Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trivial Question: Country with no alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Trivial Question: Country with no alcohol

Is there any country in the world you can go to where there is no alcohol at all?

Not a biggie, but I've been surprised to find that there is quite a bit of alcohol drunk in places like Saudi and Iran.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The USA tried it. Did not stop consumption. Mafia et al got rich(er).

Other countries are still learning.

http://www.quitalcohol.com/informati...l-illegal.html
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I'm not a supporter of prohibition, but would like to experience an alcohol free society. I think there's a difference between prohibition in a previously alcohol drinking society than a society where everyone had grown up without alcohol. Or, there would be if such a place existed.

I was particularly unimpressed to learn about the alcohol brewing and drinking culture among expats in Saudi Arabia. E.g. a certain episode of 'Banged Up Abroad'.

BTW: Your link is wrong concerning Iran. It says that Iran has an alcohol prohibition, but it's only for Muslims. Non-Muslims e.g. Armenian Christians can brew and buy/sell alcohol, and it seems then not uncommonly illicitly sell it to Muslims as well.

Wikipedia Article on 'Alcohol in Iran'.

Under the law, it is forbidden for Iran's Muslim citizens to consume alcohol. However, there is open violation of the law. Alcohol drinking is so widespread that Iranians are the third highest consumers of alcohol in Muslim-majority Middle Eastern countries, behind Lebanon and Turkey (in both of which it is legal to drink), with an annual per capita consumption of 1.02 Liters.[6] Much of the alcoholic beverages consumed by Iranian citizens is smuggled from Iraqi Kurdistan into Iran.[7]
I was interested to read in your link that there is prohibition in several Indian states. I didn't know that.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I'm not a supporter of prohibition, but would like to experience an alcohol free society.
Why does a "society" have to be a country?

I bet you could find a commune/kibbutz/enclave that meets your needs.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Why does a "society" have to be a country?

I bet you could find a commune/kibbutz/enclave that meets your needs.
I'm just imagining things. A commune/kibbutz is too small an environment. It's not the same as being able to walk around in a much wider area with no alcohol.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Saudi Arabia. Besides expat compounds (where access is strictly controlled) and the Diplomatic Quarter of Riyadh (in specific areas too), it is almost impossible to find.

It isn't legally available anywhere.
No to say that it doesn't exist - but for the average person, it is out of reach.

Edit: seems like I totally missed the part mentioning Saudi Arabia.

There are a few states in India (but not the whole country) where prohibition still exists (Gujarat, Bihar, Nagaland, Manipur and the territory of Lakshadweep).
I'm fairly sure it's available there but not about how easy it is.

Ro

Last edited by RohanDXB; Aug 1, 2017 at 6:27 am Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: *G
1. death
2. taxes
3. recreational drugs
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
1. death
2. taxes
3. recreational drugs
LOL!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:36 pm

Brunei is dry.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzed
Brunei is dry.
Both in law and reality?

Looking on TripAdvisor, I find:

Sale of all alcohol is banned in Brunei (including hotels). However non-Muslim visitors over 17 years old are allowed to bring in alcohol into Brunei for their personal consumption.

Brunei has one of the most generous duty free allowances of any country in the world. Regulations permit two litres of alcohol (spirits or wine) and twelve cans of beer to be imported every 48 hours. These can either be brought into the country upon arrival or purchased at any border at any time during your stay.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
but would like to experience an alcohol free society.
What you really want to experience is a society free of obnoxious people who have had a few. Try Algeria or Tunisia. Its always a shock for me when returning from North Africa or the Middle East and connecting in Frankfurt or returning home.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by RohanDXB
Saudi Arabia. Besides expat compounds (where access is strictly controlled) and the Diplomatic Quarter of Riyadh (in specific areas too), it is almost impossible to find.

It isn't legally available anywhere.
No to say that it doesn't exist - but for the average person, it is out of reach.

Edit: seems like I totally missed the part mentioning Saudi Arabia.

There are a few states in India (but not the whole country) where prohibition still exists (Gujarat, Bihar, Nagaland, Manipur and the territory of Lakshadweep).
I'm fairly sure it's available there but not about how easy it is.

Ro
Certainly is in Gujarat when you have the necessary paperwork
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Certainly is in Gujarat when you have the necessary paperwork
And I thought I heard that Gujarat has one of the highest levels of alcohol consumption in the country despite the prohibition!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There are some US counties that are dry. Some of them are in Alaska ('Boroughs') and are probably the same physical size as some mid-major EU countries. With Alaska, it's typically in areas with majority indigenous populations where town leaders feel drinking causes too many health and societal problems.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
We spent several years living in Oman where alcohol is available, but only from discrete alcohol shops to those licensed (and only able to purchase to a certain percentage of salary) and in hotel bars etc. I like that it was available, but was to be discrete and not impact on anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.