Wiki Posts
Search

Help finish my RTW trip in June-July 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Help finish my RTW trip in June-July 2018

I am retiring 01/01/18!😊 I have booked most of my flights but can't decide what to do for the final leg. Here is what I have booked:
SAV - LAX DL J/F 4 days in LA
LAX - HKG CX F 4 days Hong Kong
HHG - BKK CX J 10 days in Thailand going to Chiang Mai & Ankor Wat in Cambodia
BKK - MUC TG F
Probably 10 days in Europe so for my final leg I am considering
1 - ZRH - JFK Swiss J
2 - MUC/FRA LX F if I wait for two weeks before departure and hope there are seats available or
3 - Milan - JFK EK F

Any thoughts or other suggestions?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
LX F out of MUC/FRA or via all 3 MUC-FRA-ZRH-JFK/EWAR is most appealing to me but not for everyone. LH FCL in MUC is a nice experience, the FCT in FRA is great and the FCL in ZRH is very Swiss in a good way. F on the A330 or 748i from FRA is not a bad alternative but I generally would avoid much time in Frankfurt and rather go for Munich, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, AMS or Budapest over it.

Do you have 4 whole days in HKG with departure on the 5th day? I don't feel 4 days is enough if you're leaving on that last day.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I would take the train from Munich down to the Otztal Valley in Austria via Innsbruck and spend some time there. Go hiking, relax at the Aqua Dome. Tons of great family-run B&B's in the area (Langenfeld is the town to head to). Then double-back to Innsbruck and take the train down into northern Italy. Explore that part of the country (Venice, Bolzano, etc) and then either EK MXP-JFK or head back up to ZRH and connect on to LH F back to the US. Personally I'd favor LH F.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:34 am

If going to Angkor fly direct from Hong Kong and on to Chiang Mai on a paid ticket. Will save you a lot of time and can be done very cheaply. Also worthwhile is Hoi An which is 30 minutes from Danang (direct flight from HK) and has direct connection to Angkor. Also an option is Luang Prabang in Laos which can be combined with Angkor and you can take an overnight boat trip to the Thai border (close to Chiang Rai)

I'd cut a day (or two) from LAX.

Don't be to stuck in Asia only using miles as you could miss out on some great destinations and save a lot of time.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by erik123
If going to Angkor fly direct from Hong Kong and on to Chiang Mai on a paid ticket. Will save you a lot of time and can be done very cheaply. Also worthwhile is Hoi An which is 30 minutes from Danang (direct flight from HK) and has direct connection to Angkor. Also an option is Luang Prabang in Laos which can be combined with Angkor and you can take an overnight boat trip to the Thai border (close to Chiang Rai)

I'd cut a day (or two) from LAX.

Don't be to stuck in Asia only using miles as you could miss out on some great destinations and save a lot of time.
Great suggestions & I plan on using paid tickets in Asia. I can cancel the HKG - BKK with no penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.