Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotels/chains restrict guests ability to lower room temperatures

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Unhappy Which hotels/chains restrict guests ability to lower room temperatures

I'm putting this here because of it's generalistic nature and not applicable to any chain or hotel.

In our travels, Canada, USA, Japan we've noticed that some hotels severely limit how low the room ac may be set. Often it cannot be lowered below 74f or thereabouts - when we need 68f - but management sometimes block that from being set.

Now prior to making a reservation we phone the specific property to inquire what their policy is - if we can get a statement to that fact!

Anyone else come across or been bothered by this?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I just tried my current room - 68 is the min. I've never noticed one before as I rarely go below 70. I would have notice a minimum as high as 74.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I don't know that I've ever stayed in a hotel where the air conditioning temperature control couldn't be set to a reasonably low temperature like 66F/19C. Though plenty of times the system has not been able to attain such a temperature. Sometimes that's been because it's a larger hotel has a central HVAC system that must be switched between heating and cooling modes centrally, and it's still in heat mode on a hot day off-season. Other times, particularly in South Korea, the hotel's system just isn't capable of making it any cooler than about 24C (75F) in the summer.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:24 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Been in hotels in Hawaii where opening the balcony door turns off the air conditioner. Makes sense, since it is useless and wasteful to run the air conditioner with the balcony door open.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: AY+
In some cases the fancoil runs only cooling or heating liquid, not both. So basically it´s impossible to adjust the temperature both directions. So, in summer you get cold air and winter hot, spring and autumn, depends the weather on past few weeks how lucky you are, because the hotel changes it only twice a year.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
http://lifehacker.com/override-your-...t-o-1462595059
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:53 am

I've been in hotels that even shut the A/C off if you turn the bathroom fan on, similar to the Hawaii situation.

I was just in the Hyatt Regency in Seattle and I had it all the way down to 64. Took the blankets and pillows from both beds and was in heaven. After this experience I think I'm going to purposely book double rooms from now on.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

I was recently in Frankfurt. The Hotel in the city ONLY had heat, no AC. I get that its Germany..but still, in the middle of summer it's hot.

What bothers me more are those hotels where the air conditioning is motion activated. Fine if you are awake in the room, moving around..but when you go to bed, it stops and begins to get hot. I have run into this in Las Vegas a few times and even in Tucson, which is simply cruel.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I don't know that I've ever stayed in a hotel where the air conditioning temperature control couldn't be set to a reasonably low temperature like 66F/19C. Though plenty of times the system has not been able to attain such a temperature. Sometimes that's been because it's a larger hotel has a central HVAC system that must be switched between heating and cooling modes centrally, and it's still in heat mode on a hot day off-season. Other times, particularly in South Korea, the hotel's system just isn't capable of making it any cooler than about 24C (75F) in the summer.
I'd say 19 degrees is a pretty unreasonably high minimum temperature for sleepy my in!!! I'd take 2-3 degrees off that thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I was recently in Frankfurt. The Hotel in the city ONLY had heat, no AC. I get that its Germany..but still, in the middle of summer it's hot.

What bothers me more are those hotels where the air conditioning is motion activated. Fine if you are awake in the room, moving around..but when you go to bed, it stops and begins to get hot. I have run into this in Las Vegas a few times and even in Tucson, which is simply cruel.
Please name-and-shame this hotel in Tucson so that we all know to avoid it.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Cool Looks like there are a few hacks possible..........!

I may have been a little hasty with my initial post as it seems that a number of these hotel room a/c controls can be overridden. I won't say "hacked" because in some folks minds the word simply implies questionable legality!!!

It seems that simultaneously and or sequentially pushing a specific sequence of buttons on the room a/c control changes the display to "V I P" and allows the temperature to be set below any predetermined limit. It also has another huge benefit in that it disables the motion detection cut-off! No more waking up at 3am with the a/c off and room feeling like an oven!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL
At the Mayflower in DC (Marriott group), the lowest setting the thermostat would allow was 68 degrees. However, that setting lowered the temp to ~72-74 in the room. Being used to low humidity and temps, I couln't sleep. I called the front desk several times. Once I started asking for a new room, they send the maintenance guy, who switched the filter and disabled the room thermostat. Then he showed me how to adjust the unit itself to my preferred temperature.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Guess none of you stayed at 2-3* hotels in Malaysia/Indonesia/Vietnam/Thailand.... Good luck to have working AC which can cool down room to +22C. Just saying..
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Proudelitist

I agree- these types of places are a pain. I am now avoiding them.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

Most luxury hotels have the a/c set within a range if 18-26 degrees Celsius with the default set point of 22 degrees, but this can be adjusted if a call is made to the FO requesting the change. Most hotels are fine with this IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.