Trivial Question: Country with no alcohol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trivial Question: Country with no alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'm living in a (rather downtrodden; it feels like I'm in suburban Maryland) KSA compound now, and it's pretty clear that anything goes once you're inside. There's even a restaurant that moonlights as a club (receiving non-compound guests, too) weekend nights.
Well, since writing this, I flew through the KSA on my way to BAH. They took my drink away much earlier before landing than usual and that was enough for me. Not keen to return .

Bahrain on the other hand seems to be to Saudi and drinking what Vegas is to the USA with gambling. I had plenty of fun and saw plenty of intoxicated Saudis in their thawbs.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:02 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by helvetic
Well, since writing this, I flew through the KSA on my way to BAH. They took my drink away much earlier before landing than usual and that was enough for me. Not keen to return .

Bahrain on the other hand seems to be to Saudi and drinking what Vegas is to the USA with gambling. I had plenty of fun and saw plenty of intoxicated Saudis in their thawbs.
Must be why I prefer KSA.

OTOH, if you went to one of the Saudia lounges, did you notice the apple-flavored non-alcoholic Budweiser?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
Just as an additional comment here: in two weeks in Iran I didn't see alcohol once. Not in a bottle, not being drunk, not a single person obviously under the influence.
You could fly from there to Baku or Tbilisi/Batumi and see bunch of iranians and arabs coming there specifically to drink into oblivion.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
Just as an additional comment here: in two weeks in Iran I didn't see alcohol once. Not in a bottle, not being drunk, not a single person obviously under the influence.

There is alcohol there, as I met people who admitted that they drink, and one person who mentioned to me that she had some bottles of wine that other tourists had left behind. But, that was the closest to alcohol that I got. If I'd wanted to drink some alcohol, I could have. But, I didn't.

Yes, it's obvious that I didn't attend the 'right' parties
Alcohol is drank (understandably) behind closed doors. Most of it is smuggled from Iraq.
Thats apart from the Armenian Church that brews their own beer (banana flavoured IIRC)

When I was in Brunei - which is technically also dry - that didnt stop people from having it stocked at home.

I will never forget going to the only bar in Damascus in 2005 (my early 20s when drinking was much easier than today) for beers . Quite a scene.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jan 11, 2019 at 7:26 am
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, I'm aware that there is alcohol in Iran and if I'd wanted some, I could easily have obtained some. I'm aware of Iranians going out of country for various things that are not available at home. But, my point is that in wandering around Iran for two weeks, I didn't even see any alcohol or obvious drunkenness. It's true that I wasn't looking for it, but also I didn't avoid it BTW: I visited both Armenian and Greek Churches, but no alcohol was on display. That I noticed. Again, I wasn't looking for it nor was I taking any care to avoid it. It just wasn't there in churches or in public by default.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Alcohol is drank (understandably) behind closed doors. Most of it is smuggled from Iraq.
Thats apart from the Armenian Church that brews their own beer (banana flavoured IIRC)

When I was in Brunei - which is technically also dry - that didnt stop people from having it stocked at home.

I will never forget going to the only bar in Damascus in 2005 (my early 20s when drinking was much easier than today) for beers . Quite a scene.
Azerbaijan seems to send in lots of alcohol into Iran.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.