. Maybe I'll build an artificial river through it and canoe my way into the kitchen.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:37 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by steveo

For flightmemory, all you have to do is refresh the stats, and then the flight will appear. Waiting a few days sounds unnecessarily lengthy.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: QFF
I'm at 70 airports in 23 countries since 2005.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Only to the extent that I will actively avoid certain ones. DEN for example..I will fly to COS when I can just to avoid DEN, even if I have business in Denver. It's a 45 minute drive from Co Springs to Denver..but then it's about the same from DEN to downtown anyway. DEN shouldn't be properly called Denver Airport, not being in Denver after all.
Ahh, but it is in Denver... Denver City annexed the land before the airport was built. The entire trip from downtown to the airport stays within Denver City limits (except for a short distance on I-70 between I-225 and Pena Blvd, which is in Aurora). Coming from the east coast, I usually end up flying into Denver (rather than COS, which is my destination) due to price and flight convenience. The only time recently I've found it cheaper to fly into COS vs. Denver is Spring Break times...

I avoid MCO like the plague..because with all those kids and families running around I feel like I might actually catch the plague. The Kettle level at MCO is off the charts. The musical chairs with seating, the hundreds of family pre-boards per flight, the screaming babies. I fly to TPA and drive.
I'll throw another alternate in there to MCO (especially if you're along the coast): MLB - Melbourne is a nice quiet airport, granted not a lot of amenities, but easy in/easy out.

I also favor secondary airports whenever possible. MDW instead of ORD, SNA or BUR instead of LAX. The exception is LGW...I would rather be at LHR! LGW is a high pressure filth-hole.
If you get the opportunity - consider flying through LCY - London City, IMHO, was a breeze to fly through (only where feasible), but my bag beat me to baggage claim, and we were off the plane in minutes of pulling up to the gate.

Jim
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Yup. 1984. Not surprised it's expanded since then!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jrl767
it's gonna take a LOOOOOOOONG time to manually enter 2500+ flights
I don't keep track of every flight, just add each airport to my list the first time I visit as a passenger. I also don't track airplane types. I do have a list of airlines, which may be incomplete because of the ones way in the past that have gone out of business. I'm at 33 airlines right now.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:17 pm

use jetlovers.com to keep track of all your flights

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
Anyone besides me keep a list of the airports you've traveled through?

At some point (probably around the time I retired and had time on my hands) I decided to make a list of all the airports Ive traversed as a passenger. Since I didnt travel that much in my younger days, I was able to recreate a historical list and since then Ive added to it.

The list includes all 6 flyable continents (I have been to Antarctica, but by ship), and almost all major U.S. airports. (Of the top 20 US busiest, Ive missed just 3 - Las Vegas, SEATAC, and Orlando).

I included (though maybe I shouldnt) several where the plane stopped but I didnt deplane - (Baton Rouge, Cleveland, Monrovia, Maui, Oakland, Pueblo CO).

I didnt include recreational flights that werent based on an actual airport property (Queenstown NZ, Talkeetna AK, Homer AK)

The smallest airport? Kruger National Park, South Africa. The terminal was about the size of my living room.

My current total is 109 and I will add 2 more (Athens, Omaha) this year.
Hi.

You can just use jetlovers.com to keep track of all your flights, seats, aircraft, class of service, miles and airports, etc...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
No I don't keep any records.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Smile Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by CyBeR
FlightMemory is, however, pretty terrible website-wise and seems to exist mostly to sell you posters. If posters don't interest you, FlightRadar24 has a better service called My FlightRadar24 (which used to be flightdiary): http://my.flightradar24.com
Thanks for posting this. Still working on stuff but just finished capturing data going back 67 years. Only 82 flights covering 119,350 miles, primarily Europe, Asia, N&S America. Lots more to post, primarily between UK and Ireland a few times a month from 1959 to 1966. Pity we can't all share this info!

Only problem I've found with the site is missing aircraft types.

The first passenger jetliner in the world, the DeHavilland Comet 4B and 4C are two entirely different aircraft in that the 4C is the long haul version with the huge fuel pods on the wings.

The VC10 also had two versions!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.